Live from Regatta

judi666

9 hours ago, Sailnsurf said:

Thanks for this. However it raises something which worries me. My wife is very sensitive to motion which has always influenced our cruising choices. That said she has been bold enough to enjoy sailing (yachting) with medication when needed. But that has been for relatively short periods. I would not want to subject her to extended periods of movement. She would not enjoy dining/eating at all if conscious of movement.

So my question is how much movement is likely when at anchorage and when moving between the islands? 

Thanks also to jondfk and TRLD for your comments. I would welcome input from others about their experiences of excursions etc on the islands.

Okay, I’ll comment here too.  The portion of our sailing in FP was really quite calm including the day long run north to Nuku Hiva.  Thereafter however the 5 day run to Honolulu was quite rocky with seas of 20 ft plus for several days which caused the captain to slow the ship which in turn caused us to arrive about 7 hours late into Honolulu.  DW suffers in rough seas and this leg was challenging for her (though she has agreed to do it again next year so….).  Again I wouldn’t expect any of that on your FP sailing, but just so you know.

10 hours ago, Sailnsurf said:

Thanks again. Are you able to say what level of movement there has been during meal times and when at anchor? What do you mean by " not bad between most ports"? Is the GDR a better place to eat wgen some motion is likely given it is at a lower level than other dining locations?

I really appreciate comments on motion generally because this could be a deal breaker for us-which would be a great pity because we have wanted to cruise FP.

Does anyone know whether kinder seas could be expected in late August compared to now?

Please have your wife try the wristbands. I'm sensitive to motion too, and they work perfectly for me. I thought it sounded like voodoo nonsense until I tried them.

• Thanks 1

Answers to a couple of previous questions. The CD John is leaving the ship tomorrow in LA. 

The CD does lead trivia and the game show activities

The name of the piano player in Martinis is Abner Sanchez

24 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Answers to a couple of previous questions. The CD John is leaving the ship tomorrow in LA. 

The CD does lead trivia and the game show activities

The name of the piano player in Martinis is Abner Sanchez

Did they mention who is taking over for him?

Posted (edited)
Just now, ORV said:

Did they mention who is taking over for him?

Robin, he has been assisting John during this cruise

Edited by TRLD
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

interesting the changes they make at the last minute

Jancruz1

Jan, do you know Robin or are you going to have to break a new one in?

6 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

interesting the changes they make at the last minute

Jancruz1

John said this morning that his contract was ending tomorrow. Sounds like this was the schedule all along.

8 hours ago, jondfk said:

Okay, I’ll comment here too.  The portion of our sailing in FP was really quite calm including the day long run north to Nuku Hiva.  Thereafter however the 5 day run to Honolulu was quite rocky with seas of 20 ft plus for several days which caused the captain to slow the ship which in turn caused us to arrive about 7 hours late into Honolulu.  DW suffers in rough seas and this leg was challenging for her (though she has agreed to do it again next year so….).  Again I wouldn’t expect any of that on your FP sailing, but just so you know.

Agreed.  If you suffer from rough seas this may not be the right cruise for you. I would do the FP islands again but not this particular itinerary.  I did not anticipate how unenjoyable it would be to move about the ship or do activities.  This is somewhat age related. I’m getting a knee replacement next month.

12 hours ago, jondfk said:

Thanks for this- it is veTey re-assuring. I had thought it would be relatively calm around the islands during August based on my research but it is nice to hear this first hand. Thanks to all who responded.

7 hours ago, TRLD said:

John said this morning that his contract was ending tomorrow. Sounds like this was the schedule all along.

Thats interesting as I talk to my friend that makes up the schedules and he is rarely wrong..guess there is a first time for anything..

Jancruz1

• Haha 1