Live from the Mardi Gras02/17/24 cruise. It is Mardi Gras time (well close), come on along for the ride.

jimbo5544

After some head scratching things early on debark (seeing the Legend at the Royal pier, and someone telling me the Vista was leaving, which turned out to be not true, she was just going to the basin and spinning around and coming back to her slot), we went up to Lido for breakfast.  We had been told to be in Center Stage at 7:15 am.  After breakfast, we went back down to the room to get our bags.  Empty elevator…that is a good thing.  As we entered our room, TJ came on and said they were waiting to get cleared but expected to start soon.  We were doing carry off (had parked in the garage), and our room was 2 in from elevator lobby on 9.  Walked in got our bags, came out and the first three elevators were packed.  Timing is everything.   

• Like 5

There were 4 of us (others doing their own thing), the 4th elevator had some space, so we sent the girls down to 6.  Next elevator had only 2 people, we hopped on.  They were waiting and we headed off to Centerstage.    We passed about 30o people waiting with bags and were instructed to loop around by Brass Magnolia bar.  When we came around the corner, they were already letting Diamonds go and we headed off.

• Like 3

Way better system on PC than Miami, we went down to the ramps, past luggage (they were up to number 4 putting bags out), no Customs and out.  Over to the garage up to 2 and out of the garage by 7:20.  It cannot get much better than that.  3 hours later we walked in the door.  Next up summary.

• Like 8

This was one interesting cruise.  Our kids grew up (5 that are in their 40’s now) on cruising on Carnival and lots during spring break weeks.  We typically do not cruise these weeks, due to the crowds, just easier not to.  When two of them approached us on doing this cruise, we agreed,  Got us an opportunity to spend a solid week with 4 of our 15 grand kids.  One took the aft excel suite on 10th floor starboard we had originally booked and the rest of us were in Oceans suites in a row on port side.     

• Like 4

Our previous MG cruises were a balcony on 14 starboard side (2nd sailing) and 15th floor aft excel suite port side twice. The Ocean suite gave us the room we wanted. And we were happy with it.  The draw back (my bad booking this….) was the overhand, you can see it in some of my pics, from I guess Pig and Anchor, obstructed our view directly down (the ship just out beneath our floor).  Not a show stopper but a little disappointing.  Our Room Steward Sam was great.  

• Like 2

Dining - we normally take assigned early but one of our kids family wanted late seating, so we all agreed,   As I think we mentioned before there was 16 of us sitting together (rest were doing their own thing) and when we saw our dining tables, we were not together, went down and straightened it out.  We had planned on 3 specialty dining nights days 3,4 and 5 in Tepanyaki, Rudi’s and Steakhouse.  Not my preference, but due to our debacle on day 2 dining (the worst MDR experience we have ever had) they did not want to go back to the MDR (4 of them were first time cruisers)  we ended up doing Cucina and Chi Bang the last two nights. 

• Like 4

Teppanyaki chef excelled, the group loved him, great dinner.  I love Rudi’s and we had a great meal, same for Steakhouse.  Cucina was ok and Chi Bang was the best service team we had.  They over achieved in all aspects.  

We normally have breakfast in pig and anchor.  We are early risers and spend some time relaxing till the gang got up there, where it was less crowded.  Not big breakfast eaters, but there seemed to be a little less variety in choices.  Tried to put my finger on what it was, but could not.  One thing thatDID improve was the coffee situation.  They put regular coffee in pump pots, instead of those coffee machines…

• Like 5

The good specialty dining did temper my huge disappointment in the 2nd night dining in the MDR.  Again, I want to be clear, this was NOT the fault of the dining team, they were cranking on all cylinders,  in my estimation, their only downfall was not addressing it to us during the experience, not after.  On. At a higher level, something is wrong with they system when you wait over half an hour to get your order taken.  I will make my thoughts known on the survey and mgt friends I have in the company, in the field and in Miami.  I did have a discussion with the Hotel Manager, but was not satisfied with his answer.

• Like 3

While I asked, I could not get the demographic details of our cruise.  I do know there was over 6,400 and over 1,700 blue card members.  Based on my view at the Diamond Luncheon, I was guess there was a little over 300.  No idea on Plats.  This cruise was packed (knew it goin in_).  The MG does allow some crowd dispersement, but by far, the biggest issue was bars during peak times.  There were times when some were 3 deep.  Simply amazing.  I would guess this was due to cheers participation but have no idea,  It def cut down on us getting a cocktail before(or after) dinner, just in my reticence in waiting to wade in to get one.  I usually like spending some time at Alchemy and the Fortune Teller bar, and as I think back, we might have done it two times….

• Like 2

We. Love Summer landing (OK we really love Loft 19, but not this trip).  We spent the majority of pool time there.  It resonates with us (maybe the similarity - to a degree- like the Havana area on Vista class.  Spent a little time in Serenity and ate the specialty salad creation a couple of times there, first for us.

• Like 5

We did not go for the ports, it was for the family.  Been to all three ports many times.  Of the three, we prob had the best time at GT,  That said it was packed also.  Grand kids loved the flow rider there.

• Like 4

Very good cruise, def not top ten, but overall we had a really good time.  Would we do it again?  Just the two of us….no.  That said, we are already booked for next year with the same crew next Feb school break (we booked it while on this cruise.  

We have cruised 3 times in 4 months and due for a break.  Our next two (right now at least for us) cruise experiences will be on the Celebration in July and November.  Thanks for coming along for the ride.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great review, as usual.  Thank you for taking the time posting it.  Cruising with family can be stressful at times, but the memories it creates for everyone is fantastic.  Our "kids" still talk about all our family vacations. with our Galapagos cruise being the winner at this moment!  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

The good specialty dining did temper my huge disappointment in the 2nd night dining in the MDR.  Again, I want to be clear, this was NOT the fault of the dining team, they were cranking on all cylinders,  in my estimation, their only downfall was not addressing it to us during the experience, not after.  On. At a higher level, something is wrong with they system when you wait over half an hour to get your order taken.  I will make my thoughts known on the survey and mgt friends I have in the company, in the field and in Miami.  I did have a discussion with the Hotel Manager, but was not satisfied with his answer.

Since the restart Patti and I have gone to the MDR maybe a dozen times in over a dozen cruises, and ten of those times it was not an enjoyable experience. I chalk it up to how they staff the MDR since the restart. They are really understaffed which creates a lot of disconnects, resulting in a very choppy service. If we want the MDR menu we just go to the buffet which has most of the same items as that nights menus. Quick and easy with less frustration. 😎

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

While I asked, I could not get the demographic details of our cruise.  I do know there was over 6,400 and over 1,700 blue card members.  Based on my view at the Diamond Luncheon, I was guess there was a little over 300.  No idea on Plats.  This cruise was packed (knew it goin in_).  The MG does allow some crowd dispersement, but by far, the biggest issue was bars during peak times.  There were times when some were 3 deep.  Simply amazing.  I would guess this was due to cheers participation but have no idea,  It def cut down on us getting a cocktail before(or after) dinner, just in my reticence in waiting to wade in to get one.  I usually like spending some time at Alchemy and the Fortune Teller bar, and as I think back, we might have done it two times….

We were on the Celebration in January we noticed the same thing with the bars. Alchemy was packed even before it even opened. I didn't have a drink there the entire cruise. If you waited long enough at Latitudes and Golden Jubilee, seats would open up. Didn't go thirsty though! 😁

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

We were on the Celebration in January we noticed the same thing with the bars. Alchemy was packed even before it even opened. I didn't have a drink there the entire cruise. If you waited long enough at Latitudes and Golden Jubilee, seats would open up. Didn't go thirsty though! 😁

LOL, my liver is not complaining.  Not a terrible thing and we made it work.  That said, a little disappointing.  I will report back in August if we have the same “terrible” problem. 😅

I do wonder if cheers is playing a part in this.  The only day we really saw bar service around Summer Landing was the last day (also the best weather day tho).  Our group had a discussion around this very topic the last night dinner in Chi Bang.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I definitely am nervous about that on our March cruise next year (it’s unfortunately spring break for me because I’m a teacher , so I know it will be packed). Did you notice any better places to get a drink at times? Were the pools or hot tubs ever open?

Edited by travelinjess85

1 hour ago, wareaglefan444 said:

Thanks for the great review, I just booked the same itinerary for July, could you please tell me which two nights were elegant nights. Thanks. 

You are welcome, happy to do it.  Elegant nights were Sunday (day 2 sea day) and Thursday (day 5 Grand Turk). 

2 hours ago, travelinjess85 said:

I definitely am nervous about that on our March cruise next year (it’s unfortunately spring break for me because I’m a teacher , so I know it will be packed). Did you notice any better places to get a drink at times? Were the pools or hot tubs ever open?

Pools and hot tubs were open every day.  My experience is March sailings are not as full as February, bit that is just my opinion.  To the best of my recollection, the busiest bars were Serenity (when the weather is nice, Alchemy, Fortune Teller and Pig and Anchor when anything is going on there.  Brass Magnolia, Grand Central and the outside portion of Bar Della Rosa.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, wareaglefan444 said:

Not sure that lobster tail is worth the hassle you had in the MDR

Not even close.  Almost walked out, my better half calmed me down.  Without a doubt, THE worst MDR experience we have ever had.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Pools and hot tubs were open every day.  My experience is March sailings are not as full as February, bit that is just my opinion.  To the best of my recollection, the busiest bars were Serenity (when the weather is nice, Alchemy, Fortune Teller and Pig and Anchor when anything is going on there.  Brass Magnolia, Grand Central and the outside portion of Bar Della Rosa.

Thanks for your help and your great review and pictures!! Was very fun to follow along!