Worth bidding $600 for balcony on Viva?

ed111

I have an interior stateroom on a 10 night mediterranean Viva cruise, no sea days. Minimum bid to upgrade to a balcony is $600 total. Think it's worth it?

Forgetting about the actual utility of the balcony- which is probably debatable on an all-port day cruise, the actual room does look really nice in pictures, and bigger/more elaborate than the interior.  We've had a cruise balcony before and didn't use it too much but did like the ambiance it provided. 

Thoughts on if it's worth the bid for $60 per a night?

3 hours ago, ed111 said:

I have an interior stateroom on a 10 night mediterranean Viva cruise, no sea days. Minimum bid to upgrade to a balcony is $600 total. Think it's worth it?

Forgetting about the actual utility of the balcony- which is probably debatable on an all-port day cruise, the actual room does look really nice in pictures, and bigger/more elaborate than the interior.  We've had a cruise balcony before and didn't use it too much but did like the ambiance it provided. 

Thoughts on if it's worth the bid for $60 per a night?

I think it's definitely worth it! 

$300pp x2 for 10 days is pretty inexpensive. 

The issue is, as a minimum bid, it might not win. 

If you were happy with your choice of an inside cabin, make the bid and see what happens. 

We just had a thread here not too long ago by a person who was mad because they didn't get an upgrade after bidding the minimum.

If you think the minimum bid is not worth the upgrade, then you really won't like the price that would secure an upgrade.

Fact is, I doubt very seriously the minimum bid will get you and upgrade....on a new ship.....on a Med cruise.

Is it worth it?  We can't answer that.  Only you can.

Edited by graphicguy

600 per person or total?

We were inside on the Viva which was the nicest interior we have been in.  The nice thing about the Viva is there is so much great outdoor space on deck 8 which is where we spend most of on-board time. We really didn't feel like we missed anything not having a balcony on that ship.

That being said, if you are saying $600 total for 10 day med cruise, I would take it to maximize the sail in and sail aways.

If it is $1200 total I would pass and spend the money elsewhere.

Yeah $600 total. The bid is technically "300" but it's per person. 

I'm completely cool with the bid not winning the upgrade, I obviously booked the inside to begin with 🙂

Edited by ed111

5 minutes ago, CptJLMcCrea said:

Of course it is!  Oh wait, do you think you're actually going to get it at minimum bid? 

I don't know, do you have statistics on the data?

Viva has ~400 inside cabins and ~1k balconies. If the probability is 1% and it's actually worth the money why not have some fun a throw in a bid. 

6 minutes ago, ed111 said:

I don't know, do you have statistics on the data?

Viva has ~400 inside cabins and ~1k balconies. If the probability is 1% and it's actually worth the money why not have some fun a throw in a bid. 

I have no statistics, only experience. Of course, you "throw in a bid", as long it's just fun, and not an expectation.

2 minutes ago, CptJLMcCrea said:

I have no statistics, only experience. Of course, you "throw in a bid", as long it's just fun, and not an expectation.

No worries, going by the responses it seems ya'll run into people who are not happy when they don't win bids. Which to me is silly, if you want an actual room just book it.  Especially since these minimum bids aren't even that much different than the actual difference in rack rate of the cabins (though this seems to vary based on the sailing).