Holland America - Seattle Departure for Alaska

We are first time cruisers and will be departing on 7/21 from Seattle on the Westderdam for an Alaska cruise.   We are flying into Seattle from Oakland, CA, the day before departure and I’m trying to figure out logistics.  Mainly, which hotel is best for the night before, in terms of proximity to cruise port, cruise port transportation, etc.   In particular, we have a 5-year old that requires a car seat so transport like shuttle buses/coaches, would be preferred over private passenger vehicle/van since the later requires car seats.   Thanks in advance for any suggestions/tips.  

Pier 91 is located away from the DT Seattle area, so your selection of a hotel should not be based on the proximity to the pier.

Most folks staying at hotels will arrive at Pier 91 by Uber/Lyft or taxi.  If you are not planning on exploring Seattle, you might look at: https://www.cedarbrooklodge.com/   This hotel is closer to SeaTac than DT Seattle, but it does have dining on site.

As for a child's car seat, you may have to bring your own with you.

• Like 2

Hi. We stayed near the airport, at a hotel that had free airport transportation. I think it was a Hampton Inn, and there were a couple of restaurants nearby for dinner.

We used Seattle Express to get us over to the ship in the morning, and also for return transportation to the airport at the end of the cruise. I can't say enough good things about them! Great customer service. We had a group of 8. They were recommended to me by the hotel. We'll definitely use them again.

• Like 2

You can pick just about any hotel in the Seattle area to stay at, proximity to the port is basically immaterial because Pier 91 is not near anything.  It is an entirely industrial and seafaring location which is only accessible through a series of odd surface street level interchanges and bridges.  So you aren't walking to port, and public transit isn't convenient to the port, at least not for travelers and their luggage.  There is a bus stop at the port, but the walk from the bus stop to the terminal is very long, and I think there is a set of stairs down from the bus stop that is on the bridge.  So you will need to shuttle/Uber/Lyft to/from the port.

That said @Ferry_Watcher's advice about the Ceaderbrook Lodge is excellent.  It is probably the best property down near SeaTac.  I've stayed there a couple of times and it is both enjoyable, picturesque, and upscale.  You barely know that you are near an airport.

Seattle Express is an excellent shuttle company.  I don't have any recent experience, but they continually get good "votes" here on the boards.  Nearly all the shuttles to the airport are passenger vans; older Ford E series wagons and the newer Ford Transit wagons.  When using any ground transportation service, you will get what they send you.  If your travel party is large, you may get something more akin to a shuttle bus, but if your travel party is just 3 or 4 of you at your pick up location it is unlikely that you will get anything more than a passenger van.

Generally speaking hotels do not provide shuttles to the port, you are on your own when it comes to getting from the hotel to the port.

I have cruised with children, even children younger than yours, and, generally speaking, find that Lyft/Uber drivers and cabbies do not make a big deal about booster seats.  Last year we used the hotel booked black SUV from the Ceaderbrook to Pier 91.  I helped the driver get all our bags on board, and my wife got our 8 y.o. daughter buckled up in the center seat of the back set.  My wife and I sat on either side of her and off we went.

I would advise against the hotel booked black car or black SUV because the trip plus tip was $100.  When we returned from the cruise we used UberXL and got a similar SUV to take us back to our car that was at Ceaderbrook and that was $76 including tip.  Same routine.  I helped the driver load up our bags and my wife got our daughter all secured.

We did carry with us a MiFold booster seat.  It lowers the seat belt to child height, but does require you to fish the seat belt through brackets to function.  If drivers showed concern we'd whip it out and use it.  If not... away we go.

We rented a Jeep in Juneau last year and the rental agency had a booster waiting for us when we picked up the vehicle.  Again, no need to bring one as they provide.

If you are very concerned, I'd look into the MiFold product line.  The style of seat we have is no longer in stock, but they have other products which are travel friendly.

• Like 1

Through the years we have stayed at Cedarbrook Lodge a number of times and love the property.  

With a child another consideration is the Marriott Waterfront.  It is located across from Pier 66 but in the past has offered a shuttle to Pier 91 (for a fee).  A number of child friendly attractions in close proximity.

• Like 1

Upvote #3.  We have used Seattle Express a number of times.  We also arrived day before and just didn't want to deal with logistics after traveling.  Also, Seattle Express will pick you up at one of the Sea Tac hotels.  My advice is arrive, stay in SeaTac if your time is limited, grab your hotel transfer at SeaTac and have Seattle Express pick you up next day.  

• Like 1

Excellent info everyone!  Sounds like Seattle Express is the way to go.  And also thank you for allaying my child/carseat etc. fears.   She's like 45+ pounds now and I think 45" or so, and will be more by the time July rolls around so, the MiFold or similar shoudl be well more than enough.  I just briefly checked Cedarbrook and my what a nice place.   Seeing as we're flying in in the afternoon for the predeparture night, we'll probably stay near the airport as it's not enough time to have a meaningful stay in downtown Seattle and do the tourist thing (that'll need to be a completely separate trip).   Once this segment of the trip is planned I can get down to the joy of picking which packages I want to order for the cruise (laundry? internet? drinks? etc. etc.)

• Like 1

If you are staying in the SeaTac area you'll need food.  Once you are on the ground and at your hotel your choices are hotel dining room food, which really is hit or miss, or you can try to go out.  There are a few chain restaurants in the area around International Blvd.  But you should at least consider a local place if your time in Seattle is limited.

Near SeaTac, on International Blvd., in an office complex, is a place called 13 Coins.  I remember them being 24 hours, however that has since changed, but they open early and stay open late.  They are within walking distance to a number of hotels near SeaTac, or a short Uber ride from the rest.

https://www.13coins.com/

I think you'll find their menu extensive.  My favorite of their restaurants in the one outside SeaTac, however on our last cruise we were in the Pioneer Square area after a Mariner's game and ate at that location.  It doesn't have the same cache as the SeaTac location, but the food was excellent.  Service is also attentive.  Restaurant and food prices in the Seattle area are astronomical, so be prepared.  But if you are going to pay and arm and a leg for food, it should at least be good.

I guess I'd just advise, don't be afraid to use Uber or Lyft while in the area, even if it is only to get to dinner after you get out of the airport and settled.