Getaway arriving late tommorrow??

We actually did well. We arrived at 4:30 PM and got right on the boat—minimal wait times in the Terminal. Seems that many people got there well before the 3 PM start time for embarkation. 

We got one of the last parking spots on the pier. Whew!

As suspected, the captain hugged the coastline to minimize the rough ride, at the expense of 1 day in Bermuda—we are arriving now, as opposed to yesterday’s originally-scheduled arrival. 

Unfortunately, our departure time from Bermuda has not been modified from the originally-scheduled 7 AM Friday. I thought it would be moved back to 2 PM like the previous cruise, since weather on the way back should be fine. But…no. 

We got $100 OBC as compensation but I’d much rather have an extra half-day in Bermuda. I wonder whether Getaway is still speed-restricted. 

The ride down was pretty rough all the way until yesterday afternoon. Not much that could be done about that though. Looking like good weather for today and tomorrow in Bermuda, and for that I am grateful!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Just happened to pull up the Bermuda web cam and I see the GA is docking. Looks like she could use some touch up paint lol

Just noticed that as well on the ferry to St. George!

And another update: not only are we not staying a bit later, we are leaving early. The captain announced that we are sailing Thursday at 6 PM to avoid worsening weather conditions on the way back to New York. 

This seems a bit dodgy to me—Windy shows poor sea conditions on Friday that seem to get better on Saturday. I’m wondering whether they are covering for propulsion issues. 

They’ve issued us another $100 of OBC, but I’m less than thrilled. 

I’ll write up thoughts when we get home, but we have definitely seen evidence of cutbacks. The food has been decidedly lower quality than in the past, and the entertainment hasn’t been great. 

We’re booked for August on the Joy, and leaning towards keeping our reservation, but this trip has been somewhat disappointing. Some of that is due to weather, which is beyond the control of NCL, but the product has suffered a bit. Not as dramatically as I’ve heard on here, but enough to notice. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, dcipjr said:

And another update: not only are we not staying a bit later, we are leaving early. The captain announced that we are sailing Thursday at 6 PM to avoid worsening weather conditions on the way back to New York. 

This seems a bit dodgy to me—Windy shows poor sea conditions on Friday that seem to get better on Saturday. I’m wondering whether they are covering for propulsion issues. 

I’ll write up thoughts when we get home, but we have definitely seen evidence of cutbacks. The food has been decidedly lower quality than in the past, and the entertainment hasn’t been great. 

We’re booked for August on the Joy, and leaning towards keeping our reservation, but this trip has been somewhat disappointing. Some of that is due to weather, which is beyond the control of NCL, but the product has suffered a bit. Not as dramatically as I’ve heard on here, but enough to notice. 

Looking forward to your comments on Getaway cutbacks. 

We're sailing Getaway in 23 days. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dcipjr said:

At least you have two mostly sunny days. Hit the Frog and Onion for dinner

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dcipjr said:

I missed this announcement! Glad I read it on here

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2024 at 6:55 AM, dcipjr said:

... The ride down was pretty rough all the way until yesterday afternoon. Not much that could be done about that though. Looking like good weather for today and tomorrow in Bermuda, and for that I am grateful!

Here are some screenshots taken from GA's live webcam feed, sea state did look rough & choppy with small white caps, a little "better" than last week's battle to get out & return.  Was following the course/heading and sure enough, looked almost as if she was heading south to Port Canaveral / Nassau, until she made that port side turn for Bermuda down in MD/VA coast - definitely not a typical routing to evade the worst of the storms at sea.

Collage_2024-03-24_08_14_26.thumb.jpg.bfb38d443a74d101a69d1d4b7961d17d.jpg

Screenshot_20240326-175134.thumb.png.1d2cf2695e74b94458a382d275106ac5.png

It does looked like another rough one ahead, but not as bad as before ... have a feeling GA will head further west before turning north to go around the rough weather.  

BTW, if and when you get time and chance to write things up ... can you have a look at GA's navigational channel ... curious mind wanted to know if NCL has updated their app & data displayed - information released on speed, direction, wind, air temp, etc. were very limited ... and, even worst on the Prima/Vera class ships (was told they are upgrading ... )   

Can you also ask - if possible - at the CruiseNext desk for a mini printout of the ship's senior officers onboard ... possibly very useful info (that I can use & pass along) for an upcoming GA cruise in early May for a CC'er doing B2B2B with an active CC roll call.  TIA.  

Have a safe crossing coming back later.  Regards - HM

Edited by mking8288

27 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

A friend embarking on the Getaway from New York today is hearing rumors that there might be a change to their Bermuda itinerary. Windy app shows....windy. @bluesea777 what do you see for the week?

Windy is showing sea conditions tomorrow that are considerably better than anything we got (aside from the last sea day, yesterday). 

If Getaway is delayed getting to Bermuda again, then I’m suspecting that she’s still having mechanical issues.

We had to depart Thursday evening from Bermuda, faced a really rocky Friday morning, and then had calm seas from late Friday until we arrived today. 

I’m really not sure why they didn’t just have us leave Bermuda on Friday afternoon—unless, of course, she is unable to make or sustain her top speed. 

On 3/27/2024 at 8:55 AM, dcipjr said:

I mentioned this much earlier in the thread so it’s probably lost in background, but I was on Getaway 10-day Caribbean ending March 7. We skipped Taino Bay and headed back to NY a day early from San Juan.  Captain stated it was necessary to get back to NY early because of bad weather and the current in NY harbor - in 72 hours. We skipped a port and spent 3 days at sea instead of the original 2 days. We got to the pier at 2am instead of 6am. Weather in NY was fine.

All that to arrive in NY four hours early?  I didn’t believe it then, still don’t. I think they have a propulsion issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MCMC100 said:

All that to arrive in NY four hours early?  I didn’t believe it then, still don’t. I think they have a propulsion issue. 

The weather for the trip down to Bermuda tomorrow looks fine on Windy, and the National Weather Service is also calling for 4 foot seas tomorrow. 

We pulled into our berth at Pier 88 at 4 AM this morning, so ahead of schedule.

If Getaway can’t get to Bermuda by Tuesday, I’d suspect some sort of propulsion issue as well. Conditions are near-ideal for tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, dcipjr said:

The weather for the trip down to Bermuda tomorrow looks fine on Windy, and the National Weather Service is also calling for 4 foot seas tomorrow. 

We pulled into our berth at Pier 88 at 4 AM this morning, so ahead of schedule.

If Getaway can’t get to Bermuda by Tuesday, I’d suspect some sort of propulsion issue as well. Conditions are near-ideal for tomorrow. 

The weather in Bermuda looks very windy for Tuesday through Friday, which makes it very difficult to maneuver and dock in Bermuda due to the narrow channels. We were unable to dock in Bermuda last year for this reason.

16 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

The weather in Bermuda looks very windy for Tuesday through Friday, which makes it very difficult to maneuver and dock in Bermuda due to the narrow channels. We were unable to dock in Bermuda last year for this reason.

That makes sense. 

I always follow Bermuda's Weather Service (https://www.weather.bm)—they have the most accurate predictions. They are not forecasting anything that looks too drastic, but it's still a few days out.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2024 at 1:57 PM, MCMC100 said:

I mentioned this much earlier in the thread so it’s probably lost in background, but I was on Getaway 10-day Caribbean ending March 7. We skipped Taino Bay and headed back to NY a day early from San Juan.  Captain stated it was necessary to get back to NY early because of bad weather and the current in NY harbor - in 72 hours. We skipped a port and spent 3 days at sea instead of the original 2 days. We got to the pier at 2am instead of 6am. Weather in NY was fine.

Probably the same propulsion issue they had over the 22/23 New Year's Eve cruise...of course it couldn't possibly be that, though! 

23 minutes ago, shof515 said:

ship ais data shows the ship going to Nassau, Bahamas. any idea why it is not saying in Bermuda until Friday? 

Weather forecast looks windy. Just texted a friend on the Getaway to get update. There were rumors since embarkation about porting in Nassau.

Posted (edited)

There's another post here, pax were notified on embarkation afternoon - onboard -that due to forecasted wind & wave, they are doing Nassau before turning home. OBC issued ... 

Screenshot_20240402-160945.png

Not as bad as last 2 sailings, wind n waves. GA was going 18 to 20 kts at times.

Edited by mking8288

2 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

There's another post here, pax were notified on embarkation afternoon - onboard -that due to forecasted wind & wave, they are doing Nassau before turning home. OBC issued ... 

Friend on Getaway mentioned 20% FCC.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Friend on Getaway mentioned 20% FCC.

Not bad, we could use 20% off ahead ... They were rocking n rolling last week & charted a very different course going there & coming back. 

Got folks going soon on the Joy ... keeping eyes on these runs. 

Collage_2024-04-02_16_21_20.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, shof515 said:

ship ais data shows the ship going to Nassau, Bahamas. any idea why it is not saying in Bermuda until Friday? 

Found the CC link - guessing others & you missed this post and CC's search engine isn't exactly great

GA is currently doing 20.8 kts as reported by CruiseMapper - ETA for Nassau is Apr 4th @ 10:00 ... 

• Like 1