policy on tipping

cary1306

If any guests decision to tip or not tip impacts the workers, that's on the cruise line for not paying them properly. The fact they can get people all worked up over it is why they can add more to the business profits instead of doing the right thing.

It used to be that if you get great service, you give great tips

The business laughs as they rake in hundreds of millions in savings and watch as the customers yell at each other over it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

That is very kind of you and deserves a thumbs up instead of pummel.

But what are you talking? Do you have any idea what a worker a McD, PizzaHut, Dominos, ..., makes a month in Jakarta or Manila? It is not $900, but $200 and no free pizzas or accommodation. And zero tips. 900 a month from which you easily can save 800 is a dream salary which is why so many Indos and Pinoys dream about a job at a (western) cruise line. But no Malaysians, almost no Thais. 

But with a monthly salary of $900 you are also extremely attractive on the marriage market in Indonesia and Philippines, that is why even these young folks are usually already married and have kids. That is the really brutal thing, not being able to see your wife and kids for many months, not what you consider a tiny salary. 

Well said. And from a regional perspective. Something most of do not have. 

• Like 1

I do not give any consideration to the individuals home country.  I always pay the required gratuities, and almost always ahead of time.  I tip additional to individuals who I believe gave us above and beyond service.  

On Divina I spoke with the Le Muse maitre'd as I wanted to know if individuals kept any tips or if they were pooled like some other cruise lines.  I was told that if I felt someone warranted an additional gratuity that I could give it directly to that individual and it would be theirs. 

For what it's worth, we tipped the wait staff in the Top Sail Lounge nightly instead of at the end of the cruise. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 1:12 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

On how many different boards are you going to lay this trap?

I am really starting to wonder if cruiseline personnel post on cruise critic and other social media.  This question is asked almost everywhere, everyday.  Or is it TAs doing this to get a bigger cut?  Do these posters not do searches?  Once in a while, yes.  Almost every day?

On 2/28/2024 at 6:29 AM, jean87510 said:

Do these posters not do searches?  

LOL, searches not here and not on other social media sites that face a book. Same questions over and over. Even simple ones like parking at ports that have their own websites you can get the actual answer.  Amazing how people belive social media sites and wiki sites. 

I always look at the suggested gratuities as part of the cruise fare.  We also tip extra at the end of the cruise for excellent service.  It’s much different now than in the old days of passing out envelopes on the last night.  I kind of prefer this way; less pressure all the way around.  We still find the service to be great.

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2024 at 1:56 PM, marktwothousand said:

Has anyone recently removed the daily charge on MSC from the US Without a hassle? The official line from MSC doesn’t say you CAN’T remove them, and suggests you have to have a reason for poor service to do so.

I don't think anyone on cruise critic will admit to doing this.