Some Retreat Questions

WhenIam64

The last time I cruised on Celebrity, there was no Retreat.  So I have a few questions for those of you who are Retreat veterans.

1. Is there a pre-cruise concierge?  Will that person be more likely to contact me via phone or email?

2. Is it best to reserve dining in advance or will there be tables available “the day of” for retreat guests?

3. Can the onboard concierge book you tables or seats with a good view for shows/entertainment in the various venues (the theatre, Eden, etc.) or is it necessary to snag a good spot an hour or more before the entertainment begins?

Thanks for your advice.

I think it all depends on what level suite.  If an upper suite you will either get a call pre cruise from shoreside concierge or a personal email asking many questions.  If in a lower suite you will get an email that asks basic questions such as do you want extra hangars, etc.  

There is no reserved dining in Luminae.  If you are talking about a specialty restaurant shoreside concierge can make reservations for you before the cruise but double check once you get onboard they are made.  We were in a RS and they failed to make half our reservations and when they went to rebook them, they could not give me the times I had originally requested.  

The only time we have had saved seating in the theatre is on chic nights.  The highest suite we have been in is a Royal Suite.  

We are on Beyond now in a Sky Suite and could not find seats in the theatre tonight for the 7:30 pm show.  We also could not seats in the Club or Eden Show a few times.  

The above is my personal experience from being in Sky Suite or Royal Suite.

What type of suite are you booked in.  That will determine what pre cruise contact you will have from the Conciergre.

Luminae does not take reservations, with few exceptions we have never waited more than +/- 5 minutes.

There are no reservations taken for shows, with the exception of a reserved seating area ( not assigned seats) in the Theater on Evening Chic nights.  That area is opened to all guests about 10 minutes before the show starts. 

Thanks for the replies so far.  We will be in an Edge Villa on Beyond. I was hoping that we could avoid having to pre-plan when we had dinner in the various specialty restaurants and could just go with our mood each day for dining.  I think I am hearing that I shouldn’t count on the onboard concierge being able to accommodate that and we should book in advance with the shoreside concierge.  Oh well, I suppose we still can manage to find some way to enjoy our lovely suite and the retreat.  (Please find the ironic humor in that last comment.)

• Like 1

Generally Sky Suites receive an e-mail with questions from the shoreside concierge.   Upper suites get a phone call.

Luminae does not take reservation.  You just show up when you wish to dine.  Rarely there will be a wait and they ask you to go to the Retreat and will call you when your table is ready.

The shows do not have reservations but on Chic night there is reserved seating up until 5-10 minutes before the show.   The butlers will be there to let you into the reserved roped of seating area.

17 minutes ago, WhenIam64 said:

Thanks for the replies so far.  We will be in an Edge Villa on Beyond. I was hoping that we could avoid having to pre-plan when we had dinner in the various specialty restaurants and could just go with our mood each day for dining.  I think I am hearing that I shouldn’t count on the onboard concierge being able to accommodate that and we should book in advance with the shoreside concierge.  Oh well, I suppose we still can manage to find some way to enjoy our lovely suite and the retreat.  (Please find the ironic humor in that last comment.)

In the EV, you will have no problems with reservations at any restaurant you want to dine in.  When shoreside called me, I had a list prepared, she took the requests but also said, you don't need to worry, your butler will take care of everything for you, changes, additional res' etc. and he did.  They will greet you by name as soon as you walk up to be seated and in many other locales as well.  You are in for a heck of a treat!

43 minutes ago, Liao said:
1 hour ago, WhenIam64 said:

In the EV, you will have no problems with reservations at any restaurant you want to dine in.  When shoreside called me, I had a list prepared, she took the requests but also said, you don't need to worry, your butler will take care of everything for you, changes, additional res' etc. and he did.  They will greet you by name as soon as you walk up to be seated and in many other locales as well.  You are in for a heck of a treat!

Now THAT is the comment I was hoping to read!  In the past several years, we have had to forego the joys of a Celebrity suite because we were cruising with children and grandchildren.  My last Celebrity cruise was when the Solstice was a new ship! This will be only our second “adult” cruise in many years.  My prior suite experiences on Celebrity were more like what you are describing, Liam.  Indeed, last summer we cruised in a large suite on Seabourn, an “ultra-luxury” line.  While we had a great time, their expression of high service was not up to the standards we had become accustomed to in Celebrity suites in decades past.  I am relieved to hear that we might experience that again on the Beyond.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Generally Sky Suites receive an e-mail with questions from the shoreside concierge.   Upper suites get a phone call.

Luminae does not take reservation.  You just show up when you wish to dine.  Rarely there will be a wait and they ask you to go to the Retreat and will call you when your table is ready.

The shows do not have reservations but on Chic night there is reserved seating up until 5-10 minutes before the show.   The butlers will be there to let you into the reserved roped of seating area.

How far in advance is the email usually sent? I am sailing in a Sky Suite on Eclipse at the end of May. Would any emails be coming sometime next month?

We were in a RS last month.  Got email, no call. Everything we requested was accurately done.  

You can get “last minute” reservations at specialty restaurants. Depends on venue and, I believe based on experience, your suite level.  Murano might be hard to get reservations with minimal notice.  Others, not so much.  

Eden and the Club are terrible areas for any show.   The Club is the worse.   The sight  lines are very bad unless you are in the front rows.    Eden is almost as bad.   Not many seats to watch the show. It gets to be standing room and depending on where you are sitting people will stand in front of you.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

11 minutes ago, miched said:

Eden and the Club are terrible areas for any show.   The Club is the worse.   The sight  lines are very bad unless you are in the front rows.    Eden is almost as bad.   Not many seats to watch the show. It gets to be standing room and depending on where you are sitting people will stand in front of you.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Good heavens!  I certainly won’t waste time staking out a front row seat if some rude passenger is going to stand in front of me!  What a way to harsh my mellow!

1 minute ago, WhenIam64 said:

Good heavens!  I certainly won’t waste time staking out a front row seat if some rude passenger is going to stand in front of me!  What a way to harsh my mellow!

This happens to the chairs at the bar and the tables at the side of the bar toward the Eden Cafe.  There are also some seats as you enter Eden that people think are good but people will stand in front of you.  Hard to explain but when you enter the area you will understand the areas I am referring to.  

There aren’t many good seats available for the amount of passengers in either venue.  I would guess  50.  75 would be pushing it. Could be wrong but we were basically shut out of both because of the crowd.  We got to both areas at least 30 minutes before showtime and all chairs were filled.  We left as Iwe didn’t want to stand there for 30 minutes waiting for the show.   

Happy cruising.  🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

45 minutes ago, WhenIam64 said:

Thanks for the straight story.  Really helps with our decision-making.

I've been in a Villa a few times. The last time it took a few meals to determine where we wanted to eat - same restaurant each night. I told the restaurant manager of that restaurant, and his reaction was: Sure, what table would you like.  You should be able to get the flexibility you need. As for seats in the theater, the Butlers do reserve seats in the middle on a few nights for Retreat guests. We prefer the far sides in the balcony, where you are sitting extremely close to the stage. 

10 hours ago, Lois R said:

How far in advance is the email usually sent? I am sailing in a Sky Suite on Eclipse at the end of May. Would any emails be coming sometime next month?

We are sailing on the Edge at the end of May and have already received an email, about a week and a half-two weeks ago.  

16 hours ago, Lois R said:

It is usually 3-4 weeks prior.   I'm basing this on what I heard from a SS messenger this week.   You can however contact them early if you wish by emailing SolsticeRetreat@celebrity.com substitute the name of the ship. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

This is just one of several reasons that we will no longer book Edge class.   Many of the seats that are available are also not comfortable at all.

We received phone calls from the Concierge while in a Royal Suite and also in a Celebrity Suite both prior to Covid.  Since Covid we have been in a CS twice and both times were contacted via email, once about 3 weeks out as @Jim_Iain stated and once just a week before.  

Edited by Gracie115

On 3/17/2024 at 1:22 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I have received an email and also a phone call. I have a sky suite on Ascent the end of this month, I got the call 1 month prior to my cruise

On 3/16/2024 at 11:12 PM, WhenIam64 said:

The last time I cruised on Celebrity, there was no Retreat.  So I have a few questions for those of you who are Retreat veterans.

1. Is there a pre-cruise concierge?  Will that person be more likely to contact me via phone or email?

2. Is it best to reserve dining in advance or will there be tables available “the day of” for retreat guests?

3. Can the onboard concierge book you tables or seats with a good view for shows/entertainment in the various venues (the theatre, Eden, etc.) or is it necessary to snag a good spot an hour or more before the entertainment begins?

Thanks for your advice.

Haven't read through the thread and I am sure these questions have been answered but can't hurt to throw in my perspective.   We have been Retreat guests 3 times, most recently in January aboard Apex.   My answers:

1.  I was never contacted by a pre-cruise concierge

2.  Reserve in advance as there likely will not be tables available "the day of"

3.  No.  There is reserved seating for Retreat guests on the Chic Nights but otherwise you are on your own.   30 minutes ahead will get you a good seat in the Theatre.   Eden is more casual and actually a tougher place to get a seat for entertainment as many guests are already there enjoying cocktails. 

4 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

Haven't read through the thread and I am sure these questions have been answered but can't hurt to throw in my perspective.   We have been Retreat guests 3 times, most recently in January aboard Apex.   My answers:

1.  I was never contacted by a pre-cruise concierge

2.  Reserve in advance as there likely will not be tables available "the day of"

3.  No.  There is reserved seating for Retreat guests on the Chic Nights but otherwise you are on your own.   30 minutes ahead will get you a good seat in the Theatre.   Eden is more casual and actually a tougher place to get a seat for entertainment as many guests are already there enjoying cocktails. 

Is your answer to #2 referring to reserving dinner tables inside Luminae or am I misunderstanding the question. I sail solo and if I show up for dinner say at 6:30, will I have a problem being seated?

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Is your answer to #2 referring to reserving dinner tables inside Luminae or am I misunderstanding the question. I sail solo and if I show up for dinner say at 6:30, will I have a problem being seated?

Luminae doesn't take reservations.

48 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Luminae doesn't take reservations.

Thank you for that info😃

• Like 1