Konichiwa! Japan pre pre cruise on Explorer

We made it to Japan but not without travel glitches.  We left home at 4 am for a 7 am flight to SFO.  Of course, it was late.  Two hours delayed which meant we wouldn’t make our flight from SFO to Haneda.  United rebooked us to Narita but when we got to the lounge, I realized that we would miss that flight and all flights leaving today,  Fortunately, the agent in the lounge was a sweetheart and quickly rebooked us through Houston with a wonderful 1.5 hour layover in the Polaris Lounge.  The 14+flight to Narita was not a picnic in the sky but we were grateful to be winging our way to the far east after fearing delay after delay.  

We managed to wiz through immigration and customs and we were on the Orange limousine bus to our Hotel in an hour and 15 minutes from exiting the plane.  

Japan is extremely efficient and everything was very easy to navigate.  Word to the wise:  get the “visit Japan” QR code for each of your traveling party.  We had to show it at immigration and at customs.  I had a screenshot on my phone and that worked well but we each needed our own code.  

We are hitting the wall now after being in transit for 24 hours.  I hope to report on the cruise but this entry will be about our land adventures in Japan.

• Like 5

We did this same trip last November but we flew Atlanta to Toronto, then to Narita. Since our first flight was 6:30am we left Woodstock at 3am, made it to the airport in 42 minutes which is unheard of.

Anyway, enjoy the adventure, a great trip. BTW, if you are at the Hilton Shinjuku there is a nice 24 hour grocery about one block away if you want some snacks, drinks for the room.

We also made it to Japan today🇯🇵! Not quite the journey Forgap had, but we began with one glitch—a major traffic jam at 4:30 am on I85 going to GSP. Made it to our 6:30 flight with minutes to spare. United flight from ORD to HND was ontime. Immigration very crowded. We each had our own QR codes. No problem at Customs. The Hotel Okura welcomed us with typical Japanese graciousness. Now to figure out how to turn off the lights in our room 😊

• Like 4

2 hours ago, briar14 said:

The Hotel Okura welcomed us with typical Japanese graciousness. Now to figure out how to turn off the lights in our room 😊

Booked this cruise for next year and considering the Okura. Would love your review of the hotel and it’s location. 

• Like 1

Konnichiwa!!   So happy to know that you are there, @briar14 and @forgap !  I am looking forward to your travels and wish you a peaceful sleep and a great time in Tokyo.  Definitely with you in spirit on this one 🥰

• Like 1

We had easy travel day AUS LAX on delta and short walk to Singapore airlines LAX to NRT.  No QR codes but quickly through immigration and customs.  Driver took us straight to Conrad in under an hour.  Didn’t pick up Suica cards so need to figure that out this morning.  First six trips planned.  See everyone on the first!

• Like 2

To those that got their QR Codes in advance, How long in advance of flying can you apply for the Code? How difficult to get the code, and how costly? 

Mrlevin, How did you get through immigration and customs without QR codes in advance?

Registration is on the website.  Easy and free.  I logged in again to change our arrival flight number while in transit as we were arriving on a different flight and a different airport.  Also, I did the whole bit of registering our over 39 day supply of meds which were all Ozk to bring into Japan.  But, no one asked about medicine and no one looked.  

• Like 2

A couple people on the plane complained they couldn’t get a good enough picture of their passport to work. I only tried once and after that I just hand entered the data. Taking our picture was easier than I expected. 

I don’t know how much before your trip to work it. I just gave myself enough time to be able bad attempts. 

Forgap - Good for you for remembering you needed to update QR info, I am not sure I would think of that. 

I also couldn’t snap a decent photo of my passport soni just entered the info.  Where you get to immigration they photograph you and take your fingerprints.  

13 hours ago, Avidtravler said:

To those that got their QR Codes in advance, How long in advance of flying can you apply for the Code? How difficult to get the code, and how costly? 

Mrlevin, How did you get through immigration and customs without QR codes in advance?

When they took pictures and fingerprints in immigration line they handed us forms to fill in; had them done by time we were in front of line.  In baggage claim they had customs form to fill in while waiting for luggage.  No delays, we were done rather quickly. 

Posted (edited)

Our first full day of touring which included the Imperial Palace garden, the Tsukiji fish market, a Sushi class, and finally the Meiji Jingu Shrine.

The Tsukiji  market is not the site of the iconic tuna auction.  That takes place in a new venue outside of Tokyo.  The old marker has shops and restaurants in tiny alleys.  It was so crowded that it was difficult to navigate with long lines of people waiting for spots in the many restaurants.  Our guide even mentioned that after COVID, the government needs to address over tourism.  

Lunch at the sushi restaurant was a blast.  We made our own sushi after an expert demonstration then ate huge amounts of sushi, tempura, and shabu shabu.  All topped off with macha mochi. 
IMG_0050.thumb.jpeg.7da2a7e657f56577d5deadf57ed36b43.jpeg

IMG_0082.thumb.jpeg.01414149c8e2e35a970da1a35ca734ae.jpeg

Most  of my pictures are in my camera.  I failed to bring my card reader so I’ll post better pics after I make it to the camera store. 

We were so exhausted after the day, we fell into bed for a nap, then skipped dinner in favor of a drink at the rooftop bar and then egg salad sandwiches and a strawberry and cream sandwich from a 7-11.  Don’t roll your eyes, now….they were delicious!  
IMG_0085.thumb.jpeg.b06dd1e3d50f38dbd2c7f95e535d54ad.jpeg

IMG_0087.thumb.jpeg.0273aa601de643031be129d17790a8e3.jpeg

Edited by forgap
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)

Our second full day of touring took us first to a calligraphy class in a more residential section of Tokyo.  Our teachers were incredibly welcoming, organized, and supportive as we tried to master this meditative practice.  
IMG_0101.thumb.jpeg.6d45ab19c97d48ea5f9fadd964a32630.jpeg

There is definitely a learning curve and after going through about ten pieces of paper we were given our final gold rimmed board.  This was my result:  the character for friendship.  

IMG_0102.thumb.jpeg.6b96fdcad2e9808df21b764313c4bc77.jpeg

We then traveled to Asakusa and the Sensoji temple.  The mass of humanity was daunting.  

IMG_0118.thumb.jpeg.1d66c3bf83d296f93d409067816025f1.jpeg

IMG_0115.thumb.jpeg.a91855153099358d1ec5ba3742bb7676.jpeg

Many had rented kimono and were memorializing the day with individual and family photographs.  
IMG_0126.thumb.jpeg.7fc6d37021762bde3e18fc991d3b4ae8.jpeg

We had free time for lunch and shopping.  Most of the shops sold tourist stuff and the restaurants had long cues of waiting customers.  We passed and wandered to a less crowded back street and stumbled upon a vegan restaurant with, most importantly, AC and beer.  

IMG_0131.thumb.jpeg.e176b09225542aa614a75e8811191743.jpeg

It hit 80 degrees in Tokyo yesterday after a prolonged, cold spring.  Sakura is just blooming and should be in full bloom next week for the pre cruise portion of our trip.  
IMG_0127.thumb.jpeg.c14a5becd05bcd4f10b8cfebbd332385.jpeg

The next stop was the Ueno area and the national museum.  It was Sunday and warm so we saw people at leisure, pursuing their hobbies.  

The museum is very special with a stunning collection and beautiful gardens.  It was late in the day, so we were already tired so I went directly to the netsuke collection as my father collected them when we lived in Japan in the 60’s.  I was intrigued with the collection of more modern netsukes done in the latter part of the 20th century which deviated from the more traditional symbols from folk tales carved in wood, bone, or ivoryIMG_0146.thumb.jpeg.8c010f5451d3df88cf1c88793e099a5d.jpeg 

Edited by forgap
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, forgap said:

Our second full day of touring took us first to a calligraphy class in a more residential section of Tokyo.  Our teachers were incredibly welcoming, organized, and supportive as we tried to master this meditative practice.  
IMG_0101.thumb.jpeg.6d45ab19c97d48ea5f9fadd964a32630.jpeg

There is definitely a learning curve and after going through about ten pieces of paper we were given our final gold rimmed board.  This was my result:  the character for friendship.  

IMG_0102.thumb.jpeg.6b96fdcad2e9808df21b764313c4bc77.jpeg

We then traveled to Asakusa and the Sensoji temple.  The mass of humanity was daunting.  

IMG_0118.thumb.jpeg.1d66c3bf83d296f93d409067816025f1.jpeg

IMG_0115.thumb.jpeg.a91855153099358d1ec5ba3742bb7676.jpeg

Many had rented kimono and were memorializing the day with individual and family photographs.  
IMG_0126.thumb.jpeg.7fc6d37021762bde3e18fc991d3b4ae8.jpeg

We had free time for lunch and shopping.  Most of the shops sold tourist stuff and the restaurants had long cues of waiting customers.  We passed and wandered to a less crowded back street and stumbled upon a vegan restaurant with, most importantly, AC and beer.  

IMG_0131.thumb.jpeg.e176b09225542aa614a75e8811191743.jpeg

It hit 80 degrees in Tokyo yesterday after a prolonged, cold spring.  Sakura is just blooming and should be in full bloom next week for the pre cruise portion of our trip.  
IMG_0127.thumb.jpeg.c14a5becd05bcd4f10b8cfebbd332385.jpeg

The next stop was the Ueno area and the national museum.  It was Sunday and warm so we saw people at leisure, pursuing their hobbies.  

IMG_0160.mov 37.14 MB · 0 downloads

The museum is very special with a stunning collection and beautiful gardens.  It was late in the day, so we were already tired so I went directly to the netsuke collection as my father collected them when we lived in Japan in the 60’s.  I was intrigued with the collection of more modern netsukes done in the latter part of the 20th century which deviated from the more traditional symbols from folk tales carved in wood, bone, or ivoryIMG_0146.thumb.jpeg.8c010f5451d3df88cf1c88793e099a5d.jpeg 

I also have several netsuke from when we lived in Japan in late 60s.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, silkismom said:

I also have several netsuke from when we lived in Japan in late 60s.

We were there from 1965 to 1969, stationed at Yokosuka. Our netsuke collection is pretty extensive as my father haunted antique shops in the back alleys of Yokohama and the surrounding towns.  I should probably get them appraised.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Doesn't look like Explorer is going to make it to Tokyo on schedule this morning or may be following Riviera into Yokohama instead.  Not good signs.

Or, just waiting for Riviera to get out of the way so they can speed into Tokyo.

edited to add:  Never mind, Explorer is not scheduled to arrive until 0800.  Should be tight for our 1200 boarding.

Edited by mrlevin

You mentioned seeing many women that had rented kimonos to memorialize the day. Do you have any further information on what they were memorializing for the day? I also saw many women, more than I expected, in kimonos on Sunday.

21 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

You mentioned seeing many women that had rented kimonos to memorialize the day. Do you have any further information on what they were memorializing for the day? I also saw many women, more than I expected, in kimonos on Sunday.

We were there last year and were told that those who dress up in kimonos have free admission to various sites. We saw lots of them too.

DSC04094.JPG

DSC04104.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mj_holiday said:

I’m not sure, but suspect it is because it is Sakura season. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, forgap said:

I’m not sure, but suspect it is because it is Sakura season. 

Almost certainly right. Cherry Blossom Season is always an excuse for dressing up in Kimono.

Edited by CJANDH
  • Like 1

Our third full day of our pre pre cruise tour took us to south to Hakone National Park.  Rain was forecasted and we awoke to rain and heavy low clouds.  Knowing that Fuji-San is elusive, I kept my hopes up.  As we traveled further south, the sky became brighter.  Cherry trees were peaking out in between dense Japanese cedars.   We rounded a mountain and gasped at our first sight of Mt. Fuji still hiding her face with a veil of clouds.
IMG_0198.thumb.jpeg.cdc886e1a48fc7b9bdcf999996cf1a1e.jpeg

The Shinto gods were smiling on us because, as the day progressed, Fuji-San revealed herself in her full magnificence.  

IMG_0227.thumb.jpeg.d64a87945e6a57c4a92e400c1717eea6.jpeg

IMG_0222.thumb.jpeg.c5aa7652da64ccec154c2f45cfdaa09f.jpeg

Our first stop in Hakone was a visit the Itchiku Kubota art museum.  Kubota was a textile artist who mastered an ancient technique of hand dying and manipulating fabric.  He used the Kimono form as his canvas and created art that is stunningly beautiful.

IMG_0205.jpeg.427c698ad31935190c8715b4bd6113db.jpeg

For me, this would be a destination.  The museum was his home and garden and that, alone, was worth the visit.  

IMG_0199.thumb.jpeg.79da18cadf85f2934aac6098ceec86ea.jpeg

We then went on to the Hakone Ropeway for a gondola ride through the Owakudani volcanic caldera.  The cloud cover had descended at that point so our gondola ride was completely shrouded with fog.  

IMG_1077.thumb.jpeg.69fa80ec506bb5741e7c57a5280f0a18.jpeg

We emerged at Lake Ashi for a scenic boat ride.
FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.606d28d59becf71fadbaff437f7f027a.jpeg

Fuji-san couldn’t bare to say goodbye and closed her cloud curtains at the end of the lake.  

IMG_0250.thumb.jpeg.450aca4a3f600655aeae98e3301f27b6.jpeg

IMG_0228.jpeg

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, forgap said:

Our third full day of our pre pre cruise tour took us to south to Hakone National Park.  Rain was forecasted and we awoke to rain and heavy low clouds.  Knowing that Fuji-San is elusive, I kept my hopes up.  As we traveled further south, the sky became brighter.  Cherry trees were peaking out in between dense Japanese cedars.   We rounded a mountain and gasped at our first sight of Mt. Fuji still hiding her face with a veil of clouds.
IMG_0198.thumb.jpeg.cdc886e1a48fc7b9bdcf999996cf1a1e.jpeg

The Shinto gods were smiling on us because, as the day progressed, Fuji-San revealed herself in her full magnificence.  

IMG_0227.thumb.jpeg.d64a87945e6a57c4a92e400c1717eea6.jpeg

IMG_0222.thumb.jpeg.c5aa7652da64ccec154c2f45cfdaa09f.jpeg

Our first stop in Hakone was a visit the Itchiku Kubota art museum.  Kubota was a textile artist who mastered an ancient technique of hand dying and manipulating fabric.  He used the Kimono form as his canvas and created art that is stunningly beautiful.

IMG_0205.jpeg.427c698ad31935190c8715b4bd6113db.jpeg

For me, this would be a destination.  The museum was his home and garden and that, alone, was worth the visit.  

IMG_0199.thumb.jpeg.79da18cadf85f2934aac6098ceec86ea.jpeg

We then went on to the Hakone Ropeway for a gondola ride through the Owakudani volcanic caldera.  The cloud cover had descended at that point so our gondola ride was completely shrouded with fog.  

IMG_1077.thumb.jpeg.69fa80ec506bb5741e7c57a5280f0a18.jpeg

We emerged at Lake Ashi for a scenic boat ride.
FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.606d28d59becf71fadbaff437f7f027a.jpeg

Fuji-san couldn’t bare to say goodbye and closed her cloud curtains at the end of the lake.  

IMG_0250.thumb.jpeg.450aca4a3f600655aeae98e3301f27b6.jpeg

IMG_0228.jpeg

With these beautiful pictures of Mt. Fuji, you can consider your trip to Japan a success. 
Everything else from now on is gravy!

• Like 1