Getting the check in restaurants

Is it customary in Australia (and maybe New Zealand also) for a server in a restaurant to wait for you to request the check and not initiate that in any way?  Based on our somewhat limited experience this was our impression.  Coming from the US where you almost always get asked or simply brought the check this surprised us a bit.

Usually you will ask for the bill, as the wait staff don't want to push you out the door. If you are looking as if you are finished by perhaps starting to put coats on or similar, the wait staff will often ask if you would like your bill. 

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Usually you will ask for the bill, as the wait staff don't want to push you out the door. If you are looking as if you are finished by perhaps starting to put coats on or similar, the wait staff will often ask if you would like your bill. 

Good to know.  Figured it was not inattentiveness.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, Karaboudjan said:

Is it customary in Australia (and maybe New Zealand also) for a server in a restaurant to wait for you to request the check and not initiate that in any way?  Based on our somewhat limited experience this was our impression.  Coming from the US where you almost always get asked or simply brought the check this surprised us a bit.

Yep. When you're done.. you just go up to the counter and pay on your way out. 🙂 

As mentioned above, there are 2 methods of paying your bill according to restaurant, actually 3.

1. The server will bring you the bill, when requested, and also give you the opportunity to pay by card or cash, then bring back the receipt.

2. Bring you the bill, then direct you to the pay station.

3. You get up when ready to leave, pay at the pay station and go.

Wait staff do not automatically bring a bill, they will come up and ask if there is anything else they can get for you. You either ask to pay then or ask for something else

On 2/28/2024 at 10:07 AM, Karaboudjan said:

Good to know.  Figured it was not inattentiveness.  Thanks.

Down here it's called not being constantly annoyed by waiters angling for tips - rather than inattentiveness. And we prefer it that way. They leave us in peace while we dine and when we are done we either signal that we are ready to be brought the bill, or we go up to the counter. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

We also noticed that many casual restaurants in New Zealand and Australia have menu available via a QR code displayed at the table. Order and pay on your phone and your meal will be delivered to you. And in one place, our meal was delivered by robot as well. Very impersonal and difficult to get any advice or make any changes or requests.

1 hour ago, afto said:

We also noticed that many casual restaurants in New Zealand and Australia have menu available via a QR code displayed at the table. Order and pay on your phone and your meal will be delivered to you. And in one place, our meal was delivered by robot as well. Very impersonal and difficult to get any advice or make any changes or requests.

Okay, I find that different to my experience and I was in New Zealand and Sydney last month and I live in Perth, WA.

Yes there are places with the QR code for the menu but the order is always taken by a person so no problem asking for help if you don't recognise an ingredient. I have never been served by a robot.

2 hours ago, afto said:

36 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Okay, I find that different to my experience and I was in New Zealand and Sydney last month and I live in Perth, WA.

Yes there are places with the QR code for the menu but the order is always taken by a person so no problem asking for help if you don't recognise an ingredient. I have never been served by a robot.

No, that is not the case. They use QR codes to make it simpler for those who want to eat quickly and don't want changes to their dishes. When eating out with my family, we have used the QR code to order our meal. It is a computer based system so when you click on the QR code, it takes you to the restaurant/venue's ordering page. You click on what you want and pay. Super easy if you don't want changes to your order. But, on the other hand, if you have queries or want changes to the dish you are ordering, order at the counter or through the wait staff. 

I have never found a place that has a QR code for ordering where you can't order in the normal manner. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

No, that is not the case. They use QR codes to make it simpler for those who want to eat quickly and don't want changes to their dishes. When eating out with my family, we have used the QR code to order our meal. It is a computer based system so when you click on the QR code, it takes you to the restaurant/venue's ordering page. You click on what you want and pay. Super easy if you don't want changes to your order. But, on the other hand, if you have queries or want changes to the dish you are ordering, order at the counter or through the wait staff. 

I have never found a place that has a QR code for ordering where you can't order in the normal manner. 

Okay. I must have totally missed the ordering part when I have been in a restaurant using a QR code. I always though it was simply to a) not waste paper and b) a hygiene holdover from Covid. As you say I have never been in a place that had a QR code where I couldn't order in the normal manner. I'll still use it my way.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Okay. I must have totally missed the ordering part when I have been in a restaurant using a QR code. I always though it was simply to a) not waste paper and b) a hygiene holdover from Covid. As you say I have never been in a place that had a QR code where I couldn't order in the normal manner. I'll still use it my way.

It did take off in use during Covid, as it was less contact for staff and they also didn't have to produce as many menus, so more hygienic as far as handling them. I have only ever seen QR codes in cafes and pubs, not in less casual restaurants. As I said, we use both ways. One advantage is that you pay for your own meal/s and don't have to worry about splitting the bill.

Many venues use tablets/iPads to take orders too.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, afto said:

Nonsense. You can simply raise your hand and wave at the hospitality staff and they will come over or pop up to the counter and ask for help. 

4 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

Nonsense. You can simply raise your hand and wave at the hospitality staff and they will come over or pop up to the counter and ask for help. 

Wow. I can't imagine any circumstances where I would reply with "nonsense" to a post made by someone just trying to be helpful by relating their own experience. Yes, you can wave your hand and get help, you are correct. But that doesn't mean that anything in my post was incorrect or nonsense. QR codes exist, robots exist -- not everywhere, of course, but I did not say that this was a universal experience.

12 hours ago, afto said:

Wow. I can't imagine any circumstances where I would reply with "nonsense" to a post made by someone just trying to be helpful by relating their own experience. Yes, you can wave your hand and get help, you are correct. But that doesn't mean that anything in my post was incorrect or nonsense. QR codes exist, robots exist -- not everywhere, of course, but I did not say that this was a universal experience.

Yes they do indeed all exist. But they have not yet replaced humans entirely. All eating establishments still have managers, wait staff, chefs, cleaners etc. Ample people to get the attention of if you haven't been able to use the QR code ordering system or you want to add/change part of the order. 

I was saying "nonsense" to this specific statement "" difficult to get any advice or make any changes or requests.""

Because my opinion (which I am entitled to) is that you were exaggerating re the difficulty of getting assistance. 

• 3 weeks later...

As an American, we found ordering and getting the check strange.  Most restaurants we went to used the QR code method.  Since DH has a food allergy he usually went up to the bar or wait stand to order, paid there.  It was weird for us to then just walk away when we were done. We also more then once had to go get our own water, condiments, silverware etc from a table set up in the restaurant. It’s not wrong if it’s customary in a country, we just didn’t know what to do, hadn’t read about this prior to our trip. We adjusted but it seemed to us that servers were there just to set your food down in front of you and that was it. They did not come back to see if you were happy or needed anything else. It’s not wrong, just different. 

3 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

As an American, we found ordering and getting the check strange.  Most restaurants we went to used the QR code method.  Since DH has a food allergy he usually went up to the bar or wait stand to order, paid there.  It was weird for us to then just walk away when we were done. We also more then once had to go get our own water, condiments, silverware etc from a table set up in the restaurant. It’s not wrong if it’s customary in a country, we just didn’t know what to do, hadn’t read about this prior to our trip. We adjusted but it seemed to us that servers were there just to set your food down in front of you and that was it. They did not come back to see if you were happy or needed anything else. It’s not wrong, just different. 

What you have described seems to be what you would find in a hotel or licenced club dining room. Regular restaurants in Australia are fairly similar to regular restaurants in the States apart from the servers here are not usually in your face touting for tips. 

Our wait staff in a restaurant WILL occasionally ask if everything is all right or if you need anything but they do this as part of their job and don't expect a tip although are grateful if one is offered. 

• Like 1

People must dine in different places to me - I have rarely seen the QR method in Australia - or maybe it is there and I havent paid attention to it and have just ordered in person as usual (usual for me)

Pretty sure it hasn't hit rural Australia yet

Is not unusual when getting counter meals  ( ie in pubs, sports clubs,cafes  or similar where you go up to the counter to order) to then be directed to take your cutlery back to the table.

I guess this saves on setting up cutlery at tables and then having to pack it away afterwards - or sometimes not all tables will have people eating - in a pub some are just having drinks or just having coffee in a cafe.

Yes sometimes in such places staff will just set your food down and that's it, sometimes they pop back to check everything is ok - some places not even that, your number is called and you go to the counter to collect your meal

Actual restaurants are different and will have full table service - ie you order and recieve your meal and drinks without leaving your table. In those places cutlery and often glasses and table water,  is set out on the tables already and staff will periodically check if you need anything else, are you ready to order now,is everyone alright for drinks, would you like dessert etc

But not constantly hovering in your face about it.

• Like 2