New Oosterdam cruiser - a few questions.

K8T

We’ve had our RCCL cruise cancelled and about to press the button on a HAL Greek Islands cruise.  Experienced cruiser but never HAL usually DCL or RCCL.  I’ve done searches but they’ve not yielded much! 

Do you know if there is a good selection for gluten free on board?  Things like pancskes and pizza outside of MDR  - daughter is Coeliac.  

Is there a privacy curtain in the cabin between the master bed and the third person bed - is this a bunk/murphy or fold out sofa? Or how can I find out as GTY! 

Are there ‘shows’ in the theatre, or is it just ‘acts’ and singers? 

Do they have quizzes or trivia on sea days?

Many thanks, I’m sure there’ll be more! 

Posted (edited)

Gluten free on board?  These threads should help:

Partial privacy curtain in the cabin between the main bed and fold out couch in a verandah cabin

No ‘shows’ in the theatre, just dance ‘acts’, comedians and singers? 

Always have trivia

Edited by 0106
  • Like 2

HAL has singers, instrumentalists,  comedians, dance ensembles, magicians, and a few other miscellaneous type entertainment,  not big production shows. However, HAL does emphasize the great  itineraries much more than other cruise lines. Ask yourself if the entertainment is your goal or seeing ports and scenery. 

I think they have trivia every day ... and often more than once a day. We don't attend, but it seems to be listed constantly on the daily program. 

Can't answer the other 2 questions at all.

We were on the Oosterdam last fall for 4 weeks. Had a great time. Enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, K8T said:

Is there a privacy curtain in the cabin between the master bed and the third person bed - is this a bunk/murphy or fold out sofa? Or how can I find out as GTY! 

Here is the place for photos contributed by fellow cruisers. With a deckplan open, you can find cabins equivalent to yours on Oosterdam (rhymes with TOASTerdam) or her sisters in the same class:

Vista Class | HAL Cruiser Information (halfacts.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, singleflyer said:

Can anyone share how Club Orange in the Main Dining Room works?  Is there a separate area?

there is a priority line for CO if you have open/anytime dining (not fixed).  I didn’t see a special area.  I had CO by nature of a Neptune Suite on my last O cruise, had fixed and sat at the table I expected.  It was fine with me.  On a ship like the O, all that counts is the chance of an upgrade at no cost, the special line up at guest services, the special line up at at the MDR for open dining and if you are not 4/5*, the priority embarkation, tender, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kazu said:

there is a priority line for CO if you have open/anytime dining (not fixed).  I didn’t see a special area.  I had CO by nature of a Neptune Suite on my last O cruise, had fixed and sat at the table I expected.  It was fine with me.  On a ship like the O, all that counts is the chance of an upgrade at no cost, the special line up at guest services, the special line up at at the MDR for open dining and if you are not 4/5*, the priority embarkation, tender, etc.

Thanks.  Yeah, it was worth it for me to get a better room (not under Lido and with a larger balcony).  Figure anything else is icing on the cake.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the responses.  We’ve gone ahead and booked for June with the HIA package.  We’ve been allocated a room (outside) on Deck 1 hoping it’s a good spot as absolutely no idea!   Looks like it’s under the ladies toilets Deck 2!  

Can anyone tell me if there is likely to be an offer to upgrade before sailing? I know this is based on how full the ship is, but does it ever happen? 

Thanks again 

@K8T welcome to HAL! If your booking is noted that you'd accept an upgrade, then you could be offered. If not, you can call and ask. Typically, Upgrade = free, Upsell = paid. You can ask about either/both.

• Thanks 1