IS the "Wi-Fi" a wired option also (Ascent)?

Algoron

9 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Fiber is just now coming to our neighborhood and I have not decided if I want to switch or not.  I get almost published speeds (800Mbps down25Mpbs up) on my current services. 

image.png.ba032a648e70e798c91e96788e4dbf28.png

If I was still working I would upgrade to fiber for the symmetrical 1Gbps service but for my home use this is fine.  I am no longer moving gigabytes of data over the internet any longer.  

I switched to fiber because Spectrum would have congestion issues in the evening. Upload speeds are a lot faster but I don’t really need that. But the killer reason is that fiber costs less than cable internet, or at least it did. Cable might have had to reduce their price since fiber rolled out with a lower price.  I have not checked as I am satisfied with fiber. 

43 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I switched to fiber because Spectrum would have congestion issues in the evening. Upload speeds are a lot faster but I don’t really need that. But the killer reason is that fiber costs less than cable internet, or at least it did. Cable might have had to reduce their price since fiber rolled out with a lower price.  I have not checked as I am satisfied with fiber. 

i understand what you are saying.  When we moved here 7 years ago the Internet offering from our cable provider was 250/20.  They have upgraded to 800/25 no at no additional cost.  

As I mentioned fiber, FiOS, is now coming into our neighborhood and it's only internet service and it's more expensive than what I am paying.  I'm going to hold out until they can provide Internet/Telephone/TV bundles and then do a price comparison.  

As I said, I really don't need the additional speeds but if the price is competitive, then why not 

4 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

i understand what you are saying.  When we moved here 7 years ago the Internet offering from our cable provider was 250/20.  They have upgraded to 800/25 no at no additional cost.  

As I mentioned fiber, FiOS, is now coming into our neighborhood and it's only internet service and it's more expensive than what I am paying.  I'm going to hold out until they can provide Internet/Telephone/TV bundles and then do a price comparison.  

As I said, I really don't need the additional speeds but if the price is competitive, then why not 

People still get television and telephone bundles 😱

18 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I had Fios when I lived in Maryland and it was much better than cable which was Comcast. I dropped the telephone and TV. Streaming only and carried on with that when I moved here. Fios was $49 a month. No contract. If I wanted TV I could have streamed YouTube TV. Fiber here is $49 here too but I am paying $80 for a gigabyte connection. I also have to pay $10 a month for their modem here which I connect my own routers to. With Fios I didn’t have to connect to their modem, 

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I don’t have a bundle but a reason they do the bundles is for sports. 

Ok, I don’t watch any sports anymore , most people I know that are into watching sports  get a sports app to stream 

14 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Fiber is just now coming to our neighborhood and I have not decided if I want to switch or not.  I get almost published speeds (800Mbps down25Mpbs up) on my current services. 

If I was still working I would upgrade to fiber for the symmetrical 1Gbps service but for my home use this is fine.  I am no longer moving gigabytes of data over the internet any longer.  

I get around 985 Up and Down.   It is noticeable as I do a lot of large uploads.  If yours is rock solid I would stay with it.   

When I remodeled our house I installed an ultra-premium underpayment under my hardwood floors... Never occurred to me that it was Mylar coated as a vapor barrier and the Mylar created an RF Block between floors (3 floors).      Not my best decision...     That is the reason I use a nest router system.

16 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Get it, you won’t regret it…the upload makes a huge difference. I have about 800 up and down over WiFi…I haven’t checked Ethernet directly to the gateway.  AT&T Fiber..had it installed Sunday. I too had cable with speeds close to both of yours. 

15 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

People still get television and telephone bundles 😱

Yes,  I like the Premium Movies and also need a 'landline' telephone for international calls.  They are just too expensive over cellular networks so we cannot go cellular only.  My wife calls her family in Japan a couple of times a month.  

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I get around 985 Up and Down.   It is noticeable as I do a lot of large uploads.  If yours is rock solid I would stay with it.   

Those are similar speeds to what I used to get in our last place with FiOS.  

I do not use cloud storage.  I have a 21 TB NAS that I use for all my storage needs so no need for large uploads over the internet. 

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

When I remodeled our house I installed an ultra-premium underpayment under my hardwood floors... Never occurred to me that it was Mylar coated as a vapor barrier and the Mylar created an RF Block between floors (3 floors).      Not my best decision...     That is the reason I use a nest router system.

I had Ethernet home runs done from the utility closet to every room in the house except the three bathrooms.   I have a PoE switch and WAP on each of the two floors and two WAPs in the basement. 

42 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Get it, you won’t regret it…the upload makes a huge difference. I have about 800 up and down over WiFi…I haven’t checked Ethernet directly to the gateway.  AT&T Fiber..had it installed Sunday. I too had cable with speeds close to both of yours. 

As I said, it will depend on the cost.   i no longer have a business or personal need for the additional bandwidth/speeds but if it is more economical, I'll go for it.  

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

For international calls we use Whatapp or FB Messager 

i got rid of the landline when business stop using faxes about 8 years 

I use WhatsApp or FaceTime for international calls. 

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

For international calls we use Whatapp or FB Messager 

i got rid of the landline when business stop using faxes about 8 years 

Iain uses FaceTime with his Sister in Scotland and it works really well since both families are Apple supporters.    I'm sure Droid must have something similar.     We also use WhatsAppp with friends from other countries that don't buy international roaming packages.   Also many of the AirBnB hosts in South America routinely use it for communication. 

12 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Iain uses FaceTime with his Sister in Scotland and it works really well since both families are Apple supporters.    I'm sure Droid must have something similar.     We also use WhatsAppp with friends from other countries that don't buy international roaming packages.   Also many of the AirBnB hosts in South America routinely use it for communication. 

You can also do video calls with FB , there are so many options out there

I believe most people in the EU use Whatapp , even the BBC listed a Whatapp # as a contact number