Onion Rings on Anthem

We leave Sunday for our first cruise in a long time. Yesterday my husband commented on how much he was looking forward to snacking on onion rings whenever he wanted. FIFTEEN YEARS ago, we went on a Royal Caribbean cruise and he loved getting a plate of onion rings to snack on after returning from an excursion. I guess he forgot how long ago it was and that yes, things can change. Anyone know if his dreams are going to come true (and they have onion rings at Windjammer on Anthem)? 

• Haha 1

I have never seen onion rings in the WJ.  At Johnny Rockets, you have to pay a cover charge and honestly, they are frozen mushy ones.  On ships with Playmakers they make them fresh and are among the best I've ever had.

JR onion rings are shaped and formed, not real onion rings. The only good thing is that you can get them alla cart for about $2.49.  But they close about 8:30 these days.

3 hours ago, CruisingInFebruary said:

We leave Sunday for our first cruise in a long time. Yesterday my husband commented on how much he was looking forward to snacking on onion rings whenever he wanted. FIFTEEN YEARS ago, we went on a Royal Caribbean cruise and he loved getting a plate of onion rings to snack on after returning from an excursion. I guess he forgot how long ago it was and that yes, things can change. Anyone know if his dreams are going to come true (and they have onion rings at Windjammer on Anthem)? 

WJ will have lots of free french fries. Not onion rings. 

I'm looking forward to mariner who has play makers onion ring tower. Not free. Those days seem gone. 

Like everything else Royal Caribbean, there appears to be a lot of inconsistency.

I have had onion rings at Johnny Rockets on two different ships this year (not Anthem). Both times they were excellent, crispy real onion rings. I look forward to having them again. 

I have also had onion rings at Playmakers. While they were good, I slightly preferred the Johnny Rockets version. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

JR on Anthem is a la carte pricing, not a cover charge.

I should know that as we've been on Anthem twice.  But, that said, the onion rings aren't worth it.  

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

WJ will have lots of free french fries. Not onion rings. 

I'm looking forward to mariner who has play makers onion ring tower. Not free. Those days seem gone. 

And when we had the onion ring tower on playmakers, the center was undercooked and the batter was still runny. Yes, we could have sent them back, but we were too full after the fries and burgers to want to bother.

And lately the Windjammer seems to be closing at around 2:30, so we often don't have much choice of a snack after going onshore.  Check the hours on a current sailing of the ship you are going on.