Silversea Dawn: embarkation time of 2 pm in Lisbon

many cruises

We are newbies to Silver Cruises.  Embarkation time on the Silver Dawn is 2 pm in Lisbon.  For those who have embarked here, is that accurate or do cruisers arrive earlier?  If so, what time would you suggest?  Thanks for your advice.

We were told 2 pm for embarkation in Auckland, but we discovered that people were already boarding at 12:30 – so we collected our luggage from the hotel and got on straightaway.  If you want to have lunch in The Restaurant, try to board at noon or shortly thereafter.  [La Terrazza says open later]

In Lisbon it can vary a bit depending on which terminal it is - there are two. There's the main one which is the first one you come to as you go up the Avenida Inf D Henrique - a big building you go up the escalators to check in upstairs - I haven't had to wait there for more than a few minutes.

There is the little one further along the road, a single story building where I have had to wait for half an hour or more before check in starts.

I leave my hotel by noon and walk up there so I guess I'm usually there by 12.30pm or earlier.

In Lisbon, I expect to be on the Pool deck with a champagne by 1pm.

I have also sailed from Lisbon and that 2:00om boarding time is just too funky. They put it in place after the re-start from Covid.  I have sailed multiple times since 2021 and you should be able to board long before 2.  I have no clue why they won't take that wording off the website/documents. 

On 4/3/2024 at 7:38 AM, Lois R said:

I have also sailed from Lisbon and that 2:00om boarding time is just too funky. They put it in place after the re-start from Covid.  I have sailed multiple times since 2021 and you should be able to board long before 2.  I have no clue why they won't take that wording off the website/documents. 

Lois, I know you often use SS pre-hotels.  Do the transfers from the hotels arrive at the ports close to 2:00 or earlier?  If they arrive at 2:00 I’m just wondering if there’s lunch still available onboard?  We’re using an SS hotel and transfer for the first time on our upcoming cruise in May starting in Rome.

5 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Lois, I know you often use SS pre-hotels.  Do the transfers from the hotels arrive at the ports close to 2:00 or earlier?  If they arrive at 2:00 I’m just wondering if there’s lunch still available onboard?  We’re using an SS hotel and transfer for the first time on our upcoming cruise in May starting in Rome.

Hi, it really depends on how many guests are going.....when there are multiple busses involved they usually start earlier than 2 for sure.

4 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

The Grill will still be open.

• Like 2

Usually on a changeover day La Terazza is open until 2.30pm. We went there on our recent changeover day as it was wet and miserable so I didn’t want to go out on the deck. 
We were there past 2.30 and they were still letting people in.

Other options are the Grill with last order 3 pm and Spaccanapoli with pizza available until 11pm.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Arts Cafe will also be open. 

But- last year I found boarding (Nova) in Lisbon at the early part of the boarding window to be the most crowded, hectic scenario in more than 20 years of sailing with Silversea.  There were 5 buses of passengers from the Silversea hotels. The queues for security were long and people were crowding against each other unnecessarily while in line.   

I prefer to ask for a late checkout at the hotel and enjoy a late breakfast or leisurely lunch ashore before heading to the ship around 3 pm. 

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2024 at 3:37 PM, Dolcevita Diva said:

I prefer to ask for a late checkout at the hotel and enjoy a late breakfast or leisurely lunch ashore before heading to the ship around 3 pm. 

You'll probably get access to your suite without any waiting by doing that too?