First solo cruise..first Princess cruise!!!

Oh my...well I did it!!!

I booked my first solo cruise. I have travelled before with my husband and/or kids and loved it.

My son passed away from cancer less than 2 years ago, and my youngest child left home a few months ago...so I am feeling very sad and in need of a 'pick-me-up' (although there really is NO pick-me-up after losing a child ).

My husband works and is also getting chemo right now for brain cancer, so he cannot travel.

That means...if I want to go somewhere...I need to go alone.

I have been reading reports of others who travel solo and been checking out the Solo boards... and decided I may be able to do this!!!

My last few cruises have been with Celebrity...which I LOVE, but a similar cruise cost me almost 3 times as much with them 😞

So...after lurking on the Princess boards, and much research, I decided on a 10 day Canada/New England cruise out of Quebec City. As I live in Canada it will be easy for me to get to, and I will feel closer to home. I also have some family in Halifax who I can see for a day at port.

So two biggies for me...from a person who does not like change and who struggles with anxiety.. new cruisline and cruising solo.

I am sure I will be on these boards asking questions about the Emerald ship,  and Princess in general...and I thank you in advance.

There is not really a question in here...it is more of a 'oh my goodness I have done something exciting but now I am getting nervous' post. 

Any tips, encouragement, or soothing words are welcomed...lol

• Like 9

The Emerald Princess will be wonderful for a solo ten day Canada/New England adventure!  Is this a Summer or Autumn trip?

There’s nothin’ better than being on a cruise ship.

• Like 1

That is a very nice itinerary...we've done it twice now.  I can't speak to the "solo" aspect...but MANY people do it without trouble.  Just hang in there and don't be shy about asking questions while on board (guest services) if you are unsure about anything.  Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

I was the caregiver for my grandparents until their passing.  I was lucky enough to have family that could take over when I needed a break.  Respite vacations for caregivers is one of the best things for mental health.

Your cruise is what you want to make of it.  You can be as social or as anti social as you want.  Scenery on Canada/New England cruises is awesome.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

I have done this cruise.  I have sailed solo (not on this cruise).  You will enjoy your respite.  Do as much/as little as you want.  Sometimes, one has to put themselves first.  Join your roll call.  Let them know you are traveling solo.  Strike up a conversation in the Piazza, the lounges outside Explorer's Lounge, share a table (if you are comfortable).  

Do not let your guard down when out and about.  There is still some danger for a single woman while on land.  

I was on the Caribbean Princess in July.  It took me almost a week to get into the cruise mindset.  I wondered why.  Then it dawned on me that the ship had many new cruises and kids.  It was just a different vibe from my fall cruise (same itinerary).  Much calmer and peaceful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have done this cruise.  I have sailed solo (not on this cruise).  You will enjoy your respite.  Do as much/as little as you want.  Sometimes, one has to put themselves first.  Join your roll call.  Let them know you are traveling solo.  Strike up a conversation in the Piazza, the lounges outside Explorer's Lounge, share a table (if you are comfortable).  

Do not let your guard down when out and about.  There is still some danger for a single woman while on land.  

I was on the Caribbean Princess in July.  It took me almost a week to get into the cruise mindset.  I wondered why.  Then it dawned on me that the ship had many new cruises and kids.  It was just a different vibe from my fall cruise (same itinerary).  Much calmer and peaceful.

That is one of the reasons I chose a 10 day in the fall...hopefully fewer kids and less of a  'party' atmosphere.

And...thank you for the advice.

• Like 1

All I want to say is that I hope you have a lovely cruise.  Yes, it will be different, but it could also be your new beginning.  All you need to do is put one foot in front of the other and slowly move forward.  Remember, you are brave, you are strong, you are beautiful and you are special.  Please get back to us when you return.  I would love to hear all about your cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

All I want to say is that I hope you have a lovely cruise.  Yes, it will be different, but it could also be your new beginning.  All you need to do is put one foot in front of the other and slowly move forward.  Remember, you are brave, you are strong, you are beautiful and you are special.  Please get back to us when you return.  I would love to hear all about your cruise.

Oh my...thank you so much. It has been a tough go here lately, so  your affirmations are lovely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Issues for single women in Canadian and US ports ?  If people feel that why do they even leave the house ?

23 minutes ago, memoak said:

Issues for single women in Canadian and US ports ?  If people feel that why do they even leave the house ?

I have already been to most of the places we are going to during land vacations. I would feel totally comfortable  walking around on my own during the day. And if it was dark I know where to stay in the more touristy areas. 

@travelloverontario you mention that this is your first with Princess.  So you are checking off two "adventures" at once.  Others have commended about solo travel, which I think is a great option.

Princess is a very different vibe from RCI.  There is less "stuff" on board to entertain you.  I don't get the impression that you are into climbing walls, waver riders, and water slides.  If so, I think you are going to be disappointed. There is very little, if any, corporate co-branding on Princess.  You won't find Starbucks or other big brands (Tim Horton's has better coffee anyway).  Princess has done, and continues to do "celebrity chef" co-brands in their dining rooms and specialty restaurants, but my cat has a longer attention span than Princess does in terms of keeping those "celebrity chefs" around.

If you stick to the MDR and ask to join a group table, I'm sure you will find nice folks to chat with and maybe some shoreside travel companions.  We've always met nice folks to chat with on board, and sometimes have had the opportunity to join each other on shore, or meet up for lunch or dinner on board later on in the cruise.

The Emerald Princess is one of the older Grand class ships.  Some folks split hairs about there being Grand class ships and Jewel class ships, but it is a Grand class hull design and the interior follows the Grand class layout.  Best place on those ships to spend a sea day or time between ports that is quiet and out of the way is up at Skywalkers.  It is a nightclub, but during the day is almost always just unused lounge space.  You are way up high behind the stack and have nearly 360 degree views of the ocean.  It is one of my favorite places to hang out because it is quiet, not many folks are up there, and the views are stellar.

Not sure what else to share.

I think you are going to have a great time.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jeromep said:

@travelloverontario you mention that this is your first with Princess.  So you are checking off two "adventures" at once.  Others have commended about solo travel, which I think is a great option.

Princess is a very different vibe from RCI.  There is less "stuff" on board to entertain you.  I don't get the impression that you are into climbing walls, waver riders, and water slides.  If so, I think you are going to be disappointed. There is very little, if any, corporate co-branding on Princess.  You won't find Starbucks or other big brands (Tim Horton's has better coffee anyway).  Princess has done, and continues to do "celebrity chef" co-brands in their dining rooms and specialty restaurants, but my cat has a longer attention span than Princess does in terms of keeping those "celebrity chefs" around.

If you stick to the MDR and ask to join a group table, I'm sure you will find nice folks to chat with and maybe some shoreside travel companions.  We've always met nice folks to chat with on board, and sometimes have had the opportunity to join each other on shore, or meet up for lunch or dinner on board later on in the cruise.

The Emerald Princess is one of the older Grand class ships.  Some folks split hairs about there being Grand class ships and Jewel class ships, but it is a Grand class hull design and the interior follows the Grand class layout.  Best place on those ships to spend a sea day or time between ports that is quiet and out of the way is up at Skywalkers.  It is a nightclub, but during the day is almost always just unused lounge space.  You are way up high behind the stack and have nearly 360 degree views of the ocean.  It is one of my favorite places to hang out because it is quiet, not many folks are up there, and the views are stellar.

Not sure what else to share.

I think you are going to have a great time.

Thanks for giving me some great information on the ship. I have never been on a RCI ship. I have most recently (last 4 cruises)  been on Celebrity...Summit and Reflection. So smaller, no bells and whistles. I prefer a smaller and quieter ship.

5 minutes ago, travelloverontario said:

Thanks for giving me some great information on the ship. I have never been on a RCI ship. I have most recently (last 4 cruises)  been on Celebrity...Summit and Reflection. So smaller, no bells and whistles. I prefer a smaller and quieter ship.

My mistake.  Terribly sorry.  Celebrity and Princess have a similar vibe.  I think Celebrity is a bit fancier in some areas, less fancy in others.  I think the two brands compete well against each other and provide cruisers quite a bit of variety if they hop back and forth between the brands, without really altering the style of cruising.  I guess I had RCI on the brain considering that I'm keenly aware that Celebrity is an RCI holding.

• Like 1

Yay you.  You've done the right thing FOR YOU.  I too am about to go (Sapphire April 5) solo for the first time after a string of challenges.  Breathe, do, and BE.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, memoak said:

I am sorry you misunderstood my warning.  I went on a walk in Quebec.  The local tour guide took us down an alley during the day and recommended that we do not return in the evening.  I have a very healthy respect for "fear" and am always aware of my surroundings.  If I "feel" the least bit hesitant, then I take another path.  Been there, done that.  I have always (knock on wood) remained safe in ports.

It was a general warning for anyone (male, female, or other) to be sure they are aware of their surroundings when in a strange place.  Most are daytime ports.  Most are to "touristy" areas.  But crimes of opportunity occurs everywhere.  

Please do not respond.  Not necessary to hear anymore of your concerns.  I travel extensively and will do WHAT I NEED TO DO...to keep myself safe.

• Like 1