Starlink

Not impressed with Starlink on Regent Grandeur during January and February.  DL speed was about three times faster on Splendor last winter without Starlink.

3 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

Not impressed with Starlink on Regent Grandeur during January and February.  DL speed was about three times faster on Splendor last winter without Starlink.

I have about 40 data points for DL with SL - what were your test results?

18 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I have about 40 data points for DL with SL - what were your test results?

I believe we discussed this in a previous thread...

image.jpeg.59caa252730836beffac8fe2e35186ca.jpeg

1 minute ago, Pcardad said:

Apologies! Seems like most people are capping at 4MBPS down.....

No apology necessary.  Splendor DL speed averaged about 7 Mbps.

Just now, -Lew- said:

No apology necessary.  Splendor DL speed averaged about 7 Mbps.

That's great! You are the first I have heard this from....I have about 30 people at 4 give or take 2%

3 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

That's great! You are the first I have heard this from....I have about 30 people at 4 give or take 2%

Here's a typical test result while on Splendor...

image.jpeg.e6dc567373500b4160b5545396dd913d.jpeg

I wonder why Starlink's DL speed is being restricted on Grandeur.  Starlink's website advertises the following.  I certainly don't need 40 Mbps, but a speed above 20 would be very useful.

image.png

44 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

I wonder why Starlink's DL speed is being restricted on Grandeur.  Starlink's website advertises the following.  I certainly don't need 40 Mbps, but a speed above 20 would be very useful.

image.png

OPINION - Regent bought a certain amount of bandwidth and by restricting it, they ensure an equal experience for all.

On 3/12/2024 at 11:27 AM, -Lew- said:

image.png

The website is shilling the max speeds - i.e. one user.

Consider the effect of multiple users at the same time - if you have 40 Mbps and 40 pax are downloading at the same time, that's effectively 1 Mbps for each person. In addition,  the bandwidth/speed is shared with other functions on the ship - crew, booking agents, shops, etc.

That's why speed gets a lot better when usage is low - as in the middle of the night. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

In my opinion, Regent could do a lot better. We were recently on a Seabourn cruise Los Angeles to Honolulu round-trip. I checked the Internet speed and it went from 50 to 100 Mpbs True there are approximately 450 people on board. So I can't understand the disparity.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, captjohn said:

In my opinion, Regent could do a lot better. We were recently on a Seabourn cruise Los Angeles to Honolulu round-trip. I checked the Internet speed and it went from 50 to 100 Mpbs True there are approximately 450 people on board. So I can't understand the disparity.

We were on Explora I in January and speeds were generally in the 130mbs range with the ship of 500 passengers.   Variation was a low of 50 and a high of 180.  The easiest thing a cruise line can do to ensure "fairness" is to throttle the speeds per account to 4 to 7.