Questions about the Ruins of Pompeii shore excursion

Does anyone have a review of the RCCL Ruins of Pompeii excursion?  We will be cruising on the Oasis of the Seas and this excursion sounds interesting.  TIA.

We've done this before and it worked out great...one of the few ship booked excursions we've done. It also included a stop at a farm house and demo of mozzarella cheese making.

Posted (edited)

I've been fascinated by Pompeii ever since I was a child and read about it in National Geographic.  If I were 2 1/2 hours away, I'd 100% make the drive. 

As for cheese, I already know how to make that in my own kitchen.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We've done this before and it worked out great...one of the few ship booked excursions we've done. It also included a stop at a farm house and demo of mozzarella cheese making.

Interested in the Ruins, stop at a farm house and cheese making - not so much. 🤔

On 3/28/2024 at 11:34 AM, Another_Critic said:

I will be staying in Rome in the fall pre-cruise and was thinking of driving to Pompeii (2.5 hours each way).  So, I'd be interested in people's opinions.

Instructions in Italy forum to take high speed train down to Sorento(?), then local train on different platform to Pompeii.   Works quite well when we tried it.  No drive needed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2024 at 1:34 PM, Another_Critic said:

I will be staying in Rome in the fall pre-cruise and was thinking of driving to Pompeii (2.5 hours each way).  So, I'd be interested in people's opinions.

Train to Naples, switch to the Circumvesuviano.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did it on Celebrity last May. It was a mistake booking thru X. Why? Because your stuck with a huge group, and the pace can be really slow. I told myself that if we ever go back, I'd show up on my own and pay at the entrance. They give you head phones and you can do the entire excursion on your own. I highly recommend this! You'll be able to go a lot faster and do other things the rest of the day. Trust me on this, we had a really, really slow group and guide!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2