Cruise prices?

We travelled on Wonder of the Seas over Christmas last year and looking at the same dates for this year and it is 70% more than last year. We looked at Symphony and that is super pricy. Any chance there might be a sale that will make it cheaper that comes out later? Are there that many more people cruising? I was just a surprised and wondering if I need to shift gear for our Christmas plans.

Any thoughts?

Jenn

One thread just slowed down this week titled, "Anyone Else Considering Leaving RCL over Prices?"  

331 replies and 14.5K views.

In so many words, it seems like for this year at least, the prices do not go down significantly in most cases. There is a bit of softening with Royal dangling some onboard credit during "sales" periods but no significant price decreases.

@mets123 stated a good option. Book fully refundable fares and make a decision about four months out to cancel if you do not see the final price within your budget.

Everyone has talked about the significant increases and it is affecting many cruisers.

• Like 2

Check with some travel agents , as they may have group rates and they could be lower than published rates by the cruise lines .

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Two factors: first, Christmas sailings are among the priciest all year, and last years fares were last years fares; second, cruise bookings are very strong and fares are following.  There may be sales moving forward, but I would not expect fares in general to be at the level they were last year or years prior.

As others have said, if there is a certain time and itinerary you are interested in, book it now and watch for fare decreases moving forward.  If you are uncertain of committing to that itinerary, I would suggest booking at a refundable deposit fare (yes, that will be the higher fares) to allow you the flexibility of canceling without penalty to your deposit.  Or at the very least add cancel for any reason insurance with a non-refundable deposit booking if the difference in fares and deposit amount support the premium to protect your deposit.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, loman said:

Check with some travel agents , as they may have group rates and they could be lower than published rates by the cruise lines .

11 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Two factors: first, Christmas sailings are among the priciest all year, and last years fares were last years fares; second, cruise bookings are very strong and fares are following.  There may be sales moving forward, but I would not expect fares in general to be at the level they were last year or years prior.

As others have said, if there is a certain time and itinerary you are interested in, book it now and watch for fare decreases moving forward.  If you are uncertain of committing to that itinerary, I would suggest booking at a refundable deposit fare (yes, that will be the higher fares) to allow you the flexibility of canceling without penalty to your deposit.  Or at the very least add cancel for any reason insurance with a non-refundable deposit booking if the difference in fares and deposit amount support the premium to protect your deposit.

As above if you can find a TA with group prices they are also refundable. And 99% of the time lower than booking nonrefundable direct prices.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I've actually had good luck with Christmas cruise prices. Just not on oasis type ships 

....and any newer RCCL megaship! (Quantum, Icon classes)

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I just did several mock bookings. Prices for Christmas 2024 cruises are significantly lower if you stay away from Icon, Oasis class ships and newer Quantum class ships. Based on the current demand for cruises, I don’t think you will see any significant reduction in cruise fares around Christmas on RCI’s newer ships like the two you mentioned (Wonder and Symphony). 

Edited by PhillyFan33579
  • Like 2

I can confirm the WOW Sale isn't really a sale, unless I'm missing something.

A price I logged yesterday showed a Central Park Interior at $2,577.42 and today it's $2,727.42 with two $75 onboard credits. I didn't see one rate that was actually lower overall from yesterday.

I think you're still better off booking as soon as you can, as I think prices will go up, not down. Your discount is not paying tomorrow's prices..

• Like 3