The Nicest and Least Expensive Stateroom on a Ship

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

The point was to share how cruising, over decades can evolve.  Our Inside Cabin with Bunk Beds was the most luxurious accommodations at the time.  Just being on a cruise and just being married was awesome. 

First time we ever cruised was because I noticed a brochure at one of the warehouse type stores and I was thinking it would be a good experience for the kids.  We wanted to expose them to lots of different things and thought this cruise would just be a one-time thing.  We were four to a room (2 connecting inside rooms) on the old NCL Sea and we all had a blast.  I guess it helped that we had a lot of experience camping out in one big tent, lol.  Anyway the kids (and us) all got hooked on cruising and are have now talked their spouses into it too all these years later.  Our newest generation of cruisers can be found in the "splash pad" lol.

Interestingly, we have never felt the need to upgrade much (although our kids like to live large).  We book OVs and balconies sometimes if the price is right but don't really put much value on them.  Half the time we hardly use the balcony for any number of reasons.  Last time we had one we had very noisy neighbors, for example. We once miraculously got upgraded to one of the better suites (from an inside!) on a Celebrity ship.  Of course it was "better" objectively but not anything we would be willing to pay for even with the "special" dining room and spa inclusions. 

We usually cruise in Europe and are interested in the ports, not interested in luxury while on a ship. Although I will pay for better hotel rooms/suites on land because we get much more use out of them.  (On a ship we are out and about all the time but on land we stay in and relax at night.)  I'll also spend on furniture and household things because they are permanent fixtures.  We have a lot of antiques, for example.  In other words, I'll pay for something I want but it definitely has to be value for money. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BandAgain said:

Perhaps...to avoid confusion/conflict...nicest/least expensive cabins in each broad category should be discussed individually. Best solo, best inside

On some ships, the "best" insides are the ones that don't have pullman beds hanging off the walls.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

On some ships, the "best" insides are the ones that don't have pullman beds hanging off the walls.

As a fellow inside cabin denizen, I agree.  We have the beds split when that is the case.  Not very romantic but the open space in the middle does make the cabin much more comfortable.

23 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

As a fellow inside cabin denizen, I agree.  We have the beds split when that is the case.  Not very romantic but the open space in the middle does make the cabin much more comfortable.

I'll have them split if/when we wind up in that situation again.  It only happened on our first cruise over 25 years ago, and I got smarter.  As I get older, I'm even thinking about just doing that routinely, as it would make it easier to get around.  It's really not a big deal for those of us with steerage expectations.

• Like 1

We love the sideway oceanview cabins ( OK ) located on deck #8 midship on the Jewel and Dawn class ships. There is plenty of room to move around, close to O'Sheehans, and cheap.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, IrieBajan54 said:

As a solo, the best cabin on a ship is the least expensive one (an inside). Sure, it's nice to have sunlight or to have a balcony door for some fresh air. However, I don't have a desire to spend solitary time in a cabin. I like to be out and about and people watching is interesting.

I visited the Haven on a couple of cabin crawls. What I saw was nice but have no desire to ever book one. i got better use for my money. I had a mini suite on Princess years ago but did not hang out there.

If I was traveling solo, I’d do this also.

MAYBE…a cheap unobstructed balcony if I was cruising someplace like Alaska where the views are arguably worth it.

No way that I do Haven as a solo. I could but I’d consider it far too much of a waste.

• Like 2

Funny the twist and turns a topic takes on Social Media.  Since I am the author, I kick in every now and then to emphasis the original reason why I did the topic. First allow me to address some things:

Solo Traveling:  Anyone that knows me, knows I love the Haven.  No excuses, no regrets, I love the Haven.  Just call me Bougie Old Man.  When I did my one and only Solo Cruise on the NCL Joy, I was in a Club Suite not the Haven.  Did I attempt to bid up to the Haven, yes.  My bids were to low and that sailing, another NCL Ship had to cancel and those guest were give the opportunity to cruise the Joy that week so all the Haven Cabin's were gone. So as a solo I did the Free At Sea PLUS program.  I bought some more specialty restaurant nights. I had a week in the Vibe Beach Club.  I call this Haven Lite and wrote about it on CruiseCritic.com.  A very nice way to cruise for sure.  Did I miss the Haven, yes.  Why?  Did I tell you I loved the Haven.  My money my call. 

Haven Owners Suite with Large Balcony:  Great suite especially since I got it at a bargain fair. I booked it during Covid not knowing if that cruise would be cancelled like so my other I had booked previously. The Joy almost got cancelled.  The Cruise I was on with my entire family was a 50% filled, cruise which was the Joy's second cruise out.  The first was Thanksgiving.  I paid less then a normal Haven Suite today with all the perks given after so many cancelations.  Would I do it again, NO.  The cost is way to high now.  Over double what I paid.  But, I will tell you, it was fun while it lasted.  Once in a life time opportunity.  Once was enough.  

Inside Cabins: Some how the thought that I think inside cabins are bad has been completely wrong.  My transition from an Inside cabin to let's say a balcony was based on my wife's love to have a drink, on the balcony at night.  I liked inside cabins because I would never get awakened by the sun because there was no windows.  On my Solo cruise, I did a Club Suite because it only charged me for one person instead of double occupancy.  

Luxury To Me:  Luxury as defined for me is kind of simply.  Anything that can enhance my cruising experience from my past experience.  The biggest aspect of Luxury is Personalized Service.  Folks get to know you, your name, you drinks and your likes/dislikes.  This service happens much more in area's like the Haven, Celebrity Retreat, MSC Yacht Club or Premium Plus/Luxury/Ultra Luxury brands.  You pay for this treatment and if it does not many anything to you, you can choose another brand or accommodation and still have an unbelievable time. You make the call.  They key is, read and listen to all comments.  Then it will make it much easier for you to make a good business decision for you.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 5

The nicest/least expensive stateroom is the one that I am currently in. Since I'm not on a cruise, there are no nicest/least expensive staterooms. Period. And you won't change my mind! 

Cowboy up, y'all! 🤠

On 3/13/2024 at 11:57 AM, The Traveling Man said:

The most amazing stateroom I have ever seen on any NCL ship is the Owner's Suite on the Dawn class ships.  There are similar staterooms on Jewel class ships, and possibly on others.  From my perspective, though, there really is no comparison.  Is it the least expensive?  Not by a long shot.  But it is an utterly amazing suite.

The only cabin that got us booking a Haven suite on a ship without the Haven restaurant & bar, was the 3-bedroom Garden Villa on the Dawn.  If not the largest, it has to be one of the largest cabin and balcony at sea:

Stateroom Size:

6,694 sq ft*
Balcony 4,455 sq ft*

If three couples book it, it could be a very reasonable price per couple, for an unforgettable experience.  Two of the 3 bedrooms are master suites; the 3rd is mini-suite size.

There are two GVs on the Dawn.  We had the starboard one, that comes with an industrial kitchen (port side GV didn’t, but had a bar area in the living/dining room), complete with microwave.  I used it each morning to heat milk for my latte.

The balcony was on 2 levels.  We had a sauna beside the private hot tub on the lower level, and an outside table in the shade with a lazy susan center.  The upper level had 6 loungers (crew changed the towel liners each morning, whether they were used or not), and a bar table with 6 stools.  It overlooked the ship’s pool deck.

There was also a setup that piped music to the lower balcony.

We shared with my 2 sisters and their husbands.  One sister’s husband was diagnosed with early dementia, so it was a safe environment for him.  And four days after the cruise ended, that sister lost her beloved husband when a car drove up onto the sidewalk and hit them.  That cruise was the last time all of us were together.  Beautiful memories.  

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PatJim said:

The only cabin that got us booking a Haven suite on a ship without the Haven restaurant & bar, was the 3-bedroom Garden Villa on the Dawn.  If not the largest, it has to be one of the largest cabin and balcony at sea:

Stateroom Size:

6,694 sq ft*
Balcony 4,455 sq ft*

If three couples book it, it could be a very reasonable price per couple, for an unforgettable experience.  Two of the 3 bedrooms are master suites; the 3rd is mini-suite size.

There are two GVs on the Dawn.  We had the starboard one, that comes with an industrial kitchen (port side GV didn’t, but had a bar area in the living/dining room), complete with microwave.  I used it each morning to heat milk for my latte.

The balcony was on 2 levels.  We had a sauna beside the private hot tub on the lower level, and an outside table in the shade with a lazy susan center.  The upper level had 6 loungers (crew changed the towel liners each morning, whether they were used or not), and a bar table with 6 stools.  It overlooked the ship’s pool deck.

There was also a setup that piped music to the lower balcony.

We shared with my 2 sisters and their husbands.  One sister’s husband was diagnosed with early dementia, so it was a safe environment for him.  And four days after the cruise ended, that sister lost her beloved husband when a car drove up onto the sidewalk and hit them.  That cruise was the last time all of us were together.  Beautiful memories.  

Thank you for refreshing my memory and correcting my mistake.  Yes, it is called the Garden Villa, not the Owner's Suite.  Poh-tay-toe, Pah-tah-tah ?  A rose by any other name would still be an amazing three-bedroom suite with more amenities than you can shake a stick at.  Dining table for eight, grand piano, giant big screen TV, living room with enough sofa seating for eight adults, etc., etc., etc.  Simply amazing !  Oh yeah, and wrap around one-way mirror windows from one end of the living room to the other that overlook the pool which is one deck below.

Edited by The Traveling Man
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Dining table for eight, grand piano, giant big screen TV, living room with enough sofa seating for eight adults, etc., etc., etc.

Why would I need or want any of those on a cruise ship?  Most of that is crap we already have at home the rest of the year.  And I live in an apartment.😎

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why would I need or want any of those on a cruise ship?  Most of that is crap we already have at home the rest of the year.  And I live in an apartment.😎

To each his own. Some folks like to save money by traveling in steerage so they can afford to travel more frequently.  Other folks like to splurge for a once-in-a-lifetime experience.  Some folks like to splurge all the time.  Whatever floats your boat.

• Like 3

I know we are all posting with a bit of a sense of humor.  That make me very happy.  Sometimes, we take life a bit to seriously.  Yet some things have been brought up that for me kind of make sense.  Cruising scratches a different itch for each person.  

Frequent Vacations: To some, this is more important than a over the top stateroom.  On another blog, there is a person that feels very strongly about taking more cruises and never having an expensive stateroom. This same person loves to tell stories of getting off at different ports to find very inexpensive wines and liquor's.  All this is fine until this same poster basically wants ever other poster to agree with them or they criticize those that disagree. 

Once In A Life Time Experiences:  Then there are posters that would prefer not to cruise or vacation all that often.  Instead, they would rather have a nicer stateroom, maybe The Haven or Retreat or Yacht Club.  Maybe even an owners suite or nicer with all kinds of nice appointments. For this person, the experience is enhanced by as I have said a few time, "Being Treated Like a Rock Star for One Week A year".

Vacationing All the Time:  This was brought up in an earlier post.  I wish this person was me, sure is not.  But I get great joy from those that can actually vacation all the time.  One such couple I follow on YouTube.  That kind, sweet and humble.  They both obviously did very well in life prior to retirement.  They go on Brands like Regent Seven Seas, Ritz Carlton, and other high-end cruise experiences. Somehow, I get great pleasure watching their experience knowing it is not something I will ever be able to do. Enjoying someone else's experience is a gift.  

Each example to me is unique, special and share how people can and are different.  What unites each example is everyone loves to cruise.  For me personally, that is enough.  Something about cruising simply scratches my itch in a way land based vacation never had.  I am the middle kind of cruiser.  I used to be the cruiser that did the least expense cruise.  I like to say, I have rarely been on a cruise that I did not enjoy.

I would like to add something that makes my cruises really special.  For me, nothing is better for me then to go on a cruise with it is my guest first time.  That just happened to me and watching their reactions really made my cruise even better. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

To each his own. Some folks like to save money by traveling in steerage so they can afford to travel more frequently.  Other folks like to splurge for a once-in-a-lifetime experience.  Some folks like to splurge all the time.  Whatever floats your boat.

Do you think there are some that could easily afford to "splurge all the time," but sail in steerage all the time because they would rather do other things with all that "extra money?"  It could happen....🤑

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Vacationing All the Time:

I DO vacation all the time.  52 weeks a year.  About 44 of those, I have free access to Dining table for eight, (no) grand piano, giant big screen TV, living room with Lazy Boy recliners and Stressless chair seating for as many adults as I ever want to see at one time, etc., etc., etc.  Simply amazing !  I also have free access to a nice exercise room, huge heated swimming pool and hot tub jacuzzi.  The rest of the time I cruise!😎

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I DO vacation all the time.  52 weeks a year.  About 44 of those, I have free access to Dining table for eight, (no) grand piano, giant big screen TV, living room with Lazy Boy recliners and Stressless chair seating for as many adults as I ever want to see at one time, etc., etc., etc.  Simply amazing !  I also have free access to a nice exercise room, huge swimming pool and hot tub jacuzzi.  The rest of the time I cruise!😎

@ChiefMateJRK Well stated.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks Gary.  Sorry for adding a bit of crosstalk to your excellent thread.🙂

@ChiefMateJRK Heck NO, I dearly love it. I am about to go back to Europe next month thanks to Delta Airlines raising my status to Diamond and having a sale to Paris.  This is a gift to my 32 year old daughter.  I begged her to do a cruise with me but she does not love cruising as I do.  So I did my normal due diligence and took care of most of the other details. I am still going to miss not being on a cruise ship but we will get by.  Four countries in 10 days.  Seriously, I am looking forward to it.  Different experience.

• Like 1

Jim and I call it Value Spending.  All of us here on CC have a limited amount of income vs. expenses.  After deducting necessary expenses (taxes, insurance, housing….) what’s left is discretionary.  There are a million things we could use this $ for—recovering the living room couch comes to mind—but we prefer spending it on cruises, booking 2-bedroom Haven cabins and sharing the cost with my widowed sister or inviting friends to come with us.  It’s about the experiences we have onboard, sharing with family and friends, and also seeing crew members we are close to, or meeting new ones who will become friends.  For us, there’s nothing like it.  Our visitors will just have to put up with the couch as it is🥰

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PatJim said:

All of us here on CC have a limited amount of income vs. expenses.  After deducting necessary expenses (taxes, insurance, housing….) what’s left is discretionary.

How do you know this?

The Family SJ suites on the Dawn for me was the most cost effective nicest  option. Though no Haven we had suite perks plus breakfast and lunch in Moderno. My first Club Balcony did not impress and for now staying with my standard balcony

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I know we are all posting with a bit of a sense of humor.  That make me very happy.  Sometimes, we take life a bit to seriously.  Yet some things have been brought up that for me kind of make sense.  Cruising scratches a different itch for each person.  

Frequent Vacations: To some, this is more important than a over the top stateroom.  On another blog, there is a person that feels very strongly about taking more cruises and never having an expensive stateroom. This same person loves to tell stories of getting off at different ports to find very inexpensive wines and liquor's.  All this is fine until this same poster basically wants ever other poster to agree with them or they criticize those that disagree. 

Once In A Life Time Experiences:  Then there are posters that would prefer not to cruise or vacation all that often.  Instead, they would rather have a nicer stateroom, maybe The Haven or Retreat or Yacht Club.  Maybe even an owners suite or nicer with all kinds of nice appointments. For this person, the experience is enhanced by as I have said a few time, "Being Treated Like a Rock Star for One Week A year".

Vacationing All the Time:  This was brought up in an earlier post.  I wish this person was me, sure is not.  But I get great joy from those that can actually vacation all the time.  One such couple I follow on YouTube.  That kind, sweet and humble.  They both obviously did very well in life prior to retirement.  They go on Brands like Regent Seven Seas, Ritz Carlton, and other high-end cruise experiences. Somehow, I get great pleasure watching their experience knowing it is not something I will ever be able to do. Enjoying someone else's experience is a gift.  

Each example to me is unique, special and share how people can and are different.  What unites each example is everyone loves to cruise.  For me personally, that is enough.  Something about cruising simply scratches my itch in a way land based vacation never had.  I am the middle kind of cruiser.  I used to be the cruiser that did the least expense cruise.  I like to say, I have rarely been on a cruise that I did not enjoy.

I would like to add something that makes my cruises really special.  For me, nothing is better for me then to go on a cruise with it is my guest first time.  That just happened to me and watching their reactions really made my cruise even better. 

I envy your ability to create a word picture.  You expressed so clearly what I was trying to say.  My best effort was a simple "to each his own."  I enjoyed your version much more than my own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

How do you know this?

Because anything less than infinity is, by definition, limited.  By definition, any assets not required for the necessities of life or savings for future necessary expenditures are available for discretionary spending.