Cunard and Oceania Comparison

GT38

I have sailed with Oceania several times.  I am considering sailing next year on Cunard's Queen Elizabeth in the Britannia Club Balcony category.  How does the food and service compare?

We have likewise enjoyed many Oceania sailings, about seven without checking.  We've only sailed Cunard once, a year ago on Queen Elizabeth.  She's a marvellous vessel, and we found the cuisine in Queens Grill to be superb, with the exception of only one evening in three weeks. 

We've never, in all honesty, had a bad meal on Oceania, and it's one of the reasons we keep returning.  We will be sailing on Vista next month, followed three weeks later by a two week voyage on Cunard's Queen Anne.  We will try to compare two new vessels from two different lines, but some facets will of course be subjective, so therefore problematic for a comparison. 

We can't comment on Britannia Club Balcony food and service, but the only thing (and it's a biggie) that rankles about Cunard outside of the Grills is the constant  need to pay for just about everything.  That includes bottled water, coffee, tea, soft drinks, snacks, etc.  In other words, everything that is included on Oceania.  Internet is a big item.  Very expensive on Cunard (I've just purchased a package for our May sailing), whereas internet is included on Oceania.  Tea and coffee are included in Grills (there is a Grills Lounge and Bar where these may be taken while relaxing with a book or chatting to fellow Grills guests).  Outside of the Lounge, your hand is in your pocket.  If the cuisine in Britannia Club is anywhere near the standard of Queens Grill, then it certainly won't disappoint.  Service?  Can't comment on that either, but in Grills it was superb.  Only one way for you to find out.....   Happy sailing.

• Thanks 1

We sailed Oceania Regatta last September and the food was good to poor compared to Queens Grills Suit on QM2. We haven’t traveled in anything other than QG on Cunard, and only on QM2. I did a review of our Regatta sailing from last September, go take a look. Happy Sailing!

Posted (edited)

We loved the "old" Oceania... indeed, we did a cruise in Renaissance Cruises' R7 when she was brand new.  And I think, gosh, six in REGATTA, one in  MARINA and and a few in RIVIERA.  Back in the days when they had an all European crew, too.... it was pretty special.  They remembered you and we remembered them.  

We gave up on them when my wife developed Coeliac disease and had to have a gluten-free diet.  Oceania, frankly, to our surprise, was just hopeless in catering to this.  We also got tired of their famous "Country Club Casual" dress code decline to YMCA standards and yes, 4-5 "gentlemen" at dinner on average wearing... baseball caps. A sea of chinos and polo shirts made more dismal amidst the impressive interiors.  Like a lawn boys convention at The Ritz. 

The far better itineraries of Oceania appeal but we find Cunard in the Grills superior on every level and they are simply outstanding with my wife's special diet.  And my wife wants her bathtub too... Oceania actually ripped out their splendid marble bathrooms on RIVIERA and MARINA... who would do such a thing?

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Mareblu said:

We have likewise enjoyed many Oceania sailings, about seven without checking.  We've only sailed Cunard once, a year ago on Queen Elizabeth.  She's a marvellous vessel, and we found the cuisine in Queens Grill to be superb, with the exception of only one evening in three weeks. 

We've never, in all honesty, had a bad meal on Oceania, and it's one of the reasons we keep returning.  We will be sailing on Vista next month, followed three weeks later by a two week voyage on Cunard's Queen Anne.  We will try to compare two new vessels from two different lines, but some facets will of course be subjective, so therefore problematic for a comparison. 

We can't comment on Britannia Club Balcony food and service, but the only thing (and it's a biggie) that rankles about Cunard outside of the Grills is the constant  need to pay for just about everything.  That includes bottled water, coffee, tea, soft drinks, snacks, etc.  In other words, everything that is included on Oceania.  Internet is a big item.  Very expensive on Cunard (I've just purchased a package for our May sailing), whereas internet is included on Oceania.  Tea and coffee are included in Grills (there is a Grills Lounge and Bar where these may be taken while relaxing with a book or chatting to fellow Grills guests).  Outside of the Lounge, your hand is in your pocket.  If the cuisine in Britannia Club is anywhere near the standard of Queens Grill, then it certainly won't disappoint.  Service?  Can't comment on that either, but in Grills it was superb.  Only one way for you to find out.....   Happy sailing.

I find your comment re tea, coffee etc.

being chargeable strange. All are free in the lido/king's court free 24 h.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sogne said:

Confirming your 'etc', unfortunately
☹️, snacks are available in the buffet throughout the day too and I would have thought, although not tested, for night owls too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sogne said:

I’m referring to real coffee.  Espressos, piccolo lattes, cappuccinos, etc.

17 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Confirming your 'etc', unfortunately
☹️, snacks are available in the buffet throughout the day too and I would have thought, although not tested, for night owls too.

We didn’t go to the buffet for snacks.  In the coffee lounge on the man level (not Grills Lounge on 11(?from memory) we had to purchase cappuccinos and buscuits.

4 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

We didn’t go to the buffet for snacks.  In the coffee lounge on the man level (not Grills Lounge on 11(?from memory) we had to purchase cappuccinos and buscuits.

I think you were either in QG or PG. Either way, coffee is available for quite a few hours of the day and the odd cookie too if it's known you are partial to them.

For the rest of the ship bar the Lido [deck eleven being QE/QV], I have no idea of the cost differential between Cunard and Oceania but if you pay more on the latter, that might account for the inclusive bit.

21 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

I’m referring to real coffee.  Espressos, piccolo lattes, cappuccinos, etc.

since I dont drink coffee it is not a problem 4 me but clarification originally would have been useful since the Lido supplies free drink snacks etc free 24 h 

In addition to #9. I would also add, some countries have different additions to the cruise price/ticket and in that case, a drinks package might be added, in which case some coffees might be included, a source of interesting debate occasionally.

Cunard is not thank goodness, AI, fully or partially for us, yet.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I think you were either in QG or PG. Either way, coffee is available for quite a few hours of the day and the odd cookie too if it's known you are partial to them.

For the rest of the ship bar the Lido [deck eleven being QE/QV], I have no idea of the cost differential between Cunard and Oceania but if you pay more on the latter, that might account for the inclusive bit.

That’s absolutely correct.  Oceania is pricier, generally, and several of the reasons are the inclusions, including internet.  However, we are paying much more for a Q3 on Queen Anne than for a PHI on Vista.  The preference for us is that the inclusions on Oceania mean we no longer, once we embark, have to think about every extra, big or small, because all are taken care of.  In Grills, in our Q3, the situation is the same, unless we venture outside the Grills bubble.  The Haven on NCL is the same.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Coffee, including things like cappuccino, is free in the Grills Lounge (deck 7 on QM2, deck 11 on QV and QE). It's also free with meals in Grills, Lido / Kings Court, Britannia and Club. For the last 3 venues, the coffee comes from a machine, it's not barista made. In Carinthia, Sir Samuels, Commodore (etc) then it's barista, but is chargeable at all levels unless covered by a drinks package. And the same with tea, free with meals from the Twinings range, chargeable in the bars with the Forté range, except Grills Lounge. Coffee and tea are also free with room service and there are things like the coffee / tea machines at the back of the QM2 planetarium, Connexions on QV and QE. 

Thank you, that’s exactly what my original post intended.  We confess to being extremely particular about coffee in its purest of Italian origins.  I’m certainly not averse to first morning coffee from a machine in desperation, but a glass of fresh water is preferable.  All you’ve outlined above is correct.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Coffee, including things like cappuccino, is free in the Grills Lounge (deck 7 on QM2, deck 11 on QV and QE). It's also free with meals in Grills, Lido / Kings Court, Britannia and Club. For the last 3 venues, the coffee comes from a machine, it's not barista made. In Carinthia, Sir Samuels, Commodore (etc) then it's barista, but is chargeable at all levels unless covered by a drinks package. And the same with tea, free with meals from the Twinings range, chargeable in the bars with the Forté range, except Grills Lounge. Coffee and tea are also free with room service and there are things like the coffee / tea machines at the back of the QM2 planetarium, Connexions on QV and QE. 

And Illy coffee machine thingies in the Grills cabins, if you can work them. I never have.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

And Illy coffee machine thingies in the Grills cabins, if you can work them. I never have.

I remember @exlondoner, we had this very discussion some time ago😂. My DH was born in northern Italy too many decades ago to mention, but he and the suite machine still speak the same language.  He produces a wonderful, aromatic, Illy caffe every morning.

• Like 1

I neglected to add that we absolutely love the Cunard experience.  It’s the reason we are returning in May.  The amazing bonus is being aboard for QA’s Naming Ceremony in Liverpool, and we’re counting the days.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

I remember @exlondoner, we had this very discussion some time ago😂. My DH was born in northern Italy too many decades ago to mention, but he and the suite machine still speak the same language.  He produces a wonderful, aromatic, Illy caffe every morning.

Ah, yes, I remember now too. 😀

• Like 1

I love those coffee making (or not) things in Grills cabins.  And encouaged by the appearance of them being used just once and never again by some poor, expectant soul and getting the same result that makes most of us ignore them henceforth.  Last year, they put instructions with it, too, and it was like the assembly diagram of flat pack furniture. 

I understand the appeal of "all inclusive" but appreciate that some may live to drink or live to "be connected" at sea, but other who don't, rather pay for that we want or need instead.  Although Cunard does seem to make the nature of the "packages" as complicated as the Illy coffee machines and, in the case of the Grills drinks package, as useless. 

Oceania did have great coffee and as I recall, some charming Italian ladies as baristas with whom I could practice my college Italian on... according to my wife, at every given opportunity, too. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mareblu said:

We've never, in all honesty, had a bad meal on Oceania, and it's one of the reasons we keep returning. 

We did one transatlantic on Oceania Marina (PH3), six or seven on QM2 (PG or QG). The only good to very good food we had at dinner on Oceania was in the Asian restaurant, Red Ginger, and the shrimp/lobster grill in their buffet. Other specialties and the MDR were extremely disappointing (e.g., overwhelming anise flavor in bouillabaisse, cold and congealed Sauce Choron in the MDR, boiled beef served as osso bucco in the Italian restaurant). We have had a few average meals on QM2, but the quality has always been much higher than our one Oceania experience.

Note that our Oceania trip was about a year after restart from the cruise industry shutdown, when staffing and training issues were especially acute. It is quite possible our experience was an anomaly due to those issues (and lack of quality control), but at their prices I am hesitant to give them another chance. Besides, we really only like ocean crossings - not port-to-port cruises - which is not the best use of Oceania's chosen focus on port-intensive trips.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

"A sea of chinos and polo shirts made more dismal amidst the impressive interiors.  Like a lawn boys convention at The Ritz."

This comment made my day and I thank you.

Lawn boys at the Ritz. That's delightful. 😆

Posted (edited)

Everyone seems to be comparing Queens/Princess Grill to Oceania which is not what the OP has asked about. Given the prices charged for the Grills you would want it to better/comparable to Oceania.

OP has asked for a comparison of a Britannia Club to Oceania.

We have done 3 cruises on Oceania Marina/Riviera in a standard balcony and 3 on Cunard, 2 in a standard balcony, 1 in Club.

We love them both for different reasons.

- Everyone eats the same food on Oceania, whether you are staying on an inside cabin or the Owners Suite. Those two groups could easily share a table for dinner and be none the wiser.  There are no separate dining areas for higher grade cabins.

- We have found the food on Oceania to be good to excellent with the occasional miss. We enjoy all the specialty restaurants (Polo/Toscana/Jacques/Red Ginger). The food on Oceania is much better than anything you will be offered in the Britannia Dining room on Cunard. That goes for the buffet (Terrace Cafe) as well, where they will grill to order lamb chops, lobster etc.

- Having said that we find the food on Cunard Britannia/Club to be quite acceptable for the price paid.  Britannia Club offers a couple of extra dishes and tableside desert preparation, but the menu is largely the same as the main dining room. (We have booked B Club for our Queen Anne cruise in June, although I am not sure it is worth the premium over Britannia.) The food comes across a bit more 'hotel banquet room/institutional' than Oceania which is more restaurant grade. But I've had some very enjoyable meals on Cunard.

- Cunard has the best scones at sea. No question.

- Oceania's afternoon tea is excellent. You never have to worry about getting table like you do in the Queens Room on Cunard.

- the staff on Oceania don't know how to make a hot cup of tea.

- entertainment and lectures much better on Cunard

- pool deck area  much more nicely fitted out on Oceania where you have proper padded loungers that the deck hands cover them in towels every morning. If you want that experience on Cunard you have to pay up for the Grills and their  exclusive Terrace. The standard pool deck experience on Cunard is no different to any other mass market line.

- always been happy with the staff/service on both lines

- Not much life on either line after 10pm.

- We like dressing up on Cunard, but are equally happy with the more relaxed County Club casual on Oceania. I don't bother too much with observing/getting upset with what other people wear on either line (well, maybe I do a bit on Cunard where the dress code is such an intrinsic part of the experience).

- There are more inclusions on Oceania. The coffee in particular. You can't compare the swill they offer in Kings Court with the barista coffee that is available on Oceania. Once again, what is available in the Grills is irrelevant to OP.

- everyone has access to sauna/steam room/ heated tile loungers in the spa on Oceania. I think you have to pay extra for those on Cunard.

- your room steward will stock your fridge on Oceania with any soft drink you prefer be it coke or mixers for the bottle of Gin/Scotch you have brought on board with you. You will pay for that on Cunard.

In summary we love both lines. If price were equal we would always go with Oceania, but its not. We are finding it harder to justify the Oceania price premium for standard balcony cabins. Moreso since they became more inclusive (you now get beer/wine with meals and an excursion allowance you can't refuse). One of us doesn't drink and we much prefer to do our own thing in port - so the Oceania deal has become less attractive to us.

But the fact that everyone on this board jumped to using the Grills as the benchmark against which to compare Oceania to, actually tells you a little bit about the standard Britannia experience on Cunard. Oceania is a premium/luxury light line (and priced accordingly), Cunard Britannia/Club is a mass market line. But a very pleasant mass market line.

Edited by Beagle5
  • Like 7

I made a point of emphasising that I couldn’t comment on Britannia Club food and service.  I didn’t, apart from mentioning that one was more expensive than the other, compare suites, because that would have indeed been irrelevant.  I instead discussed inclusives and non-inclusives on each line, which may help the OP in arriving at a decision.

• Like 1

Fair point.

However.... we always sailed Oceania in a Concierge grade balcony cabin.  And yes... I still remember just checking a Cunard cruise as an alternative and was struck how competitive Princess Grill was with what Oceania were charging then.  To use that awful term, it was a "no brainer" in terms of value for money. We returned to Cunard and haven't gone back to Oceania in... why it's been eight years now.  I am not sure what the per diems work out to now. Cunard have raised their prices substanially in the Grills so I suspect the difference is much greater now. 

But yes... some aspects of Oceania remain sigh inducing, at least "back then" like the beautiful deck areas, comfy deck chairs etc and superb deck service... frankly better than even the Grills offer lately.  We did one cruise in QE in Britannia Restaurant... I thought the food and service were exemplary for the price but the deck areas were atrocious... no service and a complete mess.  We actually had to complain.  

Two good products overall.. for us, the special diet remains the non negotiable.  Cunard manages that, in Grill or Britannia brilliantly.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I too remember that discussion as my Southern Italian DW operated the Illy machine with ease. She may have used a few choice words in her Neapolitan dialect though…