Regent Tahiti Cruises in their summer....?

How was the weather when cruising Tahiti in their summer season aboard Regent?

I don't understand why Regent chooses to cruise Tahiti in their summer! We are currently booked for February 26, 2025 but now I am having second thoughts after checking the weather for Tahiti the past couple of weeks. I know any tropical area can have rainy afternoons but it seems this time of year is worse than "some afternoon showers". 

One of the things we love about Regent is the size of the suites and the overall luxurious feeling of the ships. My impression from our travel agent is Paul Gauguin Cruises does not meet Regent's level of luxury or suite size and is more expensive. 

I would love to hear your experiences!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NanJ0508 said:

How was the weather when cruising Tahiti in their summer season aboard Regent?

I don't understand why Regent chooses to cruise Tahiti in their summer! We are currently booked for February 26, 2025 but now I am having second thoughts after checking the weather for Tahiti the past couple of weeks. I know any tropical area can have rainy afternoons but it seems this time of year is worse than "some afternoon showers". 

One of the things we love about Regent is the size of the suites and the overall luxurious feeling of the ships. My impression from our travel agent is Paul Gauguin Cruises does not meet Regent's level of luxury or suite size and is more expensive. 

I would love to hear your experiences!

We went on PG late May 2012 so long time ago.  We had a few showers but not too bad.  We enjoyed the cruise. I do think Regent has better cabins and service.  I don’t think I would go during the height of their cyclone season just like we don’t go to Caribbean in August and September. 

• Thanks 1

We just left the Mariner in Papeete 10 days ago. When you read about their wet season in Jan-April, believe it! Winds, blinding rain, and nothing like what you come to expect from Tahiti or the beautiful South Pacific. I’d avoid this time of year on a cruise ship, unless you like lots of missed ports, extremely choppy seas, and getting drenched! 

• Like 2

Just now, Marylebone37 said:

We just left the Mariner in Papeete 10 days ago. When you read about their wet season in Jan-April, believe it! Winds, blinding rain, and nothing like what you come to expect from Tahiti or the beautiful South Pacific. I’d avoid this time of year on a cruise ship, unless you like lots of missed ports, extremely choppy seas, and getting drenched! 

Oh, I am so sorry for you! But thank you for replying and sharing. We may have to rethink this Regent trip. A forum member who travels to the South Pacific a lot says December to April is a crap-shoot. For our pocketbook, these cruises are too expensive for a crap-shoot!

We still had a wonderful time on the Mariner, but it could have been any Caribbean destination during a tropical storm or hurricane. We booked (on board Mariner) a Papeete to Auckland cruise in Feb 2026, but canceled it once back home. 

I suspect the issue is that for many of the lines, these itineraries are effectively repositioning cruises which occur in March/April and then again in about October. We've done French Polynesia in October and the weather was good. From memory there are about three "local" options. PG which you've mentioned, Windstar and the Aranui (Half cargo, half passenger). We particularly want to go to the Marquesas Islands and none of those ships appeal. Ponant has just introduced itineraries on one of their sister class ships, I forget which one? Guessing that will be expensive too. Reasonable and French Polynesia are mutually exclusive items🤣I hope you get there, it's beautiful.

• Thanks 1

Nan, there are 2 definite seasons in the French Polynesia(FP), the wet season and the dry season. I would never choose the wet season. Regent doesn’t go to the FP in the dry season so as others have said your choices are basically 2, Windstar and Paul Gauguin(PG). I am booked on PG for June 2025. I don’t expect them to be as luxurious as Regent but I do expect a great cruise based on all the positive reviews I have read. I am going there for the outdoor activities and the beauty is supposedly second to none. I don’t think PG is more expensive than Regent. PG also engulfs you in the culture of the area because that region is all they do. PG is a small ship and it can get into shallow lagoons of which there are many. If it’s the ship you are more concerned about then yes, cabins are more luxurious on Regent and of course Regent has all the fancy art work and restaurant entry monuments but I don’t care, especially for the French Polynesia. If you go for the natural beauty and for water activities then I think PG is more than sufficient. The food is supposed to be great on PG. The key for me was the time of the year and Regent didn’t offer any options. The dry season also has a lot less humidity although it can rain at any moment but not like what the recent Regent cruisers experienced.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

Nan, there are 2 definite seasons in the French Polynesia(FP), the wet season and the dry season. I would never choose the wet season. Regent doesn’t go to the FP in the dry season so as others have said your choices are basically 2, Windstar and Paul Gauguin(PG). I am booked on PG for June 2025. I don’t expect them to be as luxurious as Regent but I do expect a great cruise based on all the positive reviews I have read. I am going there for the outdoor activities and the beauty is supposedly second to none. I don’t think PG is more expensive than Regent. PG also engulfs you in the culture of the area because that region is all they do. PG is a small ship and it can get into shallow lagoons of which there are many. If it’s the ship you are more concerned about then yes, cabins are more luxurious on Regent and of course Regent has all the fancy art work and restaurant entry monuments but I don’t care, especially for the French Polynesia. If you go for the natural beauty and for water activities then I think PG is more than sufficient. The food is supposed to be great on PG. The key for me was the time of the year and Regent didn’t offer any options. The dry season also has a lot less humidity although it can rain at any moment but not like what the recent Regent cruisers experienced.

Thank you for sharing your perspective. I think our decision will boil down to PG, also. We don't cruise often so the luxurious Regent experience is part of the enjoyment for us. But as expensive as French Polynesia vacations are, the whole experience has to be considered, and like you said, for FP, the beauty trumps the luxury accommodations. 

TS:

Echo Marylebone37's above comments, and experience as we were also on this San Francisco-Hawaii-Papette segment of Mariner's current World Cruise. 

Rough waters off Hawaii's Big Island prior to the long transit to Nuku Hiva precluded another planned stop.  Abrupt "wake-up" bump at the breakwater about 0615H.  Soos, another sea day while enroute to Hiva.  

Service, as always, was top shelf. 

Having been to French Polynesia on three prior cruises--during the "dry" season, having several stops/excursions canceled due to cyclones was not that big a deal to us.  Mariner became our desired destination.  Given the circumstances, that was the only Port during many stormy days at sea. 

We booked this segment about a year ago knowing full-well risks as to weather.  You pays your money; you takes your chances.  Priorities at this point in 25+years of cruising are long crossings and sea days.  We certainly received both. And, would do it again, as long as we would be on a relatively larger ship.

----------

pappy1022: Two of those earlier cruises were in the late 90's were aboard Seabourne's "Legend"--one of that Line's "triplets".  All since sold to, I believe, Paul Gauguin.  Perfect smaller ship well-suited for French Polynesia.  Languid days either at anchor in lagoons; and/or able to dock and partake in shore excursions.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

And another note. The Seaborne Legend, Pride, and Breeze were sold to Windstar, and one of them (think it is the Breeze) is now sailing year round in FP. Its smallest suites have 277 sq ft, interior space but real balconies are few. The Silver Whisper that makes its home in FP in 2026 has its smallest suites at 285 sq ft interior and have a balcony in addition.The Paul Gauguin (PG) has its smallest suites at 200 sq ft interior, some with balconies, The smallest suites on he RSSC Mariner are 250. sq ft interior plus balcony. The PG and Star Breeze carry about 312 guests, the Silver whisper carries about 390 guests.the Mariner carries about 750 guests. We must draw our own conclusions I lean toward the Silver Breeze. We had several great cruise on the PG be four the pandemic. But when Covid cancellations hit, PGs parent (Ponant) refused to give cancelled cruisers cash refunds, that soured me on the PG.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

We had several great cruise on the PG be four the pandemic. But when Covid cancellations hit, PGs parent (Ponant) refused to give cancelled cruisers cash refunds, that soured me on the PG.

We had 5 previous great voyages on the PG, including the Cook Islands and the Marquesas, and then Ponant refused us a refund for a cruise they canceled because of the pandemic in March 2020. A credit card chargeback got us every penny back and we'll never step foot on the PG again. Or any Ponant ship.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, poolechick said:

We had 5 previous great voyages on the PG, including the Cook Islands and the Marquesas, and then Ponant refused us a refund for a cruise they canceled because of the pandemic in March 2020. A credit card chargeback got us every penny back and we'll never step foot on the PG again. Or any Ponant ship.

Wow! How could they not refund. That tells me no way I’m going back to PG. 

When the PG was owned by Regent/Radisson, and after that when it was owned by a Tahitian resort owner, all was great. But after Ponant acquired it, it reportedly was downhill — leading to the refund fiasco. We can only hope the PG will have a new owner soon.

• Like 3

On 2/21/2024 at 6:44 PM, pappy1022 said:

Nan, there are 2 definite seasons in the French Polynesia(FP), the wet season and the dry season. I would never choose the wet season.

Wow thankx.  I was just about to pull the trigger on a Regent FP cruise for Feb 2026 until I saw this.  I then looked up the weather info.  There went that cruise!  Two of our Three Regent cruises to Eastern Canada and Alaska were rain nearly daily.  Did not make my spousal unit happy. Ergo, note to self...avoid rainy seasons.  That's one grief factor I can avoid. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Wow thankx.  I was just about to pull the trigger on a Regent FP cruise for Feb 2026 until I saw this.  I then looked up the weather info.  There went that cruise!  Two of our Three Regent cruises to Eastern Canada and Alaska were rain nearly daily.  Did not make my spousal unit happy. Ergo, note to self...avoid rainy seasons.  That's one grief factor I can avoid. 😁

Yes, I am furiously exploring other cruise lines now! From my research, FP choices comparable to Regent in the dry(drier) season are Paul Gauguin, Silversea and Windstar. I'm leaning to Paul Gauguin but I think it will be even more expensive in total than Regent - gasp. I haven't asked the travel agent to price it out but she said generally PG is more expensive once you add it all up. This is a dream cruise for us so we will probably just have to suck it up and pay more.

• Like 1

I didn’t find PG to be more expensive than Regent. I looked at a similar 10 day  Regent cruise for February and it started at $18K/person all inclusive or $8K/person for all inclusive on ship (no air, no transport). My booking on PG for the 10 day cruise was a total of $11K for 2 of us. So apples to apples PG is less expensive and I get to go when the weather is nicer. After all, this is an outdoor experience for the most part. I will admit that Regent’s cabins are much larger and nicer but for this cruise in particular, I am fine with what PG has to offer. Airfare to Tahiti is very expensive and that is reflected in Regent’s all inclusive price. Air is not included on PG. I intend to use air miles to “pay” for the airfare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have just sailed TAHITI on Navigator, departed Papeete on 7 February. Yes there was a storm occur which delayed us and we missed Mo’orea. But after the storm the weather cleared up and I must say it was the most stunning waters one could experience in the world. Calm seas and blue skies enhanced the excursions, which were brilliant, especially the water based ones.

(We rebooked this after cancelling same cruise March 2020)

when storms arise in Tahiti the government are pedantic about stopping marine traffic, ferries, excursions etc, all due to safety.. Mariner was in Tahiti at the same time. Oceania & Azamara, next Princess and RCL were following. November to March in the pacific the weather can be unpredictable unfortunately .

I must say, it was the ultimate cruise we have experienced. Regent excelled themselves in every way possible. All the crew were the best we’ve had., thank you Regent.

We are on navigator now, embarked on 17 February for a 16 night cruise.  The weather has been amazing, sun and blue skies all the way, no rain at all apart from a very very brief shower early this morning in American Samoa. I realise that we have been very very lucky as the weather can be unpredictable at this time of year. French Polynesia is absolutely gorgeous, esp Bora Bora. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jessandarnie said:

We have just sailed TAHITI on Navigator, departed Papeete on 7 February. Yes there was a storm occur which delayed us and we missed Mo’orea. But after the storm the weather cleared up and I must say it was the most stunning waters one could experience in the world. Calm seas and blue skies enhanced the excursions, which were brilliant, especially the water based ones.

(We rebooked this after cancelling same cruise March 2020)

when storms arise in Tahiti the government are pedantic about stopping marine traffic, ferries, excursions etc, all due to safety.. Mariner was in Tahiti at the same time. Oceania & Azamara, next Princess and RCL were following. November to March in the pacific the weather can be unpredictable unfortunately .

I must say, it was the ultimate cruise we have experienced. Regent excelled themselves in every way possible. All the crew were the best we’ve had., thank you Regent.

So happy you enjoyed your cruise! Disappointing to miss Mo’orea but it seems Regent and the other ports made it a wonderful trip nonetheless. Thanks for sharing your experience!

44 minutes ago, Dirtygerty said:

We are on navigator now, embarked on 17 February for a 16 night cruise.  The weather has been amazing, sun and blue skies all the way, no rain at all apart from a very very brief shower early this morning in American Samoa. I realise that we have been very very lucky as the weather can be unpredictable at this time of year. French Polynesia is absolutely gorgeous, esp Bora Bora. 

Wow, how fortunate! Thanks for posting - enjoy your cruise!

Not sure if this was the same cruise but here is someone’s report from the February cruise in the French Polynesia: “We had a rough ride getting to Bora Bora, a tender port.  Captain came on at 0730 to say it would be impossible to tender. It is raining buckets and high swells.  So we are sailing to Pago Pago. This is our 5th missed port.”

24 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

Not sure if this was the same cruise but here is someone’s report from the February cruise in the French Polynesia: “We had a rough ride getting to Bora Bora, a tender port.  Captain came on at 0730 to say it would be impossible to tender. It is raining buckets and high swells.  So we are sailing to Pago Pago. This is our 5th missed port.”

Yikes! How disappointing.....

37 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

That was on Mariner on the world cruise. 

Thank you for the clarification. I just know it was in the French Polynesia in the middle of 2 cyclones. I would never sail to that region during the months when Regent passes through there. Now if Regent sailed there between May & August, count me in.