Tampa/Ybor City

We have cruised out Tampa several times, but have never stayed at a hotel the night prior.

We booked a hotel in Ybor City, but, know nothing about the area.

Any suggestions on restaurants ?  

My wife and I have visited Ybor City several times. And had lunch at Columbia (one of the inventors of the Cuban sandwich). And the cigar museum.  It's a lively place in the day and into the evening.

The TECO streetcar is free, and runs every 15-20 minutes through the area and into downtown. If you see something you like get off, visit, or walk a ways to get on a subsequent streetcar.

I haven't been on the streets in the later evening, but it looks like a younger persons' gathering place. Many bars.  For better or worse.

Posted (edited)

I always hear people here mention Columbia but not their sister restaurant. Also owned by Columbia.....try Casa Santo Stefano...excellent and located a stones throw from Columbia.

Edited by bajathree

Posted (edited)

my 2 cents ... no change given

1) IMO/IME YBOR is kinda dead during the day ... it is a weekend night hot spot ....

2) As a haven of the Cuban culture of Tampa, Columbia is a STRONG attraction. Their sister place is very good Sicilian but to pass up Columbia if you've never been is a crime <reservation HIGHLY recommended if going for dinner> ..... {I live close by and visit regularly and agree very good - but for a first time visit?}

3) unless passing to go to BERN's which is 'destination dining' ... consistently in top 10 steak houses in the world .... probably the largest restaurant wine list in the world <the current - 2024 - version on line is 194 pages! We bought a hard copy back in the 80's, it was over 6 inches thick .. a wine text book>.... and don't forget to make your reservation for the sep' dining room for dessert  https://bernssteakhouse.com/

Edited by Capt_BJ

On 3/21/2024 at 9:22 PM, GTO-Girl said:

I was told the area is okay in the daytime but to be very careful at night.

we elected not to stay there…

On 3/22/2024 at 9:06 AM, Pyrate13 said:

Agree with GTO, we do not go there at night either.

On 3/22/2024 at 12:14 PM, Cienfuegos said:

My wife and I have visited Ybor City several times. And had lunch at Columbia (one of the inventors of the Cuban sandwich). And the cigar museum.  It's a lively place in the day and into the evening.

The TECO streetcar is free, and runs every 15-20 minutes through the area and into downtown. If you see something you like get off, visit, or walk a ways to get on a subsequent streetcar.

I haven't been on the streets in the later evening, but it looks like a younger persons' gathering place. Many bars.  For better or worse.

I too am looking at booking a hotel in Ybor City for a 2-night mid-week stay in early April 2025. I’m not a nighthawk by any stretch of the imagination, and am always back to the hotel before dark no matter what city I’m staying in. This looks like it would be a good part of the Tampa to stay in for a wider selection of culture and dining options. Do you believe this is a safe and viable option?

IMG_4014.jpeg

10 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I too am looking at booking a hotel in Ybor City for a 2-night mid-week stay in early April 2025. I’m not a nighthawk by any stretch of the imagination, and am always back to the hotel before dark no matter what city I’m staying in. This looks like it would be a good part of the Tampa to stay in for a wider selection of culture and dining options. Do you believe this is a safe and viable option?

There is a Hampton Inn by Hilton and Homewood Suites by Hilton in Ybor City; there may be a third hotel that is non-branded. Ybor is definitely a nightlife destination but during midweek it will be rather quiet. It's full of bars, clubs and restaurants. Columbia Restaurant is at the far eastern end of the multi-block area. I stay there several times per year for the nightlife. Yes, it is a safe and viable option.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

IMG_4014.jpeg

You might want to look at staying in the Water Street/Channelside district if you have any concerns. You will have the best of both worlds as you will be right along the river...walking distance to the port and can still jump on the free trolley if you want to jump over to Ybor....quick 10 minute trolley ride. There honestly would be more to do during the day in the Water St/Channelside district.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, hurricane0226 said:

we stayed in a holiday inn select there, they had a park and cruise package, and not to far from an outback steakhouse where we had dinner the night before getting on the pride.

Sounds like may have stayed in South Tampa or Westshore area as there are no outbacks in either the Channelside or Water St area.