Queen Anne to Iceland July 14th

Shingles Mark

Good afternoon everyone.

I’ve just booked this cruise, travelling solo as my lovely wife passed away last year. 
What is Cunard like for solo passengers? I did do the fjords last year on Iona solo and met some lovely people at dinner time sharing a table for 8.

Are there likely to be many Americans or other nationalities as it originates from Germany but I board in Southampton. Will be nice to meet other people from worldwide.

Thank you 

Mark

Cunard is wonderful for solos. Definitely ask for a large table at dinner.

Last year on QV (to Norway), I was at a table for 10. All solos except for one couple, ages ranging from mid-40s to 80, five different countries. I don't know how Cunard puts people together, but this disparate group had a fabulous time. We were way at the back, and a good thing, too because we were the rowdy table, always laughing. I think the key is that solos who ask for a large table are open to meeting new people, especially on Cunard. 

Cunard usually has solo get-togethers, another way to meet people. 

Enjoy Iceland, it's stunningly beautiful!

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I did my first Cunard cruise (a TA on QM2) last December. Also solo, also widower. I found it to be an idea trip, and there were plenty of opportunities to engage with other solo travelers. I'll echo what 3rdGen Cunarder said about getting seated at a large table...that was one of the best decisions I made.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m still wondering that while Cunard has a welcoming atmosphere for solo travelers (and all pax too) and offers nice solo cabins on the three other Queens, they then decide to offer zero solo cabins on the new QA? That move seems counter to the trend of more solo traveling. Odd…

5 minutes ago, NE John said:

I’m still wondering that while Cunard has a welcoming atmosphere for solo travelers (and all pax too) and offers nice solo cabins on the three other Queens, they then decide to offer zero solo cabins on the new QA? That move seems counter to the trend of more solo traveling. Odd…

Foolish even. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NE John said:

Yes as a solo myself I was some what disappointed given unless you book the solo cabins on release for popular sailings they sell out very quickly. If it’s a cruise where I don’t really need a balcony I always go for one if still available. However not overly surprised because Carnival did the same with Iona and Arvia. Iona even has single balcony cabins but Arvia which is supposed to be the same has none. Given the solo cabins on Iona are equally hard to book it is annoying. 

I’ve booked an inside cabin for this cruise, a balcony is another 2K which seems crazy , that amount will pay for a tidy cruise on Iona, which I went on last year to the fjords and enjoyed. I am unlikely to ever go to Iceland on another sort of holiday so this seemed the best option. I also like the idea of the stops in Scotland.