Princess FCD Question

cusematt4

Hi All,

I am going to be taking a Princess cruise soon.  I am also looking to book an 18-21 night Princess cruise 1-2 years from now.

I have never done the onboard FCD before for current cruise OBC.

If I am debating between a suite on 2 different 18-21 night cruises, can I book a refundable rate for both of them?  If I'm willing to outlay the money for two refundable deposits, would I be eligible to receive the $150 current sailing OBC x 2, making it $300pp?

A few other questions

-Do I need to specify a refundable deposit fare/rate?  Do all sailings have refundable deposit rates?

-Are there any catches to being able to cancel?  If I make a decision a few weeks later, can I request a full deposit credit card refund from Princess (not future cruise credit) and have the deposit money fully refunded to my credit card used to pay for the deposit onboard?

Thank you very much.

Are you cruising solo or as a couple? If you are cruising as a couple, you will each need to purchase a FCD in order to get the maximum OBC.

In order to reserve two cruises, you would need to purchase two FCDs - or two each if you are a couple. They can be used for any cruise booked by the deadline a year after puchase, but the cruise itself can be a year or two later than that as long as it is booked before the deadline.

Most - but not necessarily all - Princess cruises have options to book with refundable deposits. If you are booking online, it clearly states either refundable or nonrefundable deposit - but you do need to look. If you are booking with a travel agent, make sure that the agent knows you are interested only in refundable deposits.

If you book a refundable deposit cruise with a FCD and then cancel the cruise before the penalty period, the FCD is returned to your Captain's Circle account if it has not yet expired. If it has expired, then it is refunded. I believe you can call Princess and request an earlier refund before the FCD expiration date, but I have no experience doing so. Someone else should be able to confirm if they have done this. 

Your profile doesn't say where you live. My comments above are relevant to the United States and Canada. Refundable deposits are not as available in many other countries.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cusematt4 said:

If I'm willing to outlay the money for two refundable deposits, would I be eligible to receive the $150 current sailing OBC x 2, making it $300pp?

Only 1 FCD can be applied per person on a booking, you can't stack up on them.  Otherwise, people would be purchasing FCDs like crazy to cover the cost of their cruise and get the associated OBC with a multiplier.

Do I need to specify a refundable deposit fare/rate?  Do all sailings have refundable deposit rates?

You state that you want a refundable deposit.  If you don't, the making the booking might just give you the lowest rate with a non-refundable deposit.  You can verify by checking the penalty schedule on the Booking Confirmation sent to you.  For refundable deposits, the penalties should start the day after final payment.

If I make a decision a few weeks later, can I request a full deposit credit card refund from Princess (not future cruise credit) and have the deposit money fully refunded to my credit card used to pay for the deposit onboard?

Once applied to a booking, the FCD is treated like cash and will be refunded back to your credit card.  You forfeit the FCD and it cannot be applied to other bookings.

It's a good idea to have purchase extra FCD and have them banked in your Captain's Circle Account.  If, for example, the price drops on a cruise but the rate requires applies only to new bookings, you can cancel the existing booking and make a new booking with the FCD that is banked.

If I am debating between a suite on 2 different 18-21 night cruises, can I book a refundable rate for both of them?

Princess is very generous with their refundable deposit policy as compared to other cruise lines.  Please don't abuse it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

Only 1 FCD can be applied per person on a booking, you can't stack up on them.  Otherwise, people would be purchasing FCDs like crazy to cover the cost of their cruise and get the associated OBC with a multiplier.

You can apply more than one FCD to a booking. However, you only receive the OBC for one FCD per passenger. The additional FCDs are applied to the cost of the booking, but no additional OBC.

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:
1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

Once applied to a booking, the FCD is treated like cash and will be refunded back to your credit card.  You forfeit the FCD and it cannot be applied to other bookings.

If you cancel a cruise with a FCD applied to a refundable deposit before the expiration date of the FCD, the FCD is not refunded back to your credit card. It is redeposited in your Captain's Circle FCD bank for use on another cruise. It can then be applied to other bookings. It is refunded upon cancellation only if it is past its expiration date. Note that many FCDs currently applied to cruises are past their expiration dates, since the expiration date for a FCD is "Book by" date - not a "Sail by" date. I have cancelled a cruise with a Princess telephone agent and immediately applied the FCD to another cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @cusematt4, you are a little confused, with Princess FCD’s you receive the OBC on the cruise you actually book using your FCD. You do NOT receive OBC on your CURRENT sailing when you purchase FCD’s. The value of the OBC you will receive when you book your next cruise with the FCD, depends on the cabin category you book and the length of the sailing.

You may be confusing Princess with NCL, as NCL advertises getting OBC on your Current cruise if you purchase Cruise Next deposits, but in reality you get the Cruise next deposits at a reduced cost. On NCL if you buy two $250 Cruise Next deposits, you will only be charged a total of $250, so each of your $250 deposits actually only cost you $125 each, you do not get $125 OBC to use on the current cruise.

• Like 2

OBC From FCD

3 - 6 Days $15 Inside, $15 Outside, $25 Balcony, $25 Suite

7 - 10 Days $25 Inside, $25 Outside, $50 Balcony, $50 Suite

11 - 16 Days $75 Inside, $75 Outside, $100 Balcony, $100 Suite

17 + Days $125 Inside, $125 Outside, $150 Balcony, $150 Suite

• Like 1

Unless things have changed recently cruises booked on board receive the same $100 deposit* and OBC as if they were  booked later off ship with a purchased FCD. I don't believe there is any requirement to purchase an actual FCD when booking on board. FCDs when purchase are valid for cruises booked within one year of purchase.

Most deposits are refundable according to the schedule in the passenger contract. Some promotions have non refundable deposits. You really have to read the fine print carefully. If purchasing on board you should actually read the fine print and not just take the seller's word for it. If you normally use a T.A. you can assign the onboard booking to that T.A.

My personal preference is to purchase as many FCDs as required on board and then take my time researching and booking once home.

*World cruise deposits are a percentage of the fare.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

OBC From FCD

3 - 6 Days $15 Inside, $15 Outside, $25 Balcony, $25 Suite

7 - 10 Days $25 Inside, $25 Outside, $50 Balcony, $50 Suite

11 - 16 Days $75 Inside, $75 Outside, $100 Balcony, $100 Suite

17 + Days $125 Inside, $125 Outside, $150 Balcony, $150 Suite

Thanks for all the info.  If each of us were to book two separate 17 day cruises while onboard at a refundable rate in balcony cabins, would we each get two $150 onboard credits to be able to use on our current sailing?

Is the only requirement for the above to put down $100 deposit per person towards the 17 night sailing we want to book?

Thank you.

14 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Thanks for all the info.  If each of us were to book two separate 17 day cruises while onboard at a refundable rate in balcony cabins, would we each get two $150 onboard credits to be able to use on our current sailing?

Is the only requirement for the above to put down $100 deposit per person towards the 17 night sailing we want to book?

Thank you.

If you read the information provided by @NavyVeteran and @wallyj, you will see that you earn the OBC on the future voyage that you book using the FCD as the deposit.  Each of you (assuming a couple) needs to have a FCD.  

What you are trying to do would be totally abused if Princess allowed it.  One could book 10 cruises on board and pile up OBC and then how does Princess recover from you when you cancel them all after the cruise?  Nope - you get the OBC on the future cruise. 

PS - You can each "buy" two FCDs and book those cruises on board - or wait until you are home.  If you are booking on board, I think it is like buying a virtual FCD and doesn't get you anything extra than waiting.  You can book two voyages for two different dates and later cancel one if not going on both, but there is no need to actually book them on board.  You can buy FCDs and decide later which to book.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2024 at 7:37 PM, NavyVeteran said:

You can apply more than one FCD to a booking. However, you only receive the OBC for one FCD per passenger. The additional FCDs are applied to the cost of the booking, but no additional OBC.

If you cancel a cruise with a FCD applied to a refundable deposit before the expiration date of the FCD, the FCD is not refunded back to your credit card. It is redeposited in your Captain's Circle FCD bank for use on another cruise. It can then be applied to other bookings. It is refunded upon cancellation only if it is past its expiration date. Note that many FCDs currently applied to cruises are past their expiration dates, since the expiration date for a FCD is "Book by" date - not a "Sail by" date. I have cancelled a cruise with a Princess telephone agent and immediately applied the FCD to another cruise.

Thank you for correcting inaccurate information that is presented as fact. 

• Like 1