Disembarking from Valiant Lady

Actuality251

We disembarked in San Juan it took 20 mins from room to curb and this included customs.  We did take our own luggage with us which did speed up the process.  I would say 1/2 of the passengers did the same.   I was pleased with how smooth it went with their “reservation” time window to disembark,

• Like 1

Since there are so many variables, I would go with a later vs earlier time.  Are you talking about a paid pickup or a friend?

and where are you headed?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’m arranging a limo for transportation to FLL Airport. Disembarkation begins 6 AM. The flight is noon.what time should  I tell him to pick me up?

Edited by Actuality251

Oh my, that's cutting it close.  I've disembarked VV in Miami 6 times last year and each experience was different.  

Assuming you will be carrying your bags off the ship AND waiting in the area closest to the gateway, you may be about to get off and through customs 9:30-10, Maybe??  I always did both of these things and each time was different.

The 6 AM disembarkation never happened on any of my sailings.  First off was usually 7-7:30 was more typical.  Also, the Que of passengers waiting to disembark on my last (fully booked) cruise was wrapped around the entire ship and I stood in line for an hour, so plan on getting in this line very early.

I would seriously consider changing your flight to later.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Actuality251 said:

I’m arranging a limo for transportation to FLL Airport. Disembarkation begins 6 AM. The flight is noon.what time should  I tell him to pick me up?

The ship arrives at 6am but disembarkation doesn’t start until 7-8am. Once you start moving off the ship it only takes about half hour though.

• Like 2

When I sailed on SL last July, I had to be at FLL for a scheduled 11:40 flight. I booked my transport for 9:00. We chose an 8:00 disembarkation and walked right off. We were at the curb by 8:15.

• Like 2

There are huge variables.  First, disembarkation does not start at 6.  It starts at about 7 assuming that Customs clears the ship promptly.  7 is for people who are carrying off their luggage (these people can leave at any time.). If you are placing your luggage outside your room the night before you will select a disembarkation time on the app.  From there....assuming you show up at the check out line at your appointed time, it can be as quick as 15 minutes from entering the line to being out of the terminal or as long as a couple hours...and I am not kidding.  We have never encountered a delay in Customs or baggage claim.  Our delays have been in getting off the ship and down to the baggage claim/Customs area.

FLL to cruise terminal took us about 45 minutes; we hit one small area of traffic delay.  That was a weekend, so your traffic experience may vary.  If I had a noon flight out of FLL, I'd select 7am self disembarkation and pick up outside the terminal at 8.  You may be waiting a bit for your ride, but you'll be on your way as fast as reasonably possible.  The problem is that you might encounter a long line of people wanting to leave early.

• Like 2

I got to FLL just a little after 9. Our driver showed up early so we were on the way very quickly. Fortunately, there was no traffic. However, had we been going to FLL the day we got on the ship, it would have been interesting since 95 North was closed.

Of course, at 8:00, there really wasn't anyone rushing to get off. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Of course, at 8:00, there really wasn't anyone rushing to get off. 

You are more likely to hit the people eager to get off at  7 or 7:30.  People tend to fit into one of two groups--either off as soon as possible or stay on almost as long as permitted (have a nice breakfast, etc.). And that obviously depends on your travel plans.

• Like 2

Based on what others have done, we are just doing Uber, so no worry about the correct pickup time, or getting off way before the driver shows up.

We have an 11:40 flght from FLL and plan to leave at 8am and call uber once we are in the customs line.

35 minutes ago, garycarla said:

Based on what others have done, we are just doing Uber, so no worry about the correct pickup time, or getting off way before the driver shows up.

We have an 11:40 flght from FLL and plan to leave at 8am and call uber once we are in the customs line.

Thank you!

We are exiting our July cruise in Athens. It says we arrive at 6:30 am. Is it reasonable to think we could exit the ship immediately and catch a 9:15 flight from Athens? We are having a terrible time finding a different flight from Athens to London. When I called the Cruise Ship they only said they can note we need an early disembarkment. What do experienced cruisers think, Is this an impossible task to think we can make a 9:15 flight? THANKS!

4 minutes ago, ricklisanye said:

We are exiting our July cruise in Athens. It says we arrive at 6:30 am. Is it reasonable to think we could exit the ship immediately and catch a 9:15 flight from Athens? We are having a terrible time finding a different flight from Athens to London. When I called the Cruise Ship they only said they can note we need an early disembarkment. What do experienced cruisers think, Is this an impossible task to think we can make a 9:15 flight? THANKS!

The fact that the ship arrives by 6:30 does not mean you can disembark at 6:30.  Disembarkation normally starts between 7 and 7:30 after the port authorities have cleared the ship.  It is about an hour by car from the cruise terminal to the airport.  I think you are cutting it way too close.  Spend a day in Athens, get a hotel for the night (maybe near the airport) and leave the next day.....or take one of the "suboptimal" flights.

VV is different than other cruise lines in that they don't give a firm "DO NOT book flights before 12:00" the way some other cruise lines do, but this is way too tight for me,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ricklisanye said:

the bigger question - what happens if you miss the flight?  Are you ready for those options?   (my odds are 8:1 against you making it)

3 hours ago, ricklisanye said:

We are exiting our July cruise in Athens. It says we arrive at 6:30 am. Is it reasonable to think we could exit the ship immediately and catch a 9:15 flight from Athens? We are having a terrible time finding a different flight from Athens to London. When I called the Cruise Ship they only said they can note we need an early disembarkation. What do experienced cruisers think, Is this an impossible task to think we can make a 9:15 flight? THANKS!

Take the risk. In the worst case, you miss that flight and leave the next day, which is what others are encouraging you to do, anyway. You might also consider seeing how often that 9:15 flight takes off on schedule. Maybe it's perpetually late leaving.

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Take the risk. In the worst case, you miss that flight and leave the next day, which is what others are encouraging you to do, anyway. You might also consider seeing how often that 9:15 flight takes off on schedule. Maybe it's perpetually late leaving.

Above statement is true.

BUT - what is the cost for a last minute flight home?  Airlines may or may not give you a break, but usually they sell a seat at the CURRENT price.  and if sold out - tough.  and of course a last minute hotel booking.

13 hours ago, garycarla said:

Above statement is true.

BUT - what is the cost for a last minute flight home?  Airlines may or may not give you a break, but usually they sell a seat at the CURRENT price.  and if sold out - tough.  and of course a last minute hotel booking.

Hmm, that has never happened to us in the past. I've missed a couple of flights over the years, and all the airline did was put me on the next flight, usually the following day, with no cost whatsoever. I've already paid for the flight, after all, it's not like I just showed up at the airport with no reservation and said "how much is it to fly home"?

4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Hmm, that has never happened to us in the past. I've missed a couple of flights over the years, and all the airline did was put me on the next flight, usually the following day, with no cost whatsoever. I've already paid for the flight, after all, it's not like I just showed up at the airport with no reservation and said "how much is it to fly home"?

You were lucky....I've seen everything from placing people on the next flight to a $50 change fee to "too bad, so sad" and having to purchase a new flight.  It depends on the airline, maybe the country you are in, and possibly the agent you are dealing with.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

You were lucky....I've seen everything from placing people on the next flight to a $50 change fee to "too bad, so sad" and having to purchase a new flight.  It depends on the airline, maybe the country you are in, and possibly the agent you are dealing with.

YMMV, for sure. We've had everything from a missed connection (same airline) to weather delays to a COVID issue, most of the time the airline took appropriate action. We did have to pay $50 to rebook an international trip, but that was in business class so $50 was no biggie. It's always worth talking with the airline and asking "what if." I usually don't like to schedule flights too close to disembarkation, but you might be surprised to see how often I build in the extra time, only to be stuck at the airport for hours and I'm thinking "you know, I should have taken that earlier flight after all." But then there's Murphy's Law, so....

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

YMMV, for sure. We've had everything from a missed connection (same airline) to weather delays to a COVID issue, most of the time the airline took appropriate action. We did have to pay $50 to rebook an international trip, but that was in business class so $50 was no biggie. It's always worth talking with the airline and asking "what if." I usually don't like to schedule flights too close to disembarkation, but you might be surprised to see how often I build in the extra time, only to be stuck at the airport for hours and I'm thinking "you know, I should have taken that earlier flight after all." But then there's Murphy's Law, so....

A couple of times I've gotten to the airport early enough to catch the flight before....again, talk to the person at the desk and I've had them move me up to that earlier flight.  Only good for them--flight not full and that opened a seat on the later flight should someone need it.

YMMV

For sure.

The airline is not obligate to get you on the next flight at all. You missed it.

Next flight could be full, or ask you to pay current fare.

Sometimes it works out - but not always

• Like 1