Live from the Joy 3/23/24: 60+ people missed the ship due to severe weather in Miami

4 hours ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

Ever had bad weather cause you to miss a connecting flight?  Even the airlines won't wait for their own passengers.

I have seen where they will often delay the last flight of a day for late arriving connecting passengers. (Can't do this if crew would time out though.)

Also have been on earlier flights during the day when the plane will wait for connecting passengers that have already landed.

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

Excuse the nit-picking here but "It's a direct flight"...I think you meant non-stop.  Direct flights can have stops but you just don't get off the plane.

Direct flights definitely can have change of equipment (get off one plane and walk to another).  The only thing that makes a flight a "Direct Flight" is common flight number.

13 hours ago, IAcruising said:

It's called "sail away" for a reason, man!  😄 It's a thing.

I would have no problem waiting for awhile. I guess the party would just last longer. But how long do you wait, and for what number of passengers, when no one knows if or when they will arrive?

Sure, if it's not known when the passengers will arrive of course you don't wait. But in this case supposedly there were passengers in the terminal.

"how long do you wait" - not so long that you are late to the next port.  not so long that you need to burn excessive amounts of fuel to get to next port.

9 hours ago, TRLD said:

Of course no one said that it was not the case either. Ships have itineraries planned pretty tightly and can absorb some delays. Any delay, if it can be made up means higher speeds and higher costs, or it means late arrival.

Not all itineraries are that tight.  Have you ever looked at tracking for a cruise you were on?  It's not uncommon to see ships travelling in circles to kill time, or, slowing down to a crawl or near standstill.  As I write above, I'm OK with leaving the pier to maintain schedule and to avoid excessive costs.  But leaving late doesn't automatically mean either.    

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

If they delay a ship, and it gets to the port on time, a lot of money was spent on fuel.

Not necessarily.  See what I wrote above.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

You are correct...non-stop flight.  There are direct flights that CAN have a stopover.

The most horrible ”direct flight” that I know of is from Paris CDG to Papeete PPT Tahiti. It is actually a flight from CDG to LAX, refueling in LAX with all passengers out of the plane meaning each and every pax needs to go through immigration in LAX and have ESTA or visa if they are non-US citizens and then back to the plane for the LAX-PPT. For non-US citizens it is a complete horror story 🤯 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

The most horrible ”direct flight” that I know of is from Paris CDG to Papeete PPT Tahiti. It is actually a flight from CDG to LAX, refueling in LAX with all passengers out of the plane meaning each and every pax needs to go through immigration in LAX and have ESTA or visa if they are non-US citizens and then back to the plane for the LAX-PPT. For non-US citizens it is a complete horror story 🤯 

I think CDG in general is probably one of the worst airports I've flown in or out of.

I've been pick pocketed there.  I suffered through "rude" locals who cut in front of me in the check in line (all the while cursing me in French when I politely showed them the end of the line).

Security rifled through my luggage, throwing half of it on the floor for me to pick up after they were finished.

CDG is just a dreadful airport.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

But you end up in Tahiti!  

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

CDG is just a dreadful airport.

Agreed.  Back in the day I'd find an excuse to see a customer in someplace like Brussels, just to avoid CDG when ultimately going into France. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

Sure, if it's not known when the passengers will arrive of course you don't wait. But in this case supposedly there were passengers in the terminal.

"how long do you wait" - not so long that you are late to the next port.  not so long that you need to burn excessive amounts of fuel to get to next port.

Not all itineraries are that tight.  Have you ever looked at tracking for a cruise you were on?  It's not uncommon to see ships travelling in circles to kill time, or, slowing down to a crawl or near standstill.  As I write above, I'm OK with leaving the pier to maintain schedule and to avoid excessive costs.  But leaving late doesn't automatically mean either.    

Not necessarily.  See what I wrote above.

Not all are but this one's first port was not nearby and usually the ship is running pretty quickly to get to Roatan on the eastern Caribbean route as its first stop. 

We will never know all of the this that influenced the Captain to make the decision on how long to wait. Itinerary, safety in exiting port, port directions, CBP submission cutoff, etc.

All we can do is debate bad cruiseline vs good cruiseline with absolutely no way to really evaluate the decision because we do not have the real specifics in this case.

Pretty sure that any cruiseline would not submit their manifest and leave before they had to without a good reason to do so.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Eric from San Diego said:

The reason people fly in the day of the cruise is because they have a thing known as a "job".  You might have heard of it.  Also known as employment.

Thank you so much. I was unaware. 😏

Here's a few ideas: leave Friday night after work or take a cruise that leaves on Sunday (there are 6 of them just in Miami this weekend), or maybe suck it up and take an unpaid day off. If that stretches the budget too much, maybe think twice about a cruise.

It's not rocket science to figure out how to get in a day early.

Edited by IAcruising
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, TRLD said:

All we can do is debate bad cruiseline vs good cruiseline with absolutely no way to really evaluate the decision because we do not have the real specifics in this case.

Actually, my comments here had nothing to do with bad cruise line or good cruise line.  My comments were directed to a few specific people,who's opinions I generally respect, asking for clarity on an opinion they posted.  My comments really had little to do with the specifics of this situation which quite frankly I don't care about.

11 hours ago, caribill said:

Was on a different cruise line in a different port.

Bad weather led to plane arrival delays.

Scheduled to sail at 4 PM, delayed until 10 PM for the delayed passengers,

Was only ship at that port that day. Certainly check-in staff and porters had left as scheduled.

So ship's personnel helped with the luggage and check-in completed after boarding.

NCL could have done the same for this cruise.

As you say different cruise, different itinerary, different set of facts driving the Captains decision on how long to wait.

Pretty sure he was not sitting there trying to figure out how to annoy the largest number of passengers.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 5:26 AM, European_CruiseGirl said:

As I haven’t seen a thread about this yet on CC: just to report the situation that occurred yesterday in Miami.

On ”the other site” (which we cannot name here) 

Hmmmm I didn’t know there was another site….. Now “inquiring minds” want to know…..

3 hours ago, TRLD said:

As you say different cruise, different itinerary, different set of facts driving the Captains decision on how long to wait.

Pretty sure he was not sitting there trying to figure out how to annoy the largest number of passengers.

I'm saying not all ships are required to depart the embarkation port at the scheduled time and that the end of shift for contracted porters and check-in personnel does not always mean late arriving passengers cannot board.

3 hours ago, caribill said:

I'm saying not all ships are required to depart the embarkation port at the scheduled time and that the end of shift for contracted porters and check-in personnel does not always mean late arriving passengers cannot board.

the ports in the US have union longshoremen. In those ports which include Miami, all luggage and all cargo loaded on ship must be via longshoremen. Ship employees including contract personnel are not allowed to touch any of it, until after it has been placed on board ship.

The only other alternative would be for the passengers to carry it on themselves.

As far as the other shoreside personnel, that would also require approval of the port and would need to cover security, checkin employees, etc.

Most likely the Captain determined how long he could stay, then submitted the manifest based upon that time. Once the manifest was submitted all else did not matter.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Caligirl33 said:

Hmmmm I didn’t know there was another site….. Now “inquiring minds” want to know…..

It’s the one where you get automatic notifications that ”It’s your friend xxx’s birthday today” and ”2 years ago this day you posted this and that”. On that site you can find groups for almost all big cruiselines individual cruises (the are usually categorized first by cruiseline, then ship and finally sail date). These groups are usually very active with sometimes several hundred members per sailing.

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 1