Port Canaveral sailing…pre cruise hotel in Orlando or near port ?

zdad59

Hi all.   We are experienced cruisers with virtually all of our sailings out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.   We’ll be sailing out of Port Canaveral for the first time when we sail next February 2025.    We always come in a day ahead of time.   Was wondering the advantages/disadvantages of doing the pre cruise night in Orlando or near the Port (Cocoa Beach)?   We’d be comfortable with both but having never sailed from this port I look to cruisers experienced with Port Canaveral to see if one location is superior to another. 

Either way we’ll need to arrange travel to/from Orlando to the port and a return.   We’ll either Uber or use a Go Port or similar shuttle service.   

Any advice is appreciated. 

Depends what you want to do with your pre-cruise time and how much time you have. Early arrival the day before? I'd head to the coast and enjoy the beach. Late(r) arrival? Pick a place near the airport (assuming MCO, there are plenty), have a nice dinner, get a good night's sleep, and head to the port in the morning.

We've done both. When we stayed in the Orlando area, it was because we were combining our cruise with a visit to the amusement parks 🤮. Otherwise we've stayed in the Cocoa Beach area at one of the oceanfront hotels. To me, that's much more enjoyable, relaxing, and a better way to begin my vacation. 

We love staying at Four Points by Sheraton, right next to Ron Jon, two block from the beach, and across the street there is a Publix, CVS, Walgreens and restaurants all around.  We used Cruise Control Transportation to get from the airport to the hotel, and also used them when we got off the ship. The morning of the cruise we used Cocoa Beach Shuttle from the hotel to the port, $10 bucks per person.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2024 at 8:39 AM, cruisegirl1976 said:

We love staying at Four Points by Sheraton, right next to Ron Jon, two block from the beach, and across the street there is a Publix, CVS, Walgreens and restaurants all around.  We used Cruise Control Transportation to get from the airport to the hotel, and also used them when we got off the ship. The morning of the cruise we used Cocoa Beach Shuttle from the hotel to the port, $10 bucks per person.  

I am a local and this is the best overall option due to it's brand and location of amenities.

On a side note, if you like comedy, there is a comedy club just up the road called Gregories upstairs.  There is also an excellent steak house on the ground floor. Best in the area.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I am a local and this is the best overall option due to it's brand and location of amenities.

On a side note, if you like comedy, there is a comedy club just up the road called Gregories upstairs.  There is also an excellent steak house on the ground floor. Best in the area.

oh good to know.. we are planning on staying at Four Points again before our next cruise and we always look for things to do around the area. Thanks 🙂