Different dress code question.

I have searched for the dress code online, and seem to come up with different versions. One version mentions sneakers,— fine during the day, not fine during the evening. Other versions don’t mention shoes at all. This question is about the definition of “sneakers”. As I’m sure all know, there is a fairly new style of mens’ shoes that are designed rather like low sneakers, but they have fine leather uppers. I’ve seen men wear them with suits and ties. So my only question is whether shoes of this type would be appropriate on Elegant Casual nights.

My husband wears them all the time. Has worn them recently on Navigator and Splendor. He only  takes two pair of shoes both rubber sole with leather type tops, one brown mostly for daytime wear and one black for evening. no problem1

My husband used to wear black sneakers all the time.  He would say that if they were going to get on the ground to check that they’re sneakers…..anyway no one ever commented and we sailed with Regent many times.

4 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Due to people in this age group often having foot issues, the crew is understandably lenient with footwear. The shoes you describe are fine.

I think the people who consider leather sneakers appropriate for elegant casual, and wear them with suits at work are not part of "this age group often having foot issues". It's the younger people who would rather not wear leather dress shoes under any circumstance, and certainly don't want to bring them on a cruise.  And even though I'm in the older age group, I agree with them.

If your shoes don't attract everyone's attention in the dining room, then they should be acceptable. A pair of dark leather sneakers will blend in nicely with elegant casual attire on the cruise.

There are, however, always a few old men that wear old white sneakers to dinner, and I don't think it has anything to do with foot issues. They usually also wear a hat. White leather sneakers work well for walking excursions, as well as on flights.

But, there's only so much room in your luggage for more shoes, and as you get older, it's harder to manage a lot of luggage. We haven't gotten to that point yet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have several. Three are Pikolinos, two are Kennith Cole, and one is a brand I don’t recognize. But all have real leather uppers. One Pikolonos is white leather and will be left at home. I’ll bring a dark brown pair, and possibly a charcoal pair. I like them for comfort and light weight. They help walking with stability. Important as I just turned 80, and sometimes the floor on a ship moves. 

Interestingly, my search for the Regent dress code revealed several slightly different versions, and only one mentioned shoes. It said sneakers OK  before 6:00 PM and not after that. The question became which is the real dress code, and what is the definition of “sneakers”. But thanks to my CC friends, I’ll take and wear those shoes with no shame. (I’ll bet nobody even looks at my shoes.)