Lanyards and phones ?

bahacca

We haven't sailed since 2018. Do we still need lanyards for our sign and sail cards? I have heard menus are now digital, so you need your phone. If you find you need your phone on you at all times, do you use a phone lanyard, small purse?(Guys, be quiet. Not all of our clothing has pockets like yours!😉)

Its personal preference.  I personally still use a lanyard and find it convenient.  But others like my teenage son just stick their card in their phone case et.  I have though switched from a neck lanyard to a wrist lanyard in recent years.  As for the phone that just goes in my bra lol as I don't wear much with pockets either.  There is no set standard though and do what works for you!

9 minutes ago, bahacca said:

We haven't sailed since 2018. Do we still need lanyards for our sign and sail cards? I have heard menus are now digital, so you need your phone. If you find you need your phone on you at all times, do you use a phone lanyard, small purse?(Guys, be quiet. Not all of our clothing has pockets like yours!😉)

The cards haven't changed sicne 2018 so if you needed a lanyard then, then you need one now. I didn't need a lanyard in 2018 and don't need one now.

You can get a paper menu in the MDR if you wish.

They've definitely digitized almost everything, deck plans, menus, Fun Times, are all available on your phone. You can usually find regular menus at the restaurants and bars and hard copies of the Fun Times as well. I use my phone on the ship, but as little as possible, typically only for the occasional picture. I personally miss the days when we got on the ship, locked our phones in the safe and didn't touch them the whole time. Simpler days.....

• Like 4

I have a small, crossbody phone purse type of thing which fits my phone (which I also keep on me for pictures) and has a card area where I slip my S&S card into.  The strap also has a clip on end (where it attaches to purse) that also can accommodate the S&S card and will hang outside the purse.  I use it both ways being that it is a crossbody strap makes it very easy to wear and not worry about. 

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, sunkey1 said:

I personally miss the days when we got on the ship, locked our phones in the safe and didn't touch them the whole time. Simpler days.....

You still totally can...

• Like 3

I always bring a couple of small cross bodies purses.  In different colors and designs to match what I have on that day or my dinner wear.  I keep my phone, lip stuff, cigarettes and a lighter in it.

I use my phone for checking the fun times, making dinner reservations, taking photos, and checking the time.

I do use a lanyard for my card. I find it easier than keeping the card in the purse.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mz-s said:

You still totally can...

Yes, I could, except you'll note that I said you can USUALLY get hard copies of menus, Fun Times, etc. I didn't say ALWAYS, and there were times that I had to use my phone to access those items.

28 minutes ago, sunkey1 said:

Yes, I could, except you'll note that I said you can USUALLY get hard copies of menus, Fun Times, etc. I didn't say ALWAYS, and there were times that I had to use my phone to access those items.

Fun Times has been delivered to the stateroom every night for months now, not sure when your last cruise was - this started back in the fall of 23. Around that time they also seemed to bring menus around each night by default as well.

8 minutes ago, hurricane0226 said:

need phone to check in for your meal with YTD.

The best argument for using your phone on the cruise, and frankly it is much more convenient. But the old way of checking in at the door is still valid and available for those of us who wish to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bahacca said:

Sorry, not being quiet. 😋  I don't use a lanyard and neither does my wife.  If I'm with her when she doesn't have pockets and isn't carrying a small purse (clutch?), then I'll carry her phone.  This typically happens in the evening because most of her daytime clothes have pockets.  She sometimes uses a waist-band thingy that holds her phone (especially when jogging).  I've also seen small stick-on card holders that attach to the back of a phone.  She is considering one of those to keep her phone and S&S together.

• Like 2

I switch back and forth between a few different options on a cruise depending on what I am doing or feeling like taking.  I have a small crossbody that fits my phone.  I use that for going to ports and when I am wearing dress.   I have a wrist lanyard and a couple neck lanyards with easy on/off clip for my card to switch out what I am using quickly.  I use a magnetic hook to hang them on the wall when we are in are room.  I have small pill cylinders that are hooked to all of them carry a couple tylenols and my medication I need to take in the afternoon (so I don't have to go back to the room if we are out and about).

17 hours ago, cacruisin said:

Its personal preference.  I personally still use a lanyard and find it convenient.  But others like my teenage son just stick their card in their phone case et.  I have though switched from a neck lanyard to a wrist lanyard in recent years.  As for the phone that just goes in my bra lol as I don't wear much with pockets either.  There is no set standard though and do what works for you!

I didn't think this was recommended as the phone can interfere with the card and make it unusable?

19 hours ago, bahacca said:

I like to wear my lanyard for my SS Card and menus are digital, I carry my phone everywhere, but when on island i like to take my lanyard off so I use a small black hobo bag by Miss Lulu its waterproof and can store a lot in it and I carry this around the ship as sometimes I have a bottle of water in it along with my phone and sun lotion.

I have never used a phone lanyard although that would also work - my sister does not use her phone she gets her paper menus and her paper fun times, I do all the checking in for YTD 

13 minutes ago, pinklucky61 said:

I got a phone case with a strap, pockets for card and a small zippered pocket. Works great for me, easy access to sail card.

I have one of these I brought on a cruise, but I was at a loss as to what to do with my sunglasses. I would lay them down on tables, counters, etc.  So I carry a small cross body that will fit a few small things.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vwgolf2 said:

I didn't think this was recommended as the phone can interfere with the card and make it unusable?

My daughter started using the stick on sleeve in college (2017) and has never had a problem. She still never carries a purse. 

I have a combination card sleeve/popsocket on my phone when I travel. It's very convenient. It's called the PopWallet. My phone is magsafe so it just snaps on with magnets when I need it and pops off when I don't.

I've never used a lanyard or a phone.

Menus are posted outside the dining room and paper FUN TIMES are available.  I'll do early dining so no need for a phone.

Sign and Sail is in the front flap of my purse.

I have a small crossbody bag that has credit card slots and plenty of room for a phone when I don't have pockets big enough (which is rare since I search for pocketed clothes, but you know how that goes). I can't stand anything around my neck, so no lanyard for me. 

• Like 1