Seeking advice on Boston/Québec Cruise Direction

Posted (edited)

I'm looking at two options:

Option 1) Sept 27 - Oct 4 from Québec to Boston

Option 2) Oct 4 - 11 from Boston to Québec

I'm based in US. Are there any special points or things to consider when deciding between these two?
The way I understand, Option 1 I'll get to see fall foliage "in reverse", starting with more vibrant foliage back to towards more green, and also while cruising towards warmer temperatures, with Option 2 it's cruising toward cooler weather but also getting to see a more drastic foliage color change during the cruise. 

Edited by BestCruiseFox

• BestCruiseFox changed the title to Seeking advice on Boston/Québec Cruise Direction
Posted (edited)

we were on a 9/13 cruise from QC to NYC last year.   The temps on shore were really comfortable, but when the ship was moving, it was pretty cold.   Hardly anyone on the ship's decks.    

I think the St. Lawrence Seaway and the Canadian Maritimes are a really beautiful part of N. America at any time, I think color change might add some to the experience, but not really a decision point for me... I remember seeing lots of evergreens!  (However, we had no stops in Maine, or Mass we only had Canadian ports.)

For me, this would come down to pre or post cruise plans and flight costs.  I like to stay a couple nights pre cruise in the departure city rather than post cruise.  In that way, you allow some cushion for lost luggage and delayed flights.  Both Boston and QC would be great cities to explore.

All else equal, I probably would go for the earlier option just for slightly warmer temps.

Edited by CCJack

1 hour ago, BestCruiseFox said:

The way I understand, Option 1 I'll get to see fall foliage "in reverse", starting with more vibrant foliage back to towards more green, and also while cruising towards warmer temperatures, with Option 2 it's cruising toward cooler weather but also getting to see a more drastic foliage color change during the cruise. 

Peak foliage in Boston is usually early Oct but varies year to year. And it isn't linear-- QC to Boston you sail North up the St Lawrence before you turn South to Boston and same thing in reverse the other way. 

Also the area we are talking about, Quebec City to Boston, isn't so large that temperatures are going to be wildly different. As I'm writing this it's currently 46 degrees in Boston and its 40 degrees in Quebec City. Official average temps are about 10 degrees for October between the two. 

Personally I would do Boston to QC because I love QC and would want to spend a little time there at the end-- arriving early in the morning the day you disembark, you could see a lot of the city with 1 or 2 nights in a hotel. 

1 hour ago, BestCruiseFox said:

Option 2 it's cruising toward cooler weather but also getting to see a more drastic foliage color change during the cruise. 

The time of peak foliage in any given location changes year to year-- historically both options put you square in the middle of it for that area. I don't think you can say one is better than the other until we get closer and know for sure. 

We did Quebec City to New York (port stop in Boston) in late Sept this past year. The port in Quebec City puts you right below the historic old city and Citadel, the Boston port is in a huge industrial area - UGLY and expensive to get out of and see the sights that aren't 'the Freedom Trail.'  I'd pick QC any day for your preferred hotel stay dates. Technically if your fairly able-bodied (it's quite hilly) you can walk off the ship with your luggage (if you aren't a take-it-all person) and up to your studio apartment or heritage hotel right by the Citadel and walk everywhere in the old town. Foliage was very late this past season and really no difference between the two areas in that respect.

21 hours ago, canadjineh said:

We did Quebec City to New York (port stop in Boston) in late Sept this past year. The port in Quebec City puts you right below the historic old city and Citadel, the Boston port is in a huge industrial area - UGLY and expensive to get out of and see the sights that aren't 'the Freedom Trail.'  I'd pick QC any day for your preferred hotel stay dates. Technically if your fairly able-bodied (it's quite hilly) you can walk off the ship with your luggage (if you aren't a take-it-all person) and up to your studio apartment or heritage hotel right by the Citadel and walk everywhere in the old town. Foliage was very late this past season and really no difference between the two areas in that respect.

It's literally less than a 10 minute walk from the Boston Cruise Port to the waterfront, with lots of attractions like restaurants (Yankee Lobster) or Harpoon Brewery, and 5 minutes more to tons of shops, siteseeing boats, etc.

And the Silver Line of the MBTA is RIGHT AT the cruisedock.  Less than $3/ride, gets you to Faneuil Hall or the Freedom Trail or Fenway Park, etc.

On 3/21/2024 at 11:08 AM, Nitemare said:

It's literally less than a 10 minute walk from the Boston Cruise Port to the waterfront, with lots of attractions like restaurants (Yankee Lobster) or Harpoon Brewery, and 5 minutes more to tons of shops, siteseeing boats, etc.

And the Silver Line of the MBTA is RIGHT AT the cruisedock.  Less than $3/ride, gets you to Faneuil Hall or the Freedom Trail or Fenway Park, etc.

And normally an Uber from the cruise terminal to any touristy part of Boston will also be relatively inexpensive.