Some new snorkeling suggestions

Host Bonjour
This post was recognized by Host Bonjour!

jean87510 was awarded the badge 'Excellent Advice!'

Currently on the NCL spirit sailing from Sydney to Tahiti.  Our itinerary includes Noumea, New Caledonia, Mystery Island, Vanuatu, Lautoka, Fiji, Pago Pago American Samoa, Bora Bora, Moorea and Papeete, Tahiti.  We are currently on our way to Bora bora.  I'll share briefly what we did snorkeling wise as it may help anyone planning.  

Noumea, New caledonia.  We went with Noumea turtle tours and booked a tour to Amedee Island.  This snorkeling was very good.  Turtles, nurse sharks, decent coral.  Island was beautiful to explore.  We brought our own tent, blow up chairs, snorkeling gear and drink plus protein bars.  The ship excursion was 2.5x the price we paid and was a herd of sheep.

Mystery Island.  No need for an excursion here.  Walk the path, pass the airport runway.  Keep looking on the right of path for a place to stake your claim.  Most beautiful drift snorkeling ever.  100x better than Klein Bonaire.

Lautoka Fiji.  This is a bit of a miss for snorkeling.  We did take a ship tour to Tivua island but it was not good at all.  Snorkeling was ok.  Similar to Cozumel Palancar and Columbia reefs.  You can go on your own.  My suggestion is to book the vendor and leave from Denereau.

American Samoa.  Easily so far the best snorkeling we have ever seen in the past 30 years.  We watched a family from the area on YouTube videos show their favorite snorkeling spots and oh boy they were correct!  Two dollar beach according to them is not worth it.  We went to Fagasa bay.  Snorkeled with dolphins, spectacular coral reefs and sea life.  It was truly amazing.  We took a cab here and paid him to stay.  He wasn't happy as all the cab drivers just go to 2 dollar but we were insistent that this was what we wanted.

When we get to a good wifi spot I will share my pictures.

• Like 3

Host Bonjour
This post was recognized by Host Bonjour!

jean87510 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Bora Bora - we were scheduled to go with Maohi Nui tours but were stiffed by them.  They have terrible communication skills via email.  They do not respond to phone messages.  We had told them it would be difficult to get the first tenders and it was.  We actually jumped on a tender that was earlier than our number.  They abandoned our group and took off rather than answer our calls that we were on our way or call us.  Will never recommend them for a cruise our size.  Actually the island was terrible for any plan B for a ship our size.  No taxis. No tours.  Our situation happened all over as tours just took off rather than wait.  People were so angry they went right back to the boat.  Finally after an hour, they brought buses in and dumped everyone off at Matira beach. 

Luckily we had read Maohi Nui had done this to others before so we were ready just in case.  We researched how to get to the Aquarium and the coral gardens on our own and we did exactly that.  We walked to the Intercontinental and hid our snorkeling bags in some rocks.  We then with our buoy, snorkeled and swam the .75 mile out to the area.  Strong current but shallow so we could stand at areas.  We saw amazing stingrays and eagle rays.  Also went all over the Aquarium and the coral gardens.  It was tiring but exhilarating.  I would only recommend this if you are a strong swimmer and/or have snorkeling vests and buoys as there were tour boats everywhere. After about 1.5 hrs, we swam back with the current.  We found a shower at Matira, cleaned our stuff off and us and returned to tender area via bus.  The bus was $5 pp each way.  We did go to a convenience store where I practiced my French to purchase water and soda.  Whole day was about $30.  We were actually glad that it ended well.  We were not happy with the tour company as it was a first for us with the terrible communication and was definitely a warning sign.  I'm sure others have had no issues with this company and had delightful times.  However, if you are like us and at the mercy of 1900 people trying to get ashore, this company may not be for you as they clearly didn't care if they took us out or not.  

Snorkeling wise, I have to still give American samoa the edge.  Island wise, the same.  

Posted (edited)

Maohi Nui (Patrick) often has contracts with the cruise ships and with some ships he is not allowed to take private reservations. No excuse for not communicating with you but there is likely a reason why he wasn't 'hungry'.

There are other ways to get over to the Coral Gardens ... rent a kayak or pontoon boat from places close to the Moana IC. 

There are other places in FP that have better snorkeling though the Coral Garden is still very accessible and pretty good. We've played with octopus at the gardens as well as getting close to large eels. 

'Fred' ... our favorite eel at the Coral Gardens

3CD742BF-DDF6-4DF9-8CD0-73CB46FAF460-Edit.jpg

Us on the pontoon boat at the Coral Gardens

15.jpg

'George' the octopus visiting with someone in my group. He loves the interaction and of course his treat afterword's. 

DSC00616.jpg

'Papa' feeding 'Fred' while we all watch ... Coral Gardens

GOPR1612.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

39 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Maohi Nui (Patrick) often has contracts with the cruise ships and with some ships he is not allowed to take private reservations. No excuse for not communicating with you but there is likely a reason why he wasn't 'hungry'.

There are other ways to get over to the Coral Gardens ... rent a kayak or pontoon boat from places close to the Moana IC. 

There are other places in FP that have better snorkeling though the Coral Garden is still very accessible and pretty good. We've played with octopus at the gardens as well as getting close to large eels. 

'Fred' ... our favorite eel at the Coral Gardens

3CD742BF-DDF6-4DF9-8CD0-73CB46FAF460-Edit.jpg

Us on the pontoon boat at the Coral Gardens

15.jpg

'George' the octopus visiting with someone in my group. He loves the interaction and of course his treat afterword's. 

DSC00616.jpg

'Papa' feeding 'Fred' while we all watch ... Coral Gardens

GOPR1612.jpg

The island was not offering anything at all - kayaks, taxis, tours, bikes, scooters, SUPs...etc... to walk offs.  It was bedlam.  We ran into the cruise director who had a similar issue in even getting a cab and went to Matira with us to and from.  Almost everyone was back onboard by 3pm.  Scheduled onboard was 730.  Even the captain commented on the situation.  They were not prepared for that size of ship.  

1 minute ago, jean87510 said:

The island was not offering anything at all - kayaks, taxis, tours, bikes, scooters, SUPs...etc... to walk offs.  It was bedlam.  We ran into the cruise director who had a similar issue in even getting a cab and went to Matira with us to and from.  Almost everyone was back onboard by 3pm.  Scheduled onboard was 730.  Even the captain commented on the situation.  They were not prepared for that size of ship.  

As you've heard me say before the only way to really see FP is by smaller ship. The big ships will soon be a thing of the past ... now you know why. Most of the islands do not have the infrastructure to accommodate large ships. 

When I go I always have private vendors booked and ready for me to arrive. 

9 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

As you've heard me say before the only way to really see FP is by smaller ship. The big ships will soon be a thing of the past ... now you know why. Most of the islands do not have the infrastructure to accommodate large ships. 

When I go I always have private vendors booked and ready for me to arrive. 

Agreed.  I didn't pick the itinerary.  This is only to FYI those who may be in a similar predicament.  And there were a few of us who did have private vendors who either left, or no showed.  Some had vendors who went with the cruise ship and didn't tell them.  Regardless, this is a sharing for the rare traveler who may be at Bora Bora who may be interested in an advanced inexpensive snorkeling excursion or one who may arrive on a large 1900 passenger ship to have a Plan B.  We are getting ready to tender in Moorea and I have already reached out to our E car rental to please whatapp and call and stay in touch with us as I definitely don't want the same situation.  He has been wonderful with emails and responses as Maohi Nui definitely was not.  

Moorea.  We had a cute rental car from Moorea Fun Roadster.  We were picked up by the owner at the tender dock.  We first went to Tipanier and Tipnautic to rent 2 single kayaks for $40 for 2 hours.  We went into a cove and snorkeled with some rays, sharks, turtles,and beautiful coral.  This was very easy to do.

We then headed to a public beach with showers to clean off our snorkeling stuff and ourselves and get some pictures.  Beautiful area and not far from cruise tender dock

Next we decided to go to the lookout at Belvedere and check out some walkabouts near there.

Then we headed around island stopping for photo shots everywhere.  Got one of the Sofitel beach resort and just love the view they have there!

Moorea was simply delightful.  From the people to the island itself.  We are adding it to our list of places to come back to.  They did a great job with our ship.  In the morning, there were many taxis and tours available.  When we returned, the tours were gone and locals were selling the usual suspects.  Our international plan worked well there.  I hate to bring up Bora Bora again but the difference of handling the cruisers was a lot different.  I personally wish we had stayed with Raiatea, our original stop instead of a substitution for Bora Bora.  But, again, jmo.

If you like snorkeling, I do suggest doing what we did with the kayak.  It was really easy.  We pulled it on an island and just headed out.  Just make sure to have a buoy with you for the boat traffic.

Currently at the intercontinental hotel in Tahiti.  We disembarked this am around 9.  NCL arranged for those of us who had their air to go to the Pearl resort (sorry the name is escaping me).  We thought our original day pass was here so we were happy to get a ride.  We quickly realized after at least 300 people with suitcases, that it may be better to take a cab to beat the rush.  When we got there we discovered we went tothe wrong hotel!  So we arranged a cab to the Intercontinental which was the correct resort with the day pass.  As we waited, we saw bus after bus pull up with sweaty, hot, aggravated cruisers.  

The intercontinental is very nice for the day pass.  It is $50 pp which includes a limited lunch and they will hold your luggage. Our flight is so late, I said let's just hang and relax.  If interested, do pre-book the day pass!  There were quite a few turnaways.  

They have snorkeling available here, a giant pool, showers, towels, and a place for rescued turtles and baby turtles.

Home now and thought I'd jot some more notes.

We really enjoyed the intercontinental.  The shower is an outdoor shower though which was interesting.  The food was really good but drinks not included in the day pass.

Took cab to airport which was hell on earth.  I read many reports on this and knew what to get prior which was the priority pass for the line and the lounge pass at the airport.  Boy am I glad I did!  We were stopped at immigration and patted down which was fine, it happens.  We were in lounge by 845pm which was about 3 hrs before our flight.  The lounge does have showers and towels with shampoo and soap but I packed a sample bottles pre cruise as I knew about this.  Food was ok.  There is coffee, wine, soda, water.  Typical airport lounge food.  Places to recharge phones snd batteries.  Plus it is air conditioned.  

I did upgrade my seat to the level above economy.  Got 2 meals plus drinks from the cart.  Chair was not very comfortable but at least was roomy.  

We loved the French Polynesian islands but think when we return we are going to do a windstar or paul Gaughan.  NCL was a bit out of their league there.  We want to return to Australia and try New Zealand as well but with Royal or Celebrity.  We are hesitant about Hawaii because our son lived there and shared some stories with us about Hawaiians feelings about cruisers.  We would rather stay there then cruise.

I am afraid the underwater world has forever ruined me for the Caribbean and Bahamas!  Absolutely no comparison.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

Home now and thought I'd jot some more notes.

We really enjoyed the intercontinental.  The shower is an outdoor shower though which was interesting.  The food was really good but drinks not included in the day pass.

Took cab to airport which was hell on earth.  I read many reports on this and knew what to get prior which was the priority pass for the line and the lounge pass at the airport.  Boy am I glad I did!  We were stopped at immigration and patted down which was fine, it happens.  We were in lounge by 845pm which was about 3 hrs before our flight.  The lounge does have showers and towels with shampoo and soap but I packed a sample bottles pre cruise as I knew about this.  Food was ok.  There is coffee, wine, soda, water.  Typical airport lounge food.  Places to recharge phones snd batteries.  Plus it is air conditioned.  

I did upgrade my seat to the level above economy.  Got 2 meals plus drinks from the cart.  Chair was not very comfortable but at least was roomy.  

We loved the French Polynesian islands but think when we return we are going to do a windstar or paul Gaughan.  NCL was a bit out of their league there.  We want to return to Australia and try New Zealand as well but with Royal or Celebrity.  We are hesitant about Hawaii because our son lived there and shared some stories with us about Hawaiians feelings about cruisers.  We would rather stay there then cruise.

I am afraid the underwater world has forever ruined me for the Caribbean and Bahamas!  Absolutely no comparison.

I'll simply say I've been to the Caribbean by ship 4 times. One time was abort a 90 passenger ship owned by PG, the Terra Moana. IMO the Caribbean does not compare to French Polynesia. The Polynesian people are nicer ... when you go into a Caribbean is can be filled with 2-4 mega ships all competing for the same space. I've read everything you said in previous post. One one thing that sticks out to me is your comparison of snorkeling ... but you did not go to the best places for such in FP. I've been to FP 32 times ... there are places that will blow your mind. The #1 location in the world for the best underwater world experience is French Polynesia. The Tuamotus of Fakarava and Rangiroa sit at the very top according to Travel and Leisure. I know other publications have difference opinions but my point is you did not go to the best places French Polynesia has to offer. Visit again ... on a smaller ship as you mentioned ... take an itinerary that includes the Tuamotus 😉

3 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I'll simply say I've been to the Caribbean by ship 4 times. One time was abort a 90 passenger ship owned by PG, the Terra Moana. IMO the Caribbean does not compare to French Polynesia. The Polynesian people are nicer ... when you go into a Caribbean is can be filled with 2-4 mega ships all competing for the same space. I've read everything you said in previous post. One one thing that sticks out to me is your comparison of snorkeling ... but you did not go to the best places for such in FP. I've been to FP 32 times ... there are places that will blow your mind. The #1 location in the world for the best underwater world experience is French Polynesia. The Tuamotus of Fakarava and Rangiroa sit at the very top according to Travel and Leisure. I know other publications have difference opinions but my point is you did not go to the best places French Polynesia has to offer. Visit again ... on a smaller ship as you mentioned ... take an itinerary that includes the Tuamotus 😉

Thank you.  Yes, we knew we were just touching the edge of the snorkeling.  We definitely are coming back, just on a much smaller ship or a land vacation.  What we saw was so much more incredible than the Caribbean.

1 minute ago, jean87510 said:

Thank you.  Yes, we knew we were just touching the edge of the snorkeling.  We definitely are coming back, just on a much smaller ship or a land vacation.  What we saw was so much more incredible than the Caribbean.

Ah .... I mis-understood. I thought you meant that the Caribbean was superior ... my bad.

Many people do a pre/post cruise stay for 3 - 7 days. Some some of the best is the south pass on Fakarava it would be best to do a pre/post stay as the boat trip to the south pass is long ... 90 minutes each way so it it hard to do it when a ship is only there for a day usually 8-5.

1 hour ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Ah .... I mis-understood. I thought you meant that the Caribbean was superior ... my bad.

Many people do a pre/post cruise stay for 3 - 7 days. Some some of the best is the south pass on Fakarava it would be best to do a pre/post stay as the boat trip to the south pass is long ... 90 minutes each way so it it hard to do it when a ship is only there for a day usually 8-5.

Lol not even close!!!  Only places maybe is parts of St. John like Waterlemon Cay, Klein Bonaire, Culebra, parts of BVI and Saba.  But even they aren't even in the same ballpark.

Yes, we were speaking with folks onboard who frequently travel to the area and they said as well it's better to stay pre and/or post.  I will have to start planning with the tip you gave me re the south pass.

• Like 1

@jean87510 Thank you so much for all your information!  One question, what airline lounge did you go to at PPT?  I will be searching for flights in a couple of months and the lounge access you mentioned may be a factor on which airline I use.

~Nancy

2 hours ago, oakridger said:

@jean87510 Thank you so much for all your information!  One question, what airline lounge did you go to at PPT?  I will be searching for flights in a couple of months and the lounge access you mentioned may be a factor on which airline I use.

~Nancy

There is only one lounge ... Air Tahiti Nui. However, under certain types of booking categories and/or airlines you can access the lounge ... 

1 hour ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

There is only one lounge ... Air Tahiti Nui. However, under certain types of booking categories and/or airlines you can access the lounge ... 

Hmmmm.....Thank you.  I'm not planning on using ATN airlines, however.  Probably United from SFO and possibly French Bee Premium Economy coming back if the cost works out.  Both are daytime flights which is why I'm looking into using different airlines instead of one round trip.        We'll see how it plays out!!  🤷‍♀️

~Nancy

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

Hmmmm.....Thank you.  I'm not planning on using ATN airlines, however.  Probably United from SFO and possibly French Bee Premium Economy coming back if the cost works out.  Both are daytime flights which is why I'm looking into using different airlines instead of one round trip.        We'll see how it plays out!!  🤷‍♀️

~Nancy

https://www.loungebuddy.com/PPT/air-tahiti-nui-lounge-international-terminal-NOrsx7UxK7

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Or you can purchase a lounge pass which was what we did about 2 months out using Air Tahiti Nui.  The website had it on their a la carte menu.

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2024 at 2:51 PM, jean87510 said:

Currently on the NCL spirit sailing from Sydney to Tahiti.  Our itinerary includes Noumea, New Caledonia, Mystery Island, Vanuatu, Lautoka, Fiji, Pago Pago American Samoa, Bora Bora, Moorea and Papeete, Tahiti.  We are currently on our way to Bora bora.  I'll share briefly what we did snorkeling wise as it may help anyone planning.  

Noumea, New caledonia.  We went with Noumea turtle tours and booked a tour to Amedee Island.  This snorkeling was very good.  Turtles, nurse sharks, decent coral.  Island was beautiful to explore.  We brought our own tent, blow up chairs, snorkeling gear and drink plus protein bars.  The ship excursion was 2.5x the price we paid and was a herd of sheep.

Mystery Island.  No need for an excursion here.  Walk the path, pass the airport runway.  Keep looking on the right of path for a place to stake your claim.  Most beautiful drift snorkeling ever.  100x better than Klein Bonaire.

Lautoka Fiji.  This is a bit of a miss for snorkeling.  We did take a ship tour to Tivua island but it was not good at all.  Snorkeling was ok.  Similar to Cozumel Palancar and Columbia reefs.  You can go on your own.  My suggestion is to book the vendor and leave from Denereau.

American Samoa.  Easily so far the best snorkeling we have ever seen in the past 30 years.  We watched a family from the area on YouTube videos show their favorite snorkeling spots and oh boy they were correct!  Two dollar beach according to them is not worth it.  We went to Fagasa bay.  Snorkeled with dolphins, spectacular coral reefs and sea life.  It was truly amazing.  We took a cab here and paid him to stay.  He wasn't happy as all the cab drivers just go to 2 dollar but we were insistent that this was what we wanted.

When we get to a good wifi spot I will share my pictures.

This sounds great!  Does Fagasa have a sandy beach as well?  Thanks!

13 hours ago, Burncox said:

This sounds great!  Does Fagasa have a sandy beach as well?  Thanks!

not where we were.  Usually good snorkeling does not have decent beach or any.