Sailing out of NOLA 3/10...a little nervous about the check-in time

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  We're sailing on the Breakaway 3/10 out of NOLA, and I completely spaced and didn't do the online check-in until a week after it had opened.  As a result, the only check-in time was 2:30 p.m.  We usually check in around 10-11 for all other cruises.

I'm a little nervous about this because the departure time is 5pm and I thought we were supposed to all be on the ship two hours before departure.  I feel like it doesn't make sense that they would have a check-in time so late. 

Does anyone know if we can arrive a bit earlier, say around 1pm?  Norwegian said we can arrive at 1:30 pm but not any earlier.  For anyone who has sailed out of NOLA, is that enough time to get through security and board?  Thanks in advance!

24 minutes ago, adidreh1234 said:

I'm a little nervous about this because the departure time is 5pm and I thought we were supposed to all be on the ship two hours before departure.  I feel like it doesn't make sense that they would have a check-in time so late.

Checking in at 2:30 should be fine.  it's not like they make you sit in a 2 hour 'quarantine' before boarding, once you're checked in you should be able to go right up the gangway and still have 30+ minutes to spare before all-aboard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Checking in at 2:30 should be fine.  it's not like they make you sit in a 2 hour 'quarantine' before boarding, once you're checked in you should be able to go right up the gangway and still have 30+ minutes to spare before all-aboard.

Ok Thanks so much 🙂 

2 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

2:30 is two and half hours before 5?

Yes but you’re supposed to be on the ship two hours before departure so we would have to make it through everything and be on the ship by 3.  

Just now, adidreh1234 said:

Yes but you’re supposed to be on the ship two hours before departure so we would have to make it through everything and be on the ship by 3.  

Unless New Orleans is different than every other US port, they don’t pay any attention to check in times, just go when you want. 

Honestly, if it would make you feel better, just show up a little early. New Orleans Terminal is horrible. By about 1:30 the terminal should be much better then say 9:30am. New orleans is the worst cruise terminal in my opinion

We have sailed from NOLA 30 some odd times and never have I seen them check for scheduled arrival times.  But as others have said NO has a very crowded waiting area.  Bearding usually starts around 11:30 so I’d try for something after noon, by that time you should be able to walk right on.  Even if you checked in at 2:30, you would be fine. The 2 hour thing is their ideal, but they certainly let late arrivals on.  I’ve seen people run for the ship and have then pull the gangway in behind them.  You’ll be fine.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, adidreh1234 said:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  We're sailing on the Breakaway 3/10 out of NOLA, and I completely spaced and didn't do the online check-in until a week after it had opened.  As a result, the only check-in time was 2:30 p.m.  We usually check in around 10-11 for all other cruises.

Does anyone know if we can arrive a bit earlier, say around 1pm?  Norwegian said we can arrive at 1:30 pm but not any earlier.  For anyone who has sailed out of NOLA, is that enough time to get through security and board?  Thanks in advance!

At that time you'll walk right on.

We showed up in January at 11:30 and they had called boarding group 3 when we walked in. Security took 5 minutes, the priority check in took 5 minutes and we breezed right now. We had a 10:30 check in time, but nobody was checking.

If you ever read the fine print, you can check in as late as 1 hour before sailing if you e-checked in.

FWIW this was San Pedro but we used NCL transport from the airport. We flew in same day(I  would not do this but had no choice for this cruise}. Didn't have an option to fly in earlier the same day.   The NCL transport had to circle LAX twice which took 2 hours or so.  Didn't get to the ship until 4PM, ship sailed at 5PM.  Yes they say must be on ship 2 hours before but then there are exceptions.  However I would not count on it...   You'll be fine either way.  Big advantages of a later checkin: No line, you get right on the ship.   You can go directly to your room.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KSSS2013 said:

At that time you'll walk right on.

We showed up in January at 11:30 and they had called boarding group 3 when we walked in. Security took 5 minutes, the priority check in took 5 minutes and we breezed right now. We had a 10:30 check in time, but nobody was checking.

If you ever read the fine print, you can check in as late as 1 hour before sailing if you e-checked in.

great, thanks for the reassurance!

3 hours ago, davencl said:

FWIW this was San Pedro but we used NCL transport from the airport. We flew in same day(I  would not do this but had no choice for this cruise}. Didn't have an option to fly in earlier the same day.   The NCL transport had to circle LAX twice which took 2 hours or so.  Didn't get to the ship until 4PM, ship sailed at 5PM.  Yes they say must be on ship 2 hours before but then there are exceptions.  However I would not count on it...   You'll be fine either way.  Big advantages of a later checkin: No line, you get right on the ship.   You can go directly to your room.

thanks so much!

Almost every cruise I have every taken has some people getting on the ship 30-60 minutes before we leave. On two winter trips out of NYC we had a couple busloads of people who arrived at the pier at 3:30pm for a 4:00pm sailing.... they all made it on

• Like 1