Where best to stay night before Brooklyn Cruise Yard departure

Posted (edited)

Cunard has several pre-cruise hotels that they book for you in Manhattan, They then transport you to the ship the morning of the cruise. However, their prices are far above the "street rate" for these hotels. And, it seems that it might be more economical to just stay in a hotel near the cruise port.

The "Cunard hotels" are NY Hilton Midtown, NY Marriott Marquis, Knickerbocker.

We will be taking the Acela down from Boston the day before the cruise, and the train stop is Penn Station/Moynihan. We could simply take a cab or Uber from there to a hotel near the cruise terminal.

What do you advise?

Edited by BostonBoy2

4 hours ago, BostonBoy2 said:

However, their prices are far above the "street rate" for these hotels.

Rack rate. And yes-- the prices the cruise line shows you include transportation and are often multiples of what you can do on your own for hotels and transport. 

The "Cunard hotels" are NY Hilton Midtown, NY Marriott Marquis, Knickerbocker.

I hit submit by accident so thats why there are multiple posts. The Hilton and Marquis are both very average, mediocre hotels. The Knickerbocker is better. I wouldn't fall over myself to stay at any of these three-- especially at a premium from the cruise line. 

We will be taking the Acela down from Boston the day before the cruise, and the train stop is Penn Station/Moynihan. We could simply take a cab or Uber from there to a hotel near the cruise terminal.

What do you advise?

Lots of options, too many to list-- what is your budget if you removed the relatively small costs of Ubers from Penn Station to hotel and hotel to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal?

There are several reasonably priced lower Manhattan hotels an easy walk( or short taxi ride) to the ferry across to right next to the cruise terminal - convenient to several restaurants and places of interest in the Wall Street area - which is among the safest neighborhoods in the city. There are few comparable options on the Brooklyn side.

I'd stay in whatever Midtown hotel you like best that fits your budget and enjoy Manhattan that afternoon and evening.

Take a taxi or Uber to the port the next day for your ship.  No need to stay in Brooklyn unless you want to stay in Brooklyn, and there are lots of reasons that might be the case.

1 hour ago, BostonBoy2 said:

I guess the problem is that I can't figure out why anyone would want to stay in a Cunard hotel and pay their premium!

Purely because they can't or don't want to make a decision for themselves.

Way back in the day (like late 90s/early 2000s) Cunard used to have a longstanding relationship with the Waldorf=Astoria that I think went back to the 1940s (which also included The Savoy in London). You could actually get a decent deal through them. 

But that hasn't been the case in a long time. Always better deal to book direct yourself. 

17 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

There are several reasonably priced lower Manhattan hotels an easy walk( or short taxi ride) to the ferry across to right next to the cruise terminal - convenient to several restaurants and places of interest in the Wall Street area - which is among the safest neighborhoods in the city. There are few comparable options on the Brooklyn side.

We are staying at the Holiday inn Express on Water St in the Wall Street area.  Only two blocks from Pier 11 where we will take the ferry over to cruise terminal.  Amount of luggage you have may limit use of the ferry.

55 minutes ago, Pilgrim70 said:

We are staying at the Holiday inn Express on Water St in the Wall Street area.  Only two blocks from Pier 11 where we will take the ferry over to cruise terminal.  Amount of luggage you have may limit use of the ferry.

Very.convenient -  you might consider dinner, or at least drinks, at Harry’s , One Hanover Square (in India House) or Frances Tavern on Pearl Street (where George Washington had farewell dinner with his officers - both great old places.

Pilgrim70....Did some looking around and I thought it seemed like a good hotel also. Thinking of staying there before our Cunard voyage. Please let us know how it was. Been to Times Square area many times.

Thinking of taking the ferry also. Just wondering how reliable ferry would be if there was a freak snow storm or a strike.

12 hours ago, oceansandseas said:

Pilgrim70....Did some looking around and I thought it seemed like a good hotel also. Thinking of staying there before our Cunard voyage. Please let us know how it was. Been to Times Square area many times.

Thinking of taking the ferry also. Just wondering how reliable ferry would be if there was a freak snow storm or a strike.

No less reliable than that train ride the day before.  What time of year is this planned for?

13 hours ago, oceansandseas said:

Not sure if I would really worry-- you have a ton of other options if there is something off with the ferry. Just hop in an Uber. 

Nitemare...Queen Mary 2 departs on March 16, 2025. Maybe 15th. I will check before booking hotel. lol

Wondered about hotel price as there is a St. Patrick's Day parade and hotels will be sold out and maybe raised prices.

I think it would be fun to arrive at Red Hook by ferry. Just wondering now if the winter weather might be a factor.

princeton123211...I know that uber is a reliable service and a good solution, but I have never used an uber. Do not have phone and even if I did, probably would not know how to use it. (Senior that is not into technology) If I was not using the ferry, I would probably reserve a car service..or use a taxi. 

On 3/18/2024 at 10:29 PM, oceansandseas said:

Strike? No close to no chance. 

Weather, with the exception of the Far Rockaway pier this year there hasn't been many closings for weather. With the current warm winters, there hasn't been ice in the East River for several winters and both Pier 11 and Atlantic Basin are on the river or upper bay where there is rarely icing. 
Get the NYC Ferry app for your phone, updated schedules and service advisories are posted there. With the coming schedule change at the end of March they are planning to add additional trips on the South Brooklyn route when a cruise ship is calling in Brooklyn. 

St Patrick's Parade is mostly locals, not as many tourists or visiting participants as something like the Thanksgiving Parade.  I wouldn't expect it to have much affect on hotel prices