VIKING RIVER CRUISE ~Lyon to Avignon help

We know the Chateauneuf de Papa Excursion is offered; however, we have heard mixed reviews.  We don't want to waste our time or money so I'm wondering should we look into using Viator to set up an excursion.  We really enjoy Gigondas the best.

1 hour ago, fraziermurray said:

We know the Chateauneuf de Papa Excursion is offered; however, we have heard mixed reviews.  We don't want to waste our time or money so I'm wondering should we look into using Viator to set up an excursion.  We really enjoy Gigondas the best.

Welcome to posting on Cruise Critic!

CC has one forum for all river cruise PORTS, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/340-river-cruise-ports/

Viator is a broker that takes most of the profit from tour providers -- you might try to find the tour source and book directly!

Good luck with finding a solution.

• Like 2

Our cruise offers a CDP wine excursion - however, have heard mixed reviews.  We don't want to waste the little time or money that we have so should we be looking at another guide/operator/tour, etc...Someone mentioned Viator.  We love Gigondas, CDP, CDR's and some Whites.  Anyone that has taken this tour or others, please advise - TY

11 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Welcome to posting on Cruise Critic!

CC has one forum for all river cruise PORTS, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/340-river-cruise-ports/

Viator is a broker that takes most of the profit from tour providers -- you might try to find the tour source and book directly!

Good luck with finding a solution.

I read that Viator charges a 20% commission.  I can certainly understand why a provider would want Viator's massive online presence (and to charge a higher fee to cover that commission).  

Yes, I took this tour last year, albeit in opposite direction - please read my detailed review, link below. See Day 3 for details of the CdP excursion. As per my ending -'Not recommended'.

On the other hand, the included excursion to Beaujolais was excellent, everything the expensive optional CdP excursion was not.

PS; You don't say when you are doing this cruise, the cruise destinations and excursions can change, also can be different in the opposite direction. I also did the cruise in 2015 from Lyon>Avignon and most excursions were different then. However the wording on the Viking website blurb for the CdN tasting is the same for 2025 but of course we don't know if the winery visited will be the same.

If you want do do it yourself, the town of Chateauneuf du Pape  is about 18 kilometres from Avignon, so about 25-30 mins by car.

You could arrange drop-off & pick-up from the car park there. Walk up hill and you come to Rue Joseph Ducos; there are several winery outlets there. And continue uphill to the top to  find the ruined Chateauneuf du Pape itself; short walk.

Any questions, I am pleased to answer but I'm off tomorrow on a Viking cruise and won't be back here till I return