Queen Anne Entertainment

babs135

Cunard have just announced that one of the shows for the Anne's maiden season will be the west end play 'Pride and Prejudice - sort of'.   Any idea how this is going to work alongside fixed dining times?  I'm assuming that the performers will have to shorten the runtime?

Although I do enjoy fixed dining it seems a shame if it is going to impact on such entertainment. 

23 minutes ago, babs135 said:

Cunard have just announced that one of the shows for the Anne's maiden season will be the west end play 'Pride and Prejudice - sort of'.   Any idea how this is going to work alongside fixed dining times?  I'm assuming that the performers will have to shorten the runtime?

Although I do enjoy fixed dining it seems a shame if it is going to impact on such entertainment. 

All the plays I have seen on Cunard ships have been shortened to between an hour to an hour and 20 minutes maximum.

7 minutes ago, TowandaUK said:

We too have had the email. The announcement of Pride and Prejudice is followed by the words (sort of). I suggest it will be an extremely shortened version. 

I thought the ‘sort of’ was in the title of the show. 😀

I do wish as well as sending us the info, they would send us a few picture of the actual interiors. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TowandaUK said:

We too have had the email. The announcement of Pride and Prejudice is followed by the words (sort of). I suggest it will be an extremely shortened version. 

I’ve seen P&P(sort of) in Newcastle a while ago. It’s a hilarious romp|spoof of the original, considerably shortened and defo worth a watch if you get a chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I thought the ‘sort of’ was in the title of the show. 😀

Thank you - of course it is. That will teach me not to rush a post! 🤣

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ralphhycat said:

I’ve seen P&P(sort of) in Newcastle a while ago. It’s a hilarious romp|spoof of the original, considerably shortened and defo worth a watch if you get a chance.

I hope Cunard make it very clear that it’s not a straight play, otherwise I foresee a lot of confusion and a lot of complaints from Jane Austen aficionados!

The show is going on tour across the UK from September, presented by Cunard.

https://prideandprejudicesortof.com

Edited by gumshoe958

4 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

It might even be shorter!

Even the show Top Hat that was heavily promoted at first, is only 45 minutes long.

That's the standard running time for most performances/shows.

Perhaps it varies by ship. Last year we saw Top Hat on the QE. It ran a little over an hour. The longest play we saw was Romeo and Juliet, performed by members of RADA on the QM2.

It's great that Cunard can get permission to produce shows such as Top Hat (which we have seen) and now this P&P show but what a shame that they have to be cut to fit round dining times. I don't know that there is an answer other than to virtually do away with fixed times but I can't see that happening any time soon.

Just a thought: Would a 'tinkering' of dining times on the night these shows were showing work? Perhaps just the one show starting at about 9o'clock. Obviously it would have to be performed 2 or 3 nights to accommodate all who wanted to see the show.

Or maybe it's too radical an idea and we will just have to accept a cut down version.

1 hour ago, babs135 said:

It's great that Cunard can get permission to produce shows such as Top Hat (which we have seen) and now this P&P show but what a shame that they have to be cut to fit round dining times. I don't know that there is an answer other than to virtually do away with fixed times but I can't see that happening any time soon.

Just a thought: Would a 'tinkering' of dining times on the night these shows were showing work? Perhaps just the one show starting at about 9o'clock. Obviously it would have to be performed 2 or 3 nights to accommodate all who wanted to see the show.

Or maybe it's too radical an idea and we will just have to accept a cut down version.

Well, considering my favorite version runs 6 hours, it would definitely need multiple nights!

12 hours ago, babs135 said:

Cerainly I thought Top Hat benefited from being cut. Nobody goes and sees it for its plot, which is fatuous, but the music, lyrics, dancing, sets, atmosphere, all of which were intact. I think many of us would rather stick with dining as it is and a shortened version. I certainly don’t think I’m the only one for whom dining is the main event of the night and the show merely enjoyable (sometimes) add ons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Cerainly I thought Top Hat benefited from being cut. Nobody goes and sees it for its plot, which is fatuous, but the music, lyrics, dancing, sets, atmosphere, all of which were intact. I think many of us would rather stick with dining as it is and a shortened version. I certainly don’t think I’m the only one for whom dining is the main event of the night and the show merely enjoyable (sometimes) add ons.

Having seen the original Top Hat (and all the Fred & Gingers) MANY times, I have to say the trimming was well done. I did notice that they added songs from other movies, including one from a Judy Garland musical. So if they played fast and loose with Irving Berlin, I wonder what they will do with Jane Austen???

• Like 1