Can you bring one wheel or e scooter on celebrity eclipse Bermuda cruise

annsato2362

7 minutes ago, CruisinNole said:

That's what I said. You would have to rent an e-scooter, not drive your personal e-scooter. 

Non-residents must rely on taxis, buses, or rental scooters."

That certainly seems to answer that!  So leave it at home.  As mentioned before, I am still surprised they would now include e-scooters along with the more traditional Bermuda mopeds as rentals.

48 minutes ago, CruisinNole said:

That's what I said. You would have to rent an e-scooter, not drive your personal e-scooter. From the US Dept of State, Bermuda International Travel and Transportation:

"Road Conditions and Safety:  Driving on the island is on the left, British-style, and the maximum speed limit is 15 mph in Hamilton and 21 mph on the rest of the island. Under Bermudian law, non-residents are not allowed to own, rent, or drive four-wheeled vehicles, except for a limited number of all electric rental mini cars that hold two passengers. Non-residents must rely on taxis, buses, or rental scooters."

The e-scooters and one -wheels are not four wheeled vehicles.  So your reference does not apply to them. E-scooters have two wheels and one wheels have one wheel…..

45 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

That certainly seems to answer that!  So leave it at home.  As mentioned before, I am still surprised they would now include e-scooters along with the more traditional Bermuda mopeds as rentals.

It doesn’t answer it. It is referring to four wheeled vehicles. I guess people don’t know what an e-scooter is. See picture in previous post #18.  2 wheels. And a one wheel has one wheel. 

Edited by Charles4515

11 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It doesn’t answer it. It is referring to four wheeled vehicles. I guess people don’t know what an e-scooter is. See picture in previous post #18.  2 wheels. And a one wheel has one wheel. 

It is not referring just to 4-wheel vehicles.  Re-read it. It also says that non residents must rely on rental scooters.  Are e-scooters not considered a scooter?  Aren't scooters 2-wheeled vehicles? This means, at least in my mind, that if one brings an e-scooter to the island it can't be used on the streets there - only those that are rented there.  Which, as was posted before, have recently been added as rental vehicles in Bermuda.

Am I missing something here?

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

It is not referring just to 4-wheel vehicles.  Re-read it. It also says that non residents will must rely on rental scooters.  Are e-scooters not considered a scooter?  Aren't scooters 2-wheeled vehicles? This means, at least in my mind, that if one brings an e-scooter to the island it can't be used on the streets there - only those that are rented there.

Am I missing something here?

In Bermuda a scooter is a moped type vehicle. See photos in this ad.

https://www.elbowbeachcycles.bm

Bermuda may not have caught up with the e-scooter or one wheel fads. Because they are not mentioned does not mean they are allowed but the descriptions posted about what is not allowed are not referencing what we call e-scooters or one wheels. 

Edited by Charles4515

31 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

In Bermuda a scooter is a moped type vehicle. See photos in this ad.

https://www.elbowbeachcycles.bm

Bermuda may not have caught up with the e-scooter or one wheel fads. Because they are not mentioned does not mean they are allowed but the descriptions posted about what is not allowed are not referencing what we call e-scooters or one wheels. 

No challenge in this - just my confusion. 

I agree with you in what I always interpreted as a moped type vehicle with Bermuda - as mentioned previously.  But from one of your previous posts what you said with that post (below) somewhat contradicts your current comment (above).  Your previous post:

Here is a link to a company renting them in Bermuda. https://www.grabawhip.com

As Bermuda is extremely regulated it is valid to ask if tourists can bring their own. They might require them to be rented. 

You pointed out that e-scooters are now being rented in Bermuda.  And this is what raised the question that as they are now renting e-scooters in Bermuda and with the post saying that non-residents must rely on rental scooters, would that not include e-scooters? 

Do you see my confusion? - from your own posts.

Either way - if for no other reason than the lack of clear understanding - I stand by my suggestion for the OP to leave the e-scooter at home.  (As well as the one wheel).

15 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

As Bermuda is extremely regulated it is valid to ask if tourists can bring their own. They might require them to be rented.

I said they might require them to be rented. They also might not. I have not seen anything one way or the other. What I posted is speculation. I do agree with you that they should leave the e-scooter and one wheel at home. It does not require regulations by Bermuda or the cruise line to come to that conclusion. It is common sense. I was surprised that the question was asked. I am not sure where and how OP planned to use those items. Much of Bermuda has no sidewalks and the roads are in bad condition. Even if allowed it would be a bad idea. I wouldn’t even rent a moped which is allowed. Pretty dangerous, Lots of pot holes. They just got the asphalt factory back online. Maybe around the Dockyard a one wheel but the Dockyard is quite walkable. 

Edited by Charles4515

17 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I said they might require them to be rented. They also might not. I have not seen anything one way or the other. What I posted is speculation. I do agree with you that they should leave the e-scooter and one wheel at home. It does not require regulations by Bermuda or the cruise line to come to that conclusion. It is common sense. I was surprised that the question was asked. I am not sure where and how OP planned to use those items. Much of Bermuda has no sidewalks and the roads are in bad condition. Even if allowed it would be a bad idea. I wouldn’t even rent a moped which is allowed. Pretty dangerous, Lots of pot holes. They just got the asphalt factory back online. Maybe around the Dockyard a one wheel but the Dockyard is quite walkable. 

You and I are in agreement.  Keep in mind that my first response was "yes" to it being OK to bring the e-scooter - LOL.  At the time I was suggesting that it was OK with the cruise line to bring and it not being a prohibited item, not thinking of any Bermuda regulations.  I was also thinking more of a small sit down scooter v the two wheel version.

Then as the responses continued and I realized that it was a 2-wheel e-scooter, I changed my view on the whole subject to that as last stated.  The rest of the responses were just my confusion in trying understand the current state there, etc.

We've been to Bermuda a dozen times, at one point rented the mopeds, have seen accidents as well as knew people that were in them, but have never seen e-scooters on the road.  Don't think its a very good plan to now have them included.  Glad I don't have to be a taxi - or worse - bus driver there if they are on the road!

Agree as well that common sense should prevail.

12 minutes ago, CruisinNole said:

Not to belabor the point, but this looks to me that e-scooters are common in Bermuda and I'm guessing that they must be rented and personal e-scooters would not be allowed. Check out grabawhip.com

Yeah, Charles4525 provided that link earlier.  They may be becoming common, but they must be relatively new there as they weren't there in July '22 when we were there last.  The mini-car rentals had only recently entered service there then as well.

Hospitals and drs always had plenty of patients from the hefty scooter wipe outs.. Maybe the lighter ones go slower and  are less likely to fall on top of someone who crashes out!

Still unsure if the batteries can be charged on the ship??   They are a  younger person technology so ????

29 minutes ago, hcat said:

Still unsure if the batteries can be charged on the ship??   They are a  younger person technology so ????

Mobility scooters for use on the ship can be charged on the ship, I guess by plugging the charger into the room plug?  I would think the e-scooters would be charged in a similar manner.

1 hour ago, CruisinNole said:

Not to belabor the point, but this looks to me that e-scooters are common in Bermuda and I'm guessing that they must be rented and personal e-scooters would not be allowed. Check out grabawhip.com

No, they are not common. I have cruised there 18 times over the last 23 years and have never seen anyone on an e- scooter. The e- scooter rentals started sometime last year and no one has yet mentioned renting one on forums I read. Perhaps it has become more common since this new venture started. Time will tell. You really should stop guessing though. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Alakegirl said:

All of this makes me wonder, what about e-bikes?  Could you bring one of them?

All I see prohibited by Celebrity are hoverboards. There have been thousands of hoverboard fires so specific

banning of them makes sense. There have been fatal fires. One wheels, e-scooters and e-bikes use similar type batteries so they probably should be banned too from cruise ships. 

If you are asking about Bermuda they can be rented there. I advise against though. On an Oceania sailing I was on to Bermuda a lady did an e-bike tour the cruise line offered and broke her hip. Lucky for her that was the week the hip surgeon from Canada was on the island to do surgeries.  

16 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

You really should stop guessing though. 

This is just a guess, but I guess since it appears that no one has first hand knowledge of whether an e-scooter is allowed on Celebrity or is allowed to be driven on Bermuda then every post is just a guess, including yours. I guess...

11 minutes ago, CruisinNole said:

This is just a guess, but I guess since it appears that no one has first hand knowledge of whether an e-scooter is allowed on Celebrity or is allowed to be driven on Bermuda then every post is just a guess, including yours. I guess...

Well you guessed that e-scooters are common in Bermuda which they are not. So much for your guesses. How recent was your last visit to Bermuda? I could make a guess...

• Like 1