Live-ish from Apex 3/23/24 to 3/30/24

Day 4. Today was St Maarten. We were thinking about doing the 7:30am stretch class, but we slept in. Quick trip up to the Oceanview Cafe instead. We both ordered egg white omelettes (very good) and coffee and went back to the room to eat on the balcony-one of the things my wife loves to do. Relaxing, hearing the waves against the ship. Day started out cloudy, but great for two cheeseheads from WI.

With our reservations tomorrow at Le Petite Chef confirmed, we decided to fill a laundry bag (we’re Elite members (mostly earned via RCCL), so why not take advantage of the perks.

We scheduled the America’s Cup Sailing Regatta. We had done this excursion twice before and really enjoyed it, even though my wife had encountered some motion sickness issues. This time, there was very little wind, and a person on the other yacht we were “racing against” had a medical issue. So we never had a race. On the way back we were told that we would be getting a refund. We had a great crew and captain, and didn’t expect anything. But appreciate it!

Dinner in Luminae was great! Crab cakes and rigatoni with pepperoni for me, ahi tuna and sea bass for my wife. All were excellent!

The show in the theater was Josephine Lee, an illusionist. Very good! Still trying to figure out how she did some of the things she did. Nightcap at Eden finished the day.

• Like 6

Day 5, St Thomas. Been here, done that. Breakfast in Luminae. Found a new favorite-Eggs in Purgatory. REALLY GOOD! Highly recommend. Did a little shopping in port. Picked up a t-shirt (wife didn’t apply quite enough sunscreen the previous day-of course it was my fault 😉). Had a massage at noon. Was a bit more firm than I expected but that’s on me for not speaking up. But I feel great after it! 

Quick lunch in Luminae (back to the Cobb Salad for me, shrimp and noodles for the wife), then up to the Retreat Deck for sun and “..toes in the water, @ss in the sand…” (Zac Brown fans out there? 😉). Watched the Icon of the Seas departing. That ship is massive!

Tonight is Le Petite Chef. Will let you know how it is later.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Sounds like you’re both having a wonderful holiday! I’m contemplating doing an E class sailing but want to avoid Beyond due to the noise issues…have you heard anything on Apex? We can’t do retreat but need an actual balcony so looking for a SV. The entertainment on the E class ships seems to be much better than on the M and S class..🤔

Anyway, enjoy the remaining days and thanks so much for taking time from your vacation to entertain the rest of us! 🥂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Sounds like you’re both having a wonderful holiday! I’m contemplating doing an E class sailing but want to avoid Beyond due to the noise issues…have you heard anything on Apex? We can’t do retreat but need an actual balcony so looking for a SV. The entertainment on the E class ships seems to be much better than on the M and S class..🤔

Anyway, enjoy the remaining days and thanks so much for taking time from your vacation to entertain the rest of us! 🥂 

We haven’t had any ship noise issues. We’re in a Magic Carpet suite, and actually had the Magic Carpet pass by when we were in our room for the first time in 3 cruises. It was after 9am when it went by. Entertainment has been great. Going to see Rockumentary tonight. Will review that later.

• Like 2

Leading up to a cruise I love reading everything on the boards, especially about the ship we’re sailing on - both good and bad. Really gets me excited for the next cruise. Hopefully I’m giving a relatively unbiased perspective of what we’re experiencing. Again, we’ve been on quite a few cruises and in general know what to expect. Any questions or comments are welcome.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, BadgerFBFan2 said:

Leading up to a cruise I love reading everything on the boards, especially about the ship we’re sailing on - both good and bad. Really gets me excited for the next cruise. Hopefully I’m giving a relatively unbiased perspective of what we’re experiencing. Again, we’ve been on quite a few cruises and in general know what to expect. Any questions or comments are welcome.

You’re giving us a great overview! Rockumentary will be great fun(if you like music!), we wished it would be even longer. Agree about your experience with the massage, I hate feeling like I got beat up afterwards, so I preface my experience by telling her not to be so tough on me!

• Like 1

enjoying your trip report!

We disembarked on the 23rd as you were boarding.

Sounds like they cleaned up the damage from the storms on the night of the 22nd.

There were broken chairs on the Retreat Sundeck and loungers in the main pool.

Glad things are going smoothly.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jmdlv1 said:

Sounds like they cleaned up the damage from the storms on the night of the 22nd.

Wow! Didn’t know that had happened. Hope you had a great trip despite the storm inbound.

So we arrived at Le Petite Chef at 5:30pm. Took 10 minutes for a waiter to stop by, another 10 minutes for drinks to arrive. First course arrived 40 minutes after we arrived. Unfortunately nobody asked if we’d like another cocktail 20 minutes after that so wife decided to go down to the martini bar and get our own drinks. Many tables with multiple people. Just us two, and we seemed to be the last served for each course.

The concept is pretty cool from a technical standpoint. Projectors in the ceiling shine down on the white tables with high resolution graphics. The story of a small chef preparing food. I won’t give away the plot, but very cool. 

The food we thought was good to excellent. Started with a potato leek soup, thick, creamy, and flavorful. Next was a cod loin in butternut citrus purée. Third course was a beef in pastry crust, somewhat similar to a beef Wellington with a ring of mushroom purée and burgundy sauce within the ring. Dessert was raspberry mousse with a chocolate base. Delicious!

As mentioned the food was the star. Unfortunately the service, also part of a dining experience, was not great for us. Wife watched another table of two near us order and receive 5 drinks without a waiter asking us if we wanted something. She always does a slow burn on these types of things, and I can’t blame her.

The show tonight was Rockumentary, a trip through the big music events from the 60’s (think Filmore East, Woodstock) through the late 70’s and early 80’s. Someone had said this show was not to be missed, and they were right. Theater was packed and the music and vocals were great!

Tomorrow is Puerta Plata, Dominican Republic and Damajagua Waterfalls and Buggy Adventure. We received a note from the shore excursion desk that this excursion is strenuous. Wife and I are somewhat fit, so hopefully we don’t die on this adventure. At least we took the travel insurance in case anything happens. 🤣

Ship is rocking and rolling pretty good tonight, so I think I’ll turn in and let the sea rock me to sleep 💤 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jmdlv1 said:

10 hours ago, granger said:

They have trying to repair damage done to two rooms on deck 9.  Large fans have been running day and night.  New carpet was laid today.

Wow. Didn’t realize that the storm Apex came through was that severe. Hopefully a little smoother tomorrow on the way home.

Posted (edited)

BadgerFBFan2,

I love your term “slow burn” when talking about your wife’s feelings concerning drink service, or should I say, non-drink service.  I would have done the same as your wife if I wanted something...get it myself!🫥 Plus, getting up and walking feels good, as dinner can take quite a long time!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

I thought the food courses at Petit Chef were matched to the chef's video.. ..Sorry service was so inattentive..esp when the gratuity is added to your dinner charge.

We have not seen  Rockumentary,  but hope to.if still on the ship wgen we sail. Fillmore East was every weekend..way back! We would  probably enjoy a trip back to the 60s.

Our plans for Puerta Plata are not very strenuous..esp in the heat. We hope to shop, get cigars for Sal..gifts for our grands, have a few drinks and get photos of the birds and botanicals at the port 

Looking forward to your adventure!

Well I did say live-ish. Yesterday was Puerta Plata, Dominican Republic. Ship didn’t arrive until 11am, so it was a breakfast in Luminae (new favorite Eggs in Purgatory for us both). Then a quick walk on the treadmill while my wife did some weightlifting. Back to the room to get ready for the Damajagua Waterfalls and Buggy Adventure. But first a mad dash to find a Christmas ornament. It’s something that we’ve done on our travels. Each new place we visit, we get an ornament, and each Christmas we play “..remember where we got this one..”. Found one, and wife picked up some of the perfume she wears. Then onto the bus to take us to our excursion. The first part was the Buggy portion (Polaris Razor ATV). Two to a vehicle, with some vehicles holding 4 (families). Lots of fun. Went out as a group with guides positioned front, middle, and back. Lots of turns and twists, traversed several streams. Midway through they stopped to allow drivers to switch. Wife was kind enough to let me drive the entire time.

Next we hiked up the mountain to the falls. Was a great cardio workout. We were outfitted with life jackets and helmets. Again there were guides at the front and back as well as the “paparazzi” who took everyone’s picture at various points, with the option to purchase at the end (we didn’t). After reaching the top, you come to various points where you can jump into the water (varies in height from 10-20 feet), slide down natural rock slides, or take stairs or ladders to get back into the water. Proud to say this old man jumped from every spot he could. It was funny listening to the reactions from the other people as each person hit the water. Ohhhh…ooooo…yay! I’d say you need to at least be somewhat fit to do this excursion. We said before the trip that we need to do these things while we can. No broken bones or twisted ankles, and we’re still alive. 😎

Dinner in Luminae was great as always. French onion soup, pigs feet carpaccio, and a lobster dish for me, and my wife had scallops. Didn’t see the show last night.

Today is at sea. Not much to report today, late afternoon flight back to MKE tomorrow. Renting a car at the airport and plan to drive down to Miami and South Beach (rather than sit in the airport all day).

If I find something worthwhile to add, I will. Otherwise let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for following along on our “next adventure”.

• Like 4

Great review of Puerta Plata.. We are past the " adventure" stage..glad you are doing it now!  

Pigs feet carpaccio..what was that like?

Safe travels home!

Safe travels home! We are also in the Milwaukee area. Good weather so hope it continues for your arrival. Glad you enjoyed your cruise. We haven’t been on an E class ship yet, but will be in the fall. Looking forward to it 

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Great review of Puerta Plata.. We are past the " adventure" stage..glad you are doing it now!  

Pigs feet carpaccio..what was that like?

Safe travels home!

Pigs feet carpaccio was interesting. A bit more of a subtle flavor profile than I expected, but delicious.

1 hour ago, Purplsmurf said:

Safe travels home! We are also in the Milwaukee area. Good weather so hope it continues for your arrival. Glad you enjoyed your cruise. We haven’t been on an E class ship yet, but will be in the fall. Looking forward to it 

We have loved the E class ships (Edge and Apex so far). We’re on the Silhouette July 2025, Iceland cruise. Wife’s bucket list. I’ll probably love it just like Alaska (which I was luke warm to and turned into a favorite). Back to Brew City tomorrow night. 

1 hour ago, BadgerFBFan2 said:

We have loved the E class ships (Edge and Apex so far). We’re on the Silhouette July 2025, Iceland cruise. Wife’s bucket list. I’ll probably love it just like Alaska (which I was luke warm to and turned into a favorite). Back to Brew City tomorrow night. 

We are doing the Iceland cruise on Silhouette in June. I also agree with Alaska. Thought it would be a one and done, but we loved it and will definitely go again. Our current booked E class ship is Ascent. Safe travels home. Getting ready to watch the Brewers opening day!

• Like 1

Ok, said unless there is something to post about, that would be it. Then we went to the show tonight. Crystallize. WOW 🤩. From my perspective, the BEST production I’ve seen at sea. Visually stunning, the music was excellent, acrobatics were amazing, and the vocals were spot on. This coming from a guy who never wanted to go to the shows. This show should not be missed!

IMG_3617.jpeg

IMG_3613.jpeg

IMG_3615.jpeg

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, CruisinRoxy said:

Yes totally agree with the Crystallize show!  You wonder how they do all that on a Stage on a Ship at Sea!!  Such talent! 

looks awesome!  hope it's still on APEX  when we sail...