Why is there no live TV reception in Tenerife?

Why do all the live satellite channels say "Sorry, we are currently experiencing signal issues with this channel", when many apartment  blocks have dishes at lower levels than Ionas satellite receivers?

Is it a genuine technical problem, or is it a beaurocratic issue?

Posted (edited)

We were told it was to do with the satellite position and where the ship was docked behind a mountain. On one of the days it was working then later on stopped and mentioned about the position etc.

Edited by carlanthony24

1 hour ago, carlanthony24 said:

We were told it was to do with the satellite position and where the ship was docked behind a mountain. On one of the days it was working then later on stopped and mentioned about the position etc.

I think that was the case pre Starlink but now with Starlink there should be no problem. Looking at the Starlink coverage map Tenerife should not be a problem.

17 minutes ago, david63 said:

I think that was the case pre Starlink but now with Starlink there should be no problem. Looking at the Starlink coverage map Tenerife should not be a problem.

Not sure that satellite TV uses Starlink, but I doubt it is due to the ships position, there is a direct line to the south without any land in the way, and that is where all the TV satellites are positioned.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Not sure that satellite TV uses Starlink, but I doubt it is due to the ships position, there is a direct line to the south without any land in the way, and that is where all the TV satellites are positioned.

Starlink doesn’t carry broadcast TV channels, you can use it to stream the likes of Netflix though. 

Perhaps  the ships dish is pointing to a satellite which broadcasts U.K. based channels and the dish would need realignment and calibration to use a different one. 

Edited by Snow Hill

45 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Starlink doesn’t carry broadcast TV channels, you can use it to stream the likes of Netflix though. 

Perhaps  the ships dish is pointing to a satellite which broadcasts U.K. based channels and the dish would need realignment and calibration to use a different one. 

AFAIK all the TV  satellites are in orbit over the tropics, so whichever satellite Iona uses it will be pointed south.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

AFAIK all the TV  satellites are in orbit over the tropics, so whichever satellite Iona uses it will be pointed south.

Yes, most satellites used for broadcasting stay in approximately in the same place "Geostationary" to achieve this they orbit the equator in the Clark belt at the same speed as the earth turns. The direction that the receiving antenna has to point depends on where on the equator the required satellite is stationed. from the northern hemisphere its southerly and northerly from the southern hemisphere. Another point is that some transmitting antennas have the coverage "footprint" restricted, this increases the power and reduces the spill into territories where the there maybe no agreement from a rights holder.

4 hours ago, Bill Y said:

Yes, most satellites used for broadcasting stay in approximately in the same place "Geostationary" to achieve this they orbit the equator in the Clark belt at the same speed as the earth turns. The direction that the receiving antenna has to point depends on where on the equator the required satellite is stationed. from the northern hemisphere its southerly and northerly from the southern hemisphere. Another point is that some transmitting antennas have the coverage "footprint" restricted, this increases the power and reduces the spill into territories where the there maybe no agreement from a rights holder.

Agreed but footprint restriction would not apply to only one Canary island, I doubt it could be made so specific. I think it must be some restriction applied by some sort of legislation, by either the satellite operator or the island, or a combination of both. But if it entails the cruise line paying a higher fee, then I doubt P&O will tell us the truth.

We were in Tenerife when I think it was the World Cup Final. We'd deliberately not booked an excursion expecting it to be televised and thinking they'd do that in a large space so thought there would be a good atmosphere watching with others onboard.  

They were very apologetic when it was impossible for them to get a signal so we, along with quite a lot of others, got off the ship hoping to find a bar showing the action.   We trouped from one bar to another - one bar owner trying for ages to link with some satellite station or another - without success.  Clearly it was in the interests of any bar to show it as they would have an influx of customers buying drinks so I'm sure it did prove impossible for them.  We were told Rugby wasn't followed there so no local demand I guess. 

We cleared off to the Lido!