Recommendations for "do-it yourself" excursions in Alaska?

caroleleblanc

Hi there. We are doing an Alaska cruise in September and stopping in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria. Has anyone booked excursions on their own that they would recommend? We like to bike and hike and we would also like to do a train ride, at least 1 way. We typically try to avoid the cruise line excursions because of the high cost and large number of people. TYIA.

First, you need to see what times you are in the ports.  Not all ships stay in the ports the same amount of time.  This will impact what you can do.  Since you are hitting Victoria, I assume you are doing a round trip from Seattle.  Definitely pay attention to the port times.

Juneau is a popular spot for Whale Watching.  Harv and Marv or Jayleen are often mentioned.  The boats are small so only a few people better than the larger boats with a lot of people.

Skagway has the Train.   You can book directly with the company.  But there are many options.  My wife and I are doing an 8 hour bus/train.  Taking a bus all the way into the Yukon to Emerald lake then back to a spot to get on the Train back to Skagway.  Chilkoot Charters.  They also have shorter options.  We are in port 14 hours so can do the 8 hour option.  

Ketchikan.   I am looking into the rainforest hike.   But last time we just walked around town.  Could be the best spot for biking.  But I do not know.

Victoria.  Check the time in the port.   It is required for the "1 foreign port" rule, and you might only have a few hours there.  Not sure if it is worth it. Also, many times it is in the evening.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2024 at 11:36 AM, caroleleblanc said:

Hi there. We are doing an Alaska cruise in September and stopping in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria. Has anyone booked excursions on their own that they would recommend? We like to bike and hike and we would also like to do a train ride, at least 1 way. We typically try to avoid the cruise line excursions because of the high cost and large number of people. TYIA.

Hi!  We are visiting all the same ports.  With the exception of Victoria we are hiking on our own (from the port) in all three remaining ports.  I’ve done this before in all three ports with no issues.  There are a ton of options — Google, all trails, you tube are good resources and you can find something that fits your style.  My feeling is I’m not paying for something I can plan on my own that gets me out exercising and exploring nature in Alaska.  I’m not a group tour or museum person but I appreciate that others are and that works for them.  Our stop in Victoria is short and at night so I think we will wander and check out some highlights from a distance.  Never been and just happy to check this one out briefly as it’ll be our last night onboard.

On 3/6/2024 at 4:36 PM, caroleleblanc said:

Has anyone booked excursions on their own that they would recommend? We like to bike and hike and we would also like to do a train ride, at least 1 way.

5 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

With the exception of Victoria we are hiking on our own (from the port) in all three remaining ports

If you are willing to pay for one  excursion, and you like trains, then Skagway would be the obvious choice for the White Pass |route. Not inexpensive but worth it.  There are various combos mixing train and bus, to choose from and some travel further than others so your length of time in port is important.

we did as mentioned in the previous post, travelling as far into the Yokon as Emerald Lake and can highly recommend that one.  Remember to take your passport with you.

For Ketchikan, lots of options, but you might want to consider going to Totem Bight, a few miles out of Ketchikan.  Public bus $2 or $3 pp each way, and as is a State park, entry is only $5pp.  (info online plus tripadvisor etc) You could hike or bike both ways and only pay entry if you would prefer that. Ketchikan ideas here;

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2995995-ketchikan-self-exploration/#comment-67041614

Other port suggestions here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2982623-not-so-expensive-excursions/#comment-66756447

There will be many past threads for all your ports, you only need use the SEARCH tool to find them before deciding which to read.

On 3/6/2024 at 11:36 AM, caroleleblanc said:

Juneau we are actually renting e bikes upcoming.  We did go to Mendenhall on our own (lots of videos on YouTube on this) and had fun

Skagway - We rented e bikes and had a terrific day (May 2022).  Upcoming we are renting a e car from same place.

Ketchikan - easiest place to get around.  Took bus out to totems then hiked from the school down to the port.  Then walked around.  Easy, inexpensive day.  Do NOT pay for any hiking tour especially if you hike normally as they are very slow and have people who do not hike normally if you get my meaning.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2024 at 12:53 PM, SirTomster said:

First, you need to see what times you are in the ports.  Not all ships stay in the ports the same amount of time.  This will impact what you can do. 

I’m in the same stages of planning as OP, with the same ports. Speaking of port times, this is my very first cruise & I am concerned about taking an outside excursion and missing the boat (literally!). So, for the most part, I’m going with the HAL excursions to be on the safe side. 

But, I am looking for a mid afternoon Helicopter Glacier Landing with Dog Sled while in Juneau, following the Tracy Arm excursion. HAL is not offering one. 

What is the latest one should plan to get back to the ship before departure (I have a 10pm departure time from Juneau)?

PS. Any recommendations for great companies for this excursion? Temsco is popular on the Board, but is not running that afternoon. 

Edited by Ileneilene123

For Sept cruise look into Ketchikan Herring Cove tour so you can see black bears eating salmon. The Skagway train will be about the same price either cruise line or on your own but cruise line to train will be closer walk. Juneau whale watch. Victoria with late arrival just walk to downtown in the dark or don't bother. Sept helo likely not flying in Sept a few other tours will end in Aug. Tracy arm long boat ride 90 min each way to get there. 

• Like 1

In Skagway, we either booked the Yukon experience with Chilkoot Tours (up on the train, back on motorcoach).  We also rented a car one time instead of doing the train.  You will need to take your passports if going into Canada.  We like Harv & Marv's for whale watching in Juneau, and if there's time, the driver will sometimes swing by Mendenhall for a quick stop.  Ketchikan, we've done the Duck Tour or walked to Saxman for the totem poles.  Ketchikan is the best place to buy a rain jacket, IMO.  Victoria is kind of a toss up.  Not there for long, and it's usually late and not much open.  You can walk around the wharf.  This year, I plan on having tea at the Fairmont Empress to try that out.

We did a similar trip in 2022, so COVID was still a lingering issue.  There were restrictions on going into Canada on the train, so we rented a car in Skagway and did it on our own.  It was one of the best days of the cruise.  The car was waiting for us in the parking lot right outside the ship, and we dropped it off there when we were done.  We stopped along the way to hike and see the scenery, had the suspension bridge pretty much to ourselves, walked around the Carcross desert, stopped at Tagish Lake Kennel and took a 4 wheeler ride with the dogs, and hit the miner's cemetery on our way back to town.  Be prepared for any weather in September, we were there in early August and the temps dropped from about 70 to about 35 and we had sleet on the way back.  

• Like 1

we've booked Bennett lake tour via Chilkoot, but reading a lot of good experience of self drive makes me start to consider the self drive option, except that avis only has super expensive rentals left (~$400 for a day). May I ask from where did you guys get rental cars in Skygway?

We rented from Affordable Car Rental, and we were only about 2 weeks out from our trip at the time.  I can't remember the price, but it was reasonable--maybe $250 or so for the day.  I will say there wasn't a lot of communication, so I was crossing my fingers that the car would be there when we arrived--but it was there and ready to go, and everything went great.  I would definitely rent from them again.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2024 at 10:20 AM, Ileneilene123 said:

I’m in the same stages of planning as OP, with the same ports. Speaking of port times, this is my very first cruise & I am concerned about taking an outside excursion and missing the boat (literally!). So, for the most part, I’m going with the HAL excursions to be on the safe side. 

But, I am looking for a mid afternoon Helicopter Glacier Landing with Dog Sled while in Juneau, following the Tracy Arm excursion. HAL is not offering one. 

What is the latest one should plan to get back to the ship before departure (I have a 10pm departure time from Juneau)?

PS. Any recommendations for great companies for this excursion? Temsco is popular on the Board, but is not running that afternoon. 

If you tell the independent operators which cruise ship you are on, they will get you back to the ship on time.  I have never heard of an independent operator in Alaska not getting their guests back to the ship in time.  In fact, many have "guarantees" to get you back to the ship in time or they will pay for your food, lodging and costs to get you to the next port.  Then they usually say that in their X decades of doing business, they have never had to use the "guarantee."

I would aim to be back to the ship between 8.30-9pm since all board is usually 1/2 hour  before sailaway.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, frugaltravel said:

If you tell the independent operators which cruise ship you are on, they will get you back to the ship on time.  I have never heard of an independent operator in Alaska not getting their guests back to the ship in time.  In fact, many have "guarantees" to get you back to the ship in time or they will pay for your food, lodging and costs to get you to the next port.  Then they usually say that in their X decades of doing business, they have never had to use the "guarantee."

I would aim to be back to the ship between 8.30-9pm since all board is usually 1/2 hour  before sailaway.

Well, there was that one time in Juneau a few years ago when the fog rolled in unexpectedly and the helicopters couldn’t retrieve anyone from the dogsled camps.  The stranded passengers had to cuddle up with the huskies for the night! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

A good DIY hike in Juneau is take the tram up the mountain, then hike the trails at the top.    Beautiful views, inexpensive. 

However i can also say that juneau (and ISP) are great whale watching ports.   Not inexpensive, but our ISP whale watching was fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Used Turo to rent a car in Skagway and drove Klondike Highway all the way to Emerald Lake and back. This was definitely my highlight of my Alaskan cruise. The Yukon scenery is breathtakingly spectacular. You can get a free "Murray's Guide to the Klondike Highway" online and it gives you tons of mile-by-mile detail to follow along.