Relocation cruises in 2024

Hi all. Just want some input here if possible.

I've looked at relocation cruises in the past and have heard that they're offered at a discount because they aren't fully featured (limited shows, events, etc.) and I'm not sure how RCL is treating it these days. They have a cruise listed this year for the Quantum that goes from Seattle to Tokyo with a total of 10 at sea days, and I'm not sure that this falls into "relocation" status because it looks like just a standard offering for the Quantum this year. I just want to know what to expect on a cruise like this - will all of the standard entertainment still be available? All nightly entertainers, piano bars, etc.? That's a lot of time at sea to not have anything going on, so any and all input is appreciated. I called RCL and they were very little help - seemed like I got pushed off to a third party that just checked the website and told me everything is fine.

Also, if anyone has any input on what a transpacific cruise would look like in terms of sailing (weather/sea conditions/etc.) that would definitely help as well.

23 minutes ago, jmgospo said:

Hi all. Just want some input here if possible.

I've looked at relocation cruises in the past and have heard that they're offered at a discount because they aren't fully featured (limited shows, events, etc.) and I'm not sure how RCL is treating it these days. They have a cruise listed this year for the Quantum that goes from Seattle to Tokyo with a total of 10 at sea days, and I'm not sure that this falls into "relocation" status because it looks like just a standard offering for the Quantum this year. I just want to know what to expect on a cruise like this - will all of the standard entertainment still be available? All nightly entertainers, piano bars, etc.? That's a lot of time at sea to not have anything going on, so any and all input is appreciated. I called RCL and they were very little help - seemed like I got pushed off to a third party that just checked the website and told me everything is fine.

Also, if anyone has any input on what a transpacific cruise would look like in terms of sailing (weather/sea conditions/etc.) that would definitely help as well.

While I can't speak specifically regarding a Transpacific but I was on a Transatlantic cruise in November on the Odyssey and there was a lot of entertainment.  Piano bar every night, live music around other venues, shows in the theatre and the 270, as well as lots of games and trivia.  We had such a good time that we are doing it again this year!

These are a "Repositioning" cruise itinerary and they are no different than any other cruise except they leave from one port and end at another. Onboard activities will be the same.

Weather can vary depending on time of year and itinerary.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jmgospo said:

I've looked at relocation cruises in the past and have heard that they're offered at a discount because they aren't fully featured (limited shows, events, etc.) and I'm not sure how RCL is treating it these days.

What you heard was incorrect.  We did a Sydney to Hawaii 18-night cruise (12 sea days) and the entertainment was the same standard/frequency as the more traditional 7-night round trip sailings.  

5 hours ago, jmgospo said:

they're offered at a discount because they aren't fully featured (limited shows, events, etc.)

They are typically lower priced simply because they are not as in demand as other sailings.

Having done quite a few repositioning cruises with Royal (mainly transatlantic / never transpacific). I actually feel they tend to up the entertainment.

Every day there will be a full schedule of events as a normal cruise. There of course is sometimes where there hasn’t been something on that we were interested in - so we grab breakfast / lunch / snack  or have a coffee during those times.

Some things that generally happen - that don’t always make a standard cruise with port intensive schedules -  are progressive trivia, learn a dance (such as thriller) throughout the cruise to then perform in the theatre or flash mob, crew talent shows, passenger talent shows, karaoke progressive round ending with theatre final, sometimes additional performances (with different content) from guest acts, sometimes additional performances from orchestra, ceremonies (crossing datelines, crossing equators), one off performances by the cast of the main shows.

A perk - on the transatlantic cruises I’ve done - is they tend to be about 70% capacity or less and usually there will be very few children.

We do like the longer cruises as you really get to spend more time talking and meeting the crew.

I saw the price of the cruise you are referencing a few days ago - at those prices I would be on it but my partner has already used his annual holiday allowance for our booked cruises this year. Even suites are a ridiculously low and tempting price for the sailing.