Wifi for solo passenger

IUSteve

On 3/25/2024 at 6:15 AM, Guest Snaxmuppet said:

I have just got myself a little travel router... that would do it - about $80. Cheaper than the 4 device wifi on board and you have it for your next travels.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B4ZSR2PX

How does this work? Do you add a sim card or?  Can you use this on sea days?

8 hours ago, anngi said:

How does this work? Do you add a sim card or?  Can you use this on sea days?

My friend brought a router on a previous sailing. The router is logged in and then it becomes the ‘home’, you then have to connect to the name you assigned to your router. All will need to be physically close to the router, so you do not just connect and roam around. So I guess fine if you want to connect multiple devices in one spot for a period of time.

With a router you would log the router into the ship wifi with your account. Your devices would log into the router. The router splits the signal between the devices logged into it. Multiple devices might be able to read email at the same time, but I doubt they would be streaming movies at the same time. The one I have from Amazon was about $35 and works fine.

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

With a router you would log the router into the ship wifi with your account. Your devices would log into the router. The router splits the signal between the devices logged into it. Multiple devices might be able to read email at the same time, but I doubt they would be streaming movies at the same time. The one I have from Amazon was about $35 and works fine.

Thank you for the info. Could you tell me the name and model? I have a portable wifi that required a gigabit card.  Do you think that would work at sea? 

On 3/24/2024 at 2:31 PM, tuputts said:

I have found that the quality of the wifi is really poor most of the time it’s unable to stream because it’s too weak.  I just use it for emails.

Have you sailed since Princess converted to Starlink? Most everyone who has sailed since that point have raved about how good it is...certainly better than what it used to be!

• Like 1