Live from Regatta

judi666

7 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

It really shouldn't be allowed, if you're cruising you should be able to follow the rules.  Taking a glass of wine into dinner is wrong--as well as taking one out of a restaurant.  Why be petty to save a few dollars.  If you want to drink around the ship, buy the drink package.

It does seem that may be the case. I see it after lunch and after dinner.  One guy was cradling 3 bottles of beer and balancing a glass of wine to boot. That would make sense that some may be doing the SM to go. 

I didn’t think the SM would actually make much difference. But in reality, I’m not fond of it all.  We did enjoy all our O included excursions. Several people were complaining about theirs. I think this is partly because of the rainy conditions the past several days. 
They seemed to use one tour company for most of the tours in Hawaii.  The guides were also the bus drivers.  They all were funny and had good information.  The buses were nice and had a bathroom. I know more about Captain Cook than I ever did before!😃

Most lines seem to have the option to include some drink package, a few tours etc.  

The two we took post Covid, drinks up to a certain price were included.  If you wanted something or a higher brand of spirits you paid the full price.  That seemed like a better option, as you could have something at any bar and not limited to certain times of the day. 

Generally,  the food has been ok to very good. After a week or so, we both agree the food in the GDR is preferable to the specialty restaurants. We tried Toscana 3 times and canceled our remaining 2. The pasta was usually overdone and the sauce was always the same, although described in different ways.  The menu never changes.  Both venues are very meat heavy.  Since I don’t eat red meat, I may be missing on the best dishes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aloha to those onboard Regatta, very much enjoying the live from reports.  With 5 sea days ahead I hope you might share any particularly noteworthy crew members be they wait staff, bar staff or others.  We board in Los Angeles on Saturday and always like to look towards staff who have demonstrated great service.

Aloha and mahalo,

Jon

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

It really shouldn't be allowed, if you're cruising you should be able to follow the rules.  Taking a glass of wine into dinner is wrong--as well as taking one out of a restaurant.  Why be petty to save a few dollars.  If you want to drink around the ship, buy the drink package.

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

And, of course, people are drinking free and freely all over the ship on the evening of the Captain's Party.

People who bring their own beer and hard liquor on board should be drinking it in their cabins. And for wine, pay the corkage fee if you want to drink your wine outside your cabin.

Wow, I’m not really understanding the problem with this? Sometimes you haven’t finished your drink when it is time to go to the show. It doesn’t mean the drink came from your own stock. It could have been from dinner or from one of the bars. It’s not unusual to see this on other cruise lines (Princess, Celebrity for example).

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, catgirl411 said:

...It’s not unusual to see this on other cruise lines (Princess, Celebrity for example).

Keep in mind that O allows you to bring on board unlimited amounts of beer, hard liquor and wine at embarkation and in ports.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kay S said:

Is that expressly forbidden?

Not at all - we often will have a glass of port after dinner and take what is left with us to the show

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Keep in mind that O allows you to bring on board unlimited amounts of beer, hard liquor and wine at embarkation and in ports.

Yes, but it's for in suite use only, not to be taken outside.........

5 hours ago, catgirl411 said:

Wow, I’m not really understanding the problem with this? Sometimes you haven’t finished your drink when it is time to go to the show. It doesn’t mean the drink came from your own stock. It could have been from dinner or from one of the bars. It’s not unusual to see this on other cruise lines (Princess, Celebrity for example).

WE aren't talking about people playing by the rules--It's the people that want to take advantage of the situation.  Those that order a glass of wine just before getting up---or those that purchased a bottle off ship and pour a glass of wine or cocktail to take outside of the suite.  Sorry but it happens probably more than we think.

4 hours ago, basor said:

Not at all - we often will have a glass of port after dinner and take what is left with us to the show

If it's not part of your drink package, and you purchased the bottle off ship.  Yes it is..........

5 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Yes they do (Which is generous of "O"), but the rules state that purchase is for consumption in your suite (unless on wine you pay the corkage charge.

Yes they do (Which is generous of "O"), but the rules state that purchase is for consumption in your suite (unless on wine you pay the corkage charge.

You're confusing and conflating things.

My POINT was the O is DIFFERENT in that it allows you to bring on board unlimited amounts of alcohol. NOT that we could drink our own alcohol all over the ship. People who break the rules on drinking their own alcohol endanger the policy. I like and respect the policy. I drink mine responsibly in my cabin.

BUT I do enjoy the Captain's Party (and Repeater Party) and then drink their alcohol all over the ship that night.

• Like 4

WE aren't talking about people playing by the rules--It's the people that want to take advantage of the situation.  Those that order a glass of wine just before getting up---or those that purchased a bottle off ship and pour a glass of wine or cocktail to take outside of the suite.  Sorry but it happens probably more than we think.

I still don’t understand the problem with someone ordering a glass of wine just before getting up from dinner and walking away with it. One of the cool things imho about being on a ship is the freedom to walk around with a drink if I want to…something I sure can’t do on land. What if I want to stand out on the deck after dinner and watch the ocean with a glass of wine in hand? Who am I hurting?

• Like 9

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, catgirl411 said:

I still don’t understand the problem with someone ordering a glass of wine just before getting up from dinner and walking away with it. One of the cool things imho about being on a ship is the freedom to walk around with a drink if I want to…something I sure can’t do on land. What if I want to stand out on the deck after dinner and watch the ocean with a glass of wine in hand? Who am I hurting?

I don't disagree with you, I'm just saving if you buy the glass of wine, or your on the drink package-not wrong.  However if your on the package that includes wine at lunch or dinner then sit at the table and finish it.  Otherwise wait until you get to a bar to buy it.  Just an opinion........

Edited by ronrick1943
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I don't disagree with you, I'm just saving if you buy the glass of wine, or your on the drink package-not wrong.  However if your on the package that includes wine at lunch or dinner then sit at the table and finish it.  Otherwise wait until you get to a bar to buy it.  Just an opinion........

Ok that helps clarify. It isn’t the walking around with a drink that you object to…it’s how the drink was paid for. I guess I’ve gotten used to drink packages where it doesn’t matter when/where you acquire the drink, 

• Like 1

I can see this issue has had my opinion expressed, but I'm going to chime in just the same. My husband frequently takes a glass from the dining room to the show. We never have the drink package, so we have bought the bottle in the dining room. It must be okay, because the waiter will get him a different glass (the dining room ones differ from the bar ones) to take it in. I don't know how I feel about a glass if it's in the package that only includes it at lunch and dinner. Guess it depends on when it was poured. If one got it right before the show and hadn't drunk much of it, I think I would say no.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, palakika said:

Judi666..  thanks for your comments.  I'm also boarding on Sat in LA and wondering who is serving as cruise director?  Thanks.

Francie

Are you following the Roll Call for that Cruise? Jan mentioned that Adrian is the CD for the 4-20 cruise. I don't know Adrain but she said he's very good. 

OOPS, never mind, I see we've already had this conversation on the Roll Call. My mistake. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, catgirl411 said:

Ok that helps clarify. It isn’t the walking around with a drink that you object to…it’s how the drink was paid for. I guess I’ve gotten used to drink packages where it doesn’t matter when/where you acquire the drink, 

Exactly....I'm just talking about people trying to beat the system....anything else no one should care.

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

You're confusing and conflating things.

My POINT was the O is DIFFERENT in that it allows you to bring on board unlimited amounts of alcohol. NOT that we could drink our own alcohol all over the ship. People who break the rules on drinking their own alcohol endanger the policy. I like and respect the policy. I drink mine responsibly in my cabin.

BUT I do enjoy the Captain's Party (and Repeater Party) and then drink their alcohol all over the ship that night.

Couldn't agree more with you, I understand exactly.  

1 minute ago, ronrick1943 said:

Couldn't agree more with you, I understand exactly.  

I also agree. It would be sad if the policy became more restrictive because people are abusing the current  ‘liberal’  system.

Just wondering how you know who is drinking ‘within’ the rules! Do they have different types of glasses in the dining room?

It's not our responsibility to play cop here.  Whether it be clothing or alcohol or ....  It's up to Oceania to decide if it's a problem.  This is so minor in the big picture.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, zalusky said:

It's not our responsibility to play cop here.  Whether it be clothing or alcohol or ....  It's up to Oceania to decide if it's a problem.  This is so minor in the big picture.

Yes so true ! 

After all we are on ‘holiday’!

The worst breaking of the rules I have seen is someone that brings vodka in a water bottle to dinner so they dont have to buy a drink,,VERY tacky in my opinion..

Jancruz1

• Like 8

3 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Exactly....I'm just talking about people trying to beat the system....anything else no one should care.

Really no one should even care about this issue. It is the cruise lines program if they wanted they could easily add language that meal time drinks must be consumed in the dining venue. They apparently do not seem to share your concerns about others behaviors.

We do not drink so we have no dogs in this hunt, but it is a bit funny for someone to get so worked up about an issue when the cruise line does not seem to worry about it.

Maybe they should assign drink police at each venue door and check anyone carrying a drink out to make sure that they have a package and not trying to cheat the system.

On Regatta have not seen any signs of wide spread abuse, even though we have seen people carrying drinks from one venue to another.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3