Tokyo Hotel

MsCrystalina

HI all,

Cruising in December on Dawn disembarking in Tokyo.  Not doing D2D.   No hotels currently listed on site.  Any suggestions for a nice, centrally located hotel in Tokyo.   Will be arranging sightseeing for 2 days +-=    Prefer large, newer properties- Marriott, Hyatt etc OK.  Top tier luxury not an option.

thanks 

20 minutes ago, MsCrystalina said:

HI all,

Cruising in December on Dawn disembarking in Tokyo.  Not doing D2D.   No hotels currently listed on site.  Any suggestions for a nice, centrally located hotel in Tokyo.   Will be arranging sightseeing for 2 days +-=    Prefer large, newer properties- Marriott, Hyatt etc OK.  Top tier luxury not an option.

thanks 

Hi, in April 2019, we were at ANA InterContinental Hotel Tokyo, very nice location, excellent buffet breakfast to start the day and shuttle to go to the airport.  Highly recommended to reserve a local guide to explore the most of the city during your stay.  Enjoy Tokyo!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

If interested I can refer and outstanding guide.  Also highly recommend a Culinary Backstreets food tour.

I’d appreciate the recommendation if you have one. I won’t be traveling until next year but would like this and if you have done anything for a serious cocktail tour that would be great too.

3 hours ago, MsCrystalina said:

HI all, Cruising in December on Dawn disembarking in Tokyo.  Not doing D2D.   No hotels currently listed on site.  Any suggestions for a nice, centrally located hotel in Tokyo.   Will be arranging sightseeing for 2 days +-=    Prefer large, newer properties- Marriott, Hyatt etc OK.  Top tier luxury not an option.  thanks 

YES, have a suggestion based on recent, March 2-5 experiences doing three nights in Tokyo after completing a Mumbai to Singapore Silver Moon cruise/adventure.  

It was the Gate Hotel Tokyo by Hulic.  Clean, modern hotel that has a super, great location in the busy, exciting Ginza.   It is eight miles from the Tokyo Haneda International Airport.  Access from Ginza station is only one minute away.(Ginza line, Marunouchi line, Hibiya line, Chiyoda line, plus access to a range of nearby rail options).   It has a rooftop terrace/bar, plus dining options there.  It gains high TripAdvisor ratings.  Many dining, shopping, etc., options are nearby.  

My live/blog below, starting near the top of page five, has many visuals and options to consider for Tokyo, Kamakura, etc.

Be ready!  Hotels are not cheap in Tokyo and some locations are at decent distance from their fast, efficient (but complex) transit system.  And, we hit a weekend when the Tokyo Marathon was happening.  That added to the costs and challenges.   

Let us on these CC boards know any and all added questions about Japan.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

India to Singaore 2024: Live/Blog with many visuals, including “Golden Triangle”, Japan, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Malaysia:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2992045-live-terryohio-india-to-signapore-silver-moon-rising-pix’s/

In the Ginza near our hotel, here is one example for the night action/excitement.: 

image.thumb.jpeg.68b4d34b4695257b4d53a79e207cc8ae.jpeg

Nearby in Kamakura, to help build for the excitement in visiting Japan, here is the Great Buddha and an early cherry blossom flowering.:  

image.thumb.jpeg.7925f5393da8e25e880265f2436819e8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8a0a6e1117d61264d01efacff6dede50.jpeg

2 hours ago, Tripgalrf said:

I’d appreciate the recommendation if you have one. I won’t be traveling until next year but would like this and if you have done anything for a serious cocktail tour that would be great too.

We had a great day tour with guide Mayu at Backstreet Guides.  You can customize your time with her.

I don’t know anything about a cocktail tour - sounds scary but Culinary Backstreets is great for an extensive culinary walking tour.  For a shorter evening walking food tour Arigato has fun tours.

• Like 1

It really depends on what you want to do in Tokyo. It is such a big area you can book a “central “ hotel and find yourself a long way from what you want to do. 
We have stayed in Tokyo about 50 times but we always find something different to do. So we have stayed in several different areas of Tokyo.

On 4/4/2024 at 2:38 PM, MsCrystalina said:

TLCOhio- WOW- looks like where I want to be!  thanks to all for info-   most appreciative. 

Glad that the Gate Hotel is of interest.   Below is visual from their website of the fourth floor lobby that has nice views, plus a large outdoor area that can be fun to use, etc.  

image.thumb.png.90587805bc7beea23f5bc36c4b08e3e9.png

As to guides, we used, work with and loved both of the folks we located through Tours by Locals for our two and a half days in Japan.  They are Kumi H. and Makayla S.  Tokyo and its many subway and train options are wonderful, but they can be a little "complex" to navigate.  Excellent to have skilled guides to make things more efficient, answer ALL of our many questions and give us background as to Japan's interesting history, traditions, etc.  

Here is Kumi trying to explain to us how to use chopsticks while having lunch in Tokyo.  She did well.  We were poor, slow-learning students!:

image.thumb.jpeg.795be88b6b0fefd67a11a5731f8cb1d0.jpeg

Here is Makayla with my wife on the left at one of the best temples in charming and historic Kamakura.: 

image.thumb.jpeg.8a3ec6386a7ffb2d519481c802391364.jpeg

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 251,049 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

• Like 2

Thanks for this thread. Wish I had seen these recommendations before my overnight in Tokyo last fall, but I am saving the ideas since I hope to be back there soon.

Hotels -- depend on your cost points

Favorites with 30 plus years traveling to Tokyo in order (not including the Imperial and 4 Seasons which are my favorites and are $$$$)

Tokyo Station (think you can still book it via Hyatt if you are a Hyatt member)

ANA Intercontinental in a quiet area near the Embassy -- this was my corporate hotel as it was near our office

Hyatt Regency in Shinjuku (the Park Hyatt is now closed for Renovations until late 2025)

Hilton Tokyo - good hotel at a reasonable in Shinjuku -- just stayed there on a Regent Japan pre-cruise.  If you are gold or higher, rate includes breakfast

Tour guides -- Can recommend Patrick L at Tours by Locals.  He is an ex-pat that speaks Japanese fluently and gives a different perspective to a native. We have found many of the older native guides very regimented and scripted with flip charts and other visual aids. 

Also at Tours by local -- Eiichi M (Eddy). 

We are staying in a D2D SS hotel in Tokyo next weekend, originally scheduled and priced as the Conrad Hilton, it’s now the somewhat cheaper Yokohama Westin. As usual with SS these days, the hotel bookers decided to move everyone there and left the poor London consultants with no option than to apologise.

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2024 at 3:08 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

If interested I can refer and outstanding guide.  Also highly recommend a Culinary Backstreets food tour.

I'll be in Tokyo after the 9/12-10/1 Nova Cruise from Vancouver. Would love any info!

4 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

We are staying in a D2D SS hotel in Tokyo next weekend, originally scheduled and priced as the Conrad Hilton, it’s now the somewhat cheaper Yokohama Westin. As usual with SS these days, the hotel bookers decided to move everyone there and left the poor London consultants with no option than to apologise.

We are on a DtD on the Muse departing Tokyo on May 1 and had booked the Silversea hotel for 3 nights pre-cruise on the understanding it was the Conrad in Tokyo. After the deadline to cancel the hotel without penalty (about a month ago) we found out Silversea was using the  Westin Yokohama, despite the fact that our cruise leaves from Tokyo, not Yokohama! Rooms at the Westin were going for less than $250 when booked directly and Silversea was charging us more than four times that rate.  Our travel agent spoke to Silversea and we were allowed to cancel without penalty.

We booked a Mount Fujii view room at the Mandarin Oriental Tokyo for less than Silversea was charging for the Yokohama Westin. 

We have had many problems with Silversea hotels since the re-start of cruising, but really didn't have another option as DtD was the only option for a Silver Suite, which we prefer. Hopefully, with the new pricing structure we won't have to use a Silversea hotel again.

Agree. Did not trust SS for our 1/13 /25 Tokyo hotel so booked  Tokyo station hotel for 3 nights .  Stayed there 15 years ago so don’t remember much other than great location 

28 minutes ago, Kauaijim said:

Agree. Did not trust SS for our 1/13 /25 Tokyo hotel so booked  Tokyo station hotel for 3 nights .  Stayed there 15 years ago so don’t remember much other than great location 

YES, Tokyo Station is an excellent location and handy for many options.  Below is a picture from just a month ago when we were in front of this location with its nice, interesting architecture and many nearby hotels and potentials.  

image.thumb.jpeg.f93d462170b581af51edb80518ee413b.jpeg

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

• Like 1