AARP Gift card Usage

I went through the search page, and all I see is how to use gift cards towards purchasing a cruise with RC. My question is can they be used onboard as spending credits? Other cruise lines allow you to to guest services , present the cards and have it applied to my account. I just want to make sure RC allows the same.

Thanks

I've never used RCI gift cards are they are quite restrictive, but this is from the AARP web site, the RCI GC terms and conditions:

"Certificate may not be used to obtain onboard credit or to settle any shipboard charges."

Yes only for paying for the cruise.

I did it once about 5 years ago to pay for my first Grand Suite.  Saved about $600 dollars but with all the restrictions and not being refundable even if it's Royal that cancells the cruise.  Was not worth hassle and worry.  

Other cruise lines AARP cards are easier to use

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Covid canceled many Princess and Royal cruises for us. We didn’t lose any credit, but we are still cruising off the Princess credits.

Don’t think I’ll be doing that again… even with the large savings. 

6 hours ago, cruisegus said:

Yes only for paying for the cruise.

I did it once about 5 years ago to pay for my first Grand Suite.  Saved about $600 dollars but with all the restrictions and not being refundable even if it's Royal that cancells the cruise.  Was not worth hassle and worry.  

Other cruise lines AARP cards are easier to use

I have been thinking about using AARP gift cards but the line in their T&C about not being refundable if the cruise is cancelled even if it’s Royal who cancels has kept me from trying them. We have had two different cruises cancelled by Royal due to whole ship charters recently and to say I would be very unhappy about losing that money because I’d paid using AARP would be putting it mildly. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I use them and save 10% by doing so. It really isn't a hassle at all, in my opinion. I buy them through AARP, they are emailed to me, I download the certs, then email each to RCI at the email they provide along with my booking and cabin numbers. It takes about 10 working days for the credit to hit, so you cannot wait up until the final hour to go through the process. They are only good towards the price of the cruise and not OBC. If you reprice and then are owed money but paid primarily with the certificates, they will refund to the card you used to make the initial deposit. 

Edited by TravelinTess