Some Retreat Questions

WhenIam64

On 3/17/2024 at 8:21 PM, Northern Aurora said:

We received an e-mail on February 14th for our March 28 sailing on the Millennium.  We are in an Aqua Sky Suite.  We are also Zenith level Captain's Club members.

We will be in an Aqua Sky Suite (all the way aft on Deck 6) on Millennium in May.  We would be interested in whether or not you can disembark in Yokohama after checking in on embarkation day. 

32 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We will be in an Aqua Sky Suite (all the way aft on Deck 6) on Millennium in May.  We would be interested in whether or not you can disembark in Yokohama after checking in on embarkation day. 

I will write your question down in my trip notebook.  Prompt me if I forget.

On our March 28th embarkation it appears we will be at the Daikoka Pier instead of the Osanbashi Pier which the Millennium used when we were B2B in 2018.  It appears that the Daikoka pier is a "one off" for that March embarkation.

7 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

I will write your question down in my trip notebook.  Prompt me if I forget.

Thank you.  i will try and remember.  

7 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

On our March 28th embarkation it appears we will be at the Daikoka Pier instead of the Osanbashi Pier which the Millennium used when we were B2B in 2018.  It appears that the Daikoka pier is a "one off" for that March embarkation.

That is unusual.  I wonder what caused the change in piers? 

I think this all varies depending on the ship and the onshore concierge.

Our last trip on Celebrity, in a Penthouse Suite on Constellation, we received both a phone call and an email.  All dining reservation requests (including Luminae at a specified time) were taken care of.  

Our next trip in April is a b2b on Reflection.  First leg in the Penthouse Suite, second in the Reflection Suite.  No phone call, no email - I had to initiate by a call to the Retreat line.  We requested dining reservations for each night at a specific time, and were told that they could not do that - and moved us to another time.  I'm guessing our Butler will be able to change these for us, but bottom line is that our treatment was vastly different this time.

On 3/19/2024 at 3:39 PM, Lois R said:

Is your answer to #2 referring to reserving dinner tables inside Luminae or am I misunderstanding the question. I sail solo and if I show up for dinner say at 6:30, will I have a problem being seated?

Sorry for not being clear.   I was referring to specialty restaurants.   Luminae does not take reservations but you will have no problem being seated no matter when you show up. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

Sorry for not being clear.   I was referring to specialty restaurants.   Luminae does not take reservations but you will have no problem being seated no matter when you show up. 

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.

On 3/20/2024 at 9:37 AM, DaKahuna said:

We boarded several hours ago.  I asked your question, and was told that you can disembark the ship after checking in, but I am not 100% sure that the person throughly understood the question.

21 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

We boarded several hours ago.  I asked your question, and was told that you can disembark the ship after checking in, but I am not 100% sure that the person throughly understood the question.

Thank you very much.  I am hopeful, as are others, that this can actually be done. 

Would be interesting to find out how it works as the possibility of people still doing initial check ins could cause some confusion.  Maybe it's like the passes they give B2B passengers -- just go through security and show your card and go directly to the gangway to reboard. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2024 at 1:43 PM, DaKahuna said:

Thank you very much.  I am hopeful, as are others, that this can actually be done. 

Would be interesting to find out how it works as the possibility of people still doing initial check ins could cause some confusion.  Maybe it's like the passes they give B2B passengers -- just go through security and show your card and go directly to the gangway to reboard. 

We are presently in Yokohama on our turnaround day.  The weather is miserable so we remained on board.  I have now asked your question to the Suite Manager and one of the Retreat concierges.  Both have told me you should be able to get off the ship after checking in.  The Retreat Concierge also confirmed with the Documentation Officer.

On 4/9/2024 at 1:34 AM, Northern Aurora said:

We are presently in Yokohama on our turnaround day.  The weather is miserable so we remained on board.  I have now asked your question to the Suite Manager and one of the Retreat concierges.  Both have told me you should be able to get off the ship after checking in.  The Retreat Concierge also confirmed with the Documentation Officer.

Thank you very much.  I will share that information with folks on our Roll Call. 

How has the ship been so far?  Service? Food?  Entertainment?  I know with a port intensive itinerary you might be tired when you get back to the ship each evening. 

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Thank you very much.  I will share that information with folks on our Roll Call. 

How has the ship been so far?  Service? Food?  Entertainment?  I know with a port intensive itinerary you might be tired when you get back to the ship each evening. 

I was just in Yokohama in March on the Millennium. You can NOT get off after boarding in the morning because of Japanese Immigration.

5 minutes ago, darren42 said:

I was just in Yokohama in March on the Millennium. You can NOT get off after boarding in the morning because of Japanese Immigration.

Thank you for that information. 

Now I am not sure what to say -- I guess we'll have to wait until we get there to find out for sure. 

18 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Our experience has been smooth.  On the March 28 cruise we had miserable weather in Shimizu but made all of the ports.  The prior sailing missed one port due to winds.  Turnaround day the weather was miserable in Yokohama but beautiful yesterday (Shimizu) and today. (Kobe).  

We had a captain change on April 9 as Capt. Theocharis boarded.  Andrea Muegge is the hotel director, and she is highly visible as always.  Retreat concierges are great.  Luminae maitre ‘d is Fernando; we have had him before and he runs a smooth Luminae.  We take full advantage of our Zenith laundry benefit and it has been returning very quickly.

It will be interesting to read as to whether you will be able to leave the ship after boarding.  The suite manager and one of the  Retreat concierges say you can.  While I was talking to the concierge he called the documentation officer who also says you can get off.  

On 3/17/2024 at 7:52 PM, Lois R said:

How far in advance is the email usually sent? I am sailing in a Sky Suite on Eclipse at the end of May. Would any emails be coming sometime next month?

We are sailing in MCSS May 31.  We received our email from shoreside concierge around the beginning of March.  March 2, to be precise.

7 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Our experience has been smooth.  On the March 28 cruise we had miserable weather in Shimizu but made all of the ports.  The prior sailing missed one port due to winds.  Turnaround day the weather was miserable in Yokohama but beautiful yesterday (Shimizu) and today. (Kobe).  

The weather in Japan this time of year is hit or miss from what we remember.  We have been talking about what clothes to bring and I am pretty sure we'll need to prepare for warm as well as cool, but not necessarily cold weather. 

We had a captain change on April 9 as Capt. Theocharis boarded.  

We love Captain Theo  "The voice from above".  One of the few whose daily announcements I appreciated. 

Andrea Muegge is the hotel director, and she is highly visible as always.

If this is the same Andrea that was the Hotel Director on our Panama Canal cruise she is amazing.  Seems to be everywhere and very on top of things.  

Retreat concierge are great.

Do you know if they will be onboard for our cruise as well?  I know the Retreat Concierge's we had on our sailing last year have moved on to other ships. 

Luminae maitre ‘d is Fernando; we have had him before and he runs a smooth Luminae.

Have you asked if you can order from the Blu menu in Luminae?  We had Fernando as our Maitre'd on the Panama  Canal cruise and were not able to order from the Blu Menu on that cruise. 

We take full advantage of our Zenith laundry benefit and it has been returning very quickly.

We are only Elite, do not make Elite plus until after this upcoming cruise.  We do make use of our free bags of laundry and I have pre-purchased dry cleaning to take care of items we do not want to put through the wash and fold service. 

It will be interesting to read as to whether you will be able to leave the ship after boarding.  The suite manager and one of the  Retreat concierges say you can.  While I was talking to the concierge he called the documentation officer who also says you can get off.  

We currently do not have an particular plans to go back ashore after boarding but that may change.  Just wanted to know if the option was available to us. I'd not mind leaving and grabbing a bento or something before sailing 🙂 

Thank you so much for keeping us informed.  We've been so surprised that no one seems to be doing live reviews from Millennium in the last month or so. 

On 4/12/2024 at 12:50 AM, DaKahuna said:

The weather in Japan this time of year is hit or miss from what we remember.  We have been talking about what clothes to bring and I am pretty sure we'll need to prepare for warm as well as cool, but not necessarily cold weather. 

We love Captain Theo  "The voice from above".  One of the few whose daily announcements I appreciated. 

If this is the same Andrea that was the Hotel Director on our Panama Canal cruise she is amazing.  Seems to be everywhere and very on top of things.  

Do you know if they will be onboard for our cruise as well?  I know the Retreat Concierge's we had on our sailing last year have moved on to other ships. 

Have you asked if you can order from the Blu menu in Luminae?  We had Fernando as our Maitre'd on the Panama  Canal cruise and were not able to order from the Blu Menu on that cruise. 

We are only Elite, do not make Elite plus until after this upcoming cruise.  We do make use of our free bags of laundry and I have pre-purchased dry cleaning to take care of items we do not want to put through the wash and fold service. 

We currently do not have an particular plans to go back ashore after boarding but that may change.  Just wanted to know if the option was available to us. I'd not mind leaving and grabbing a bento or something before sailing 🙂 

Thank you so much for keeping us informed.  We've been so surprised that no one seems to be doing live reviews from Millennium in the last month or so. 

So many questions.  I will try my best but my I-pad keyboard has suddenly decided to act up.

I have not observed the Blu menu in Luminae.  They are routinely bringing the MDR to folks.

Hotel Director Andea Muegge has worked for Celebrity for over a decade.  She is originally from a town near Hamburg, Germany.  Possibly the most hands on of the HDs.  I am not aware of any other HDs with the same first name.

At least one of the Retreat Concierges will be onboard until October.  They have been preparing very nice summaries of attractions for each port for the Retreat guests.

We rarely do anything shorter than a B2B, and I always find it interesting as to how the “tone” of each leg can be so different.  Several of the current Retreat Guests need a great amount of handholding, and one person is very angry regarding her suite; suites are full so they cannot move her.  And they also cannot change the height of the bathroom sink in her suite.

One of the Captains Club hosts told me last cruise that we had 600 or so North Americans on board with a similar number of folks from the UK. A significant number from Australia and New Zealand too.  And I am guessing that we have around 600 or so Japanese citizens too.  A number of Japanese families with young children in strollers.

The ship has been tastefully decorated with Sake casks in the Ocean View and Cellarmasters.  Some vases of cherry blossoms (silk).  A scattering of “hello kitty” figurines.  Japanese beer is readily available, and the miso soup in the buffet is delicious.

We overnighted again in Osaka last night, and the same Taiko drummers performed last night at 7 and 9 pm.  They performed last cruise in Osaka too.  Really well received.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Several of the current Retreat Guests need a great amount of handholding, and one person is very angry regarding her suite; suites are full so they cannot move her.  And they also cannot change the height of the bathroom sink in her suite.

Some of the demands of some people. I dont get it!🤔
I mean get a hobby or life....one or the other or both rather than making things difficult for others on stuff they cannot control.

Edited by samplecd02

On 3/19/2024 at 2:59 PM, Northern Aurora said:

Luminae doesn't take reservations.

Probably not in any written rule, but every time in an IC, Luminae has taken our reservation. And specific table we want. No problem. They'll even come get you and take you to your table at appointed time.

So many questions.  I will try my best but my I-pad keyboard has suddenly decided to act up.

Sorry for all the questions but as you may assume I am pretty anxious about this cruise.  It's been 34 years since I was last in Japan.  

One last question - Have they returned to the shared butler for the sky suites or are they still using the Butler Team approach?  

And they also cannot change the height of the bathroom sink in her suite.

I am very surprised that someone would have this expectation.  You would think people would do a little research concerning things that are important to them, as apparently the sink height must be to her, before booking a room.  

Hotel Director Andea Muegge has worked for Celebrity for over a decade.  She is originally from a town near Hamburg, Germany.

Yes, that is her.  She was our Hotel Director on our Panama Canal transit cruise last year.. 

One of the Captains Club hosts told me last cruise that we had 600 or so North Americans on board with a similar number of folks from the UK. A significant number from Australia and New Zealand too.  And I am guessing that we have around 600 or so Japanese citizens too.  A number of Japanese families with young children in strollers.

That sounds like a good mix of passengers.  My DW is happy to hear about the number of Japanese onboard.  We see so very few Japanese on cruises.  

the miso soup in the buffet is delicious

I can't wait to try it.  

We overnighted again in Osaka last night, and the same Taiko drummers performed last night at 7 and 9 pm.  They performed last cruise in Osaka too.  Really well received.

I love the Taiko drummer performances.  We'll have to make sure an attend the 9 PM performance on the overnight.  We have a very long tour, 10 hours, of Kyoto for the first night in Osaka and it's not scheduled to get back to the ship until around 7:30 pm.  So a quick dash to Luminae for dinner then off to the show. 

Thank you so very much for answering my questions and sharing your experience with us. 

3 minutes ago, buncosquad said:

Probably not in any written rule, but every time in an IC, Luminae has taken our reservation. And specific table we want. No problem. They'll even come get you and take you to your table at appointed time.

If you have much experience with Luminae (we hit Zenith level in 2016) than you know that technically neither Luminae nor Blu (Aqua class) take reservations.   But we tell the maitre ‘d our preferred dining time, and they try to accommodate it.

• Like 4

@DaKahuna:  On this B2B the dedicated butlers have not returned.  But the “head butler” is doing a nicer job than the “head butler” we had for 40 nights on the Edge last fall.  Much nicer job.

We find Japan itineraries so different than itineraries in places where local folks are indifferent to cruise ship visits.  Folks in Japan (including shops and restaurants) clearly appreciate the business.  And the friendliness and hospitality of the Japanese people is truly amazing.  We were in Japan in 2018 and my husband has been to Japan several times on business.  Fellow passengers who have not been to this wonderful country are amazed.  

This B2B we have been treated to fireworks, local performances from high school bands and as we left Osaka tonight a local Taiko band (not the group which has performed in the theater) performed on pier. Even local folks waving flags when we either depart or arrive.

Again on this leg we have at least one Japanese tour company on board.  Two tables for their hosts/coordinators on deck 3.  There is no dedicated section on the Oceanview for Japanese cuisine, but there is some on board.  Just have to search.  A number of Japanese beers are stocked.

Even though we have some needy folks in the Retreat Lounge on this leg, the ship has a pleasant feel to it.

1 hour ago, samplecd02 said:

Some of the demands of some people. I dont get it!🤔
I mean get a hobby or life....one or the other or both rather than making things difficult for others on stuff they cannot control.

Every one, and I really mean literally everyone, sitting in the Retreat Lounge, heard the complaint.  She is very upset.  Just hope she can accept the situation.  These concierges have such difficult jobs.  And they cannot move her as the suites are full.  And from what  we have heard the ship is sailing at capacity.  

But I am not sure that an inside cabin would make her happy either.  The height of a bathroom sink is what it is.

35 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

If you have much experience with Luminae (we hit Zenith level in 2016) than you know that technically neither Luminae nor Blu (Aqua class) take reservations.   But we tell the maitre ‘d our preferred dining time, and they try to accommodate it.

Familiar with the policy, which is why I caveated my post.

I sail other lines, too. I'm not a cheerleader for any of them.

@Northern Aurora All of the reports we have read speak highly of how they have enjoyed their Japanese cruise and the cultural experience.  I live there for 10 years, met and married my wife, who is Japanese, while living there.  

We are both looking forward to a change of experience from what we normally have in our Caribbean cruises.  We both have almost stopped cruising because we are tired of the same old thing from each of the ports there.  

• Thanks 1