Cruising to Jamaica on Princess Sky ship

beshears

Some people on Cruise Critic do not know there is an area for Jamaica to ask questions. For those that do know know this, that is why I am asking my question here. If you have visited Ocho Rios in Jamaica on the Sky ship, would you give me your pros/cons of the ship and visiting this area as well?

11 minutes ago, beshears said:

Some people on Cruise Critic do not know there is an area for Jamaica to ask questions. For those that do know know this, that is why I am asking my question here. If you have visited Ocho Rios in Jamaica on the Sky ship, would you give me your pros/cons of the ship and visiting this area as well?

If you’re looking for information on Jamaica, I’d read the State Department information on traveling.  We no longer get off the ship at Jamaica stops. JMO

Go to:  Comprehensive 

Travel.state.gov

Search:  Jamaica travel advisory

The Sky, is a beautiful ship. The only thing we don’t like is the noise in the Piazza, when the ship is full. Volume..way too high.  

• Like 2

We've been to the two main Princess ports in Jamaica, Falmouth and Ocho Rios. We find them absolutely horrible places and will never get off the ship if we stop at either port.

• Like 1

We haven’t done Caribbean cruises in quite some time, but years ago we got off the ship once in Jamaica and never again.  I’ve heard that things are much worse now.  

Sky Princess is a beautiful Royal class ship and I’m sure you will enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, avonlady6390 said:

If you do get off I would suggest taking a princess sponsored excursions and if you walk thru a straw market no eye contact and just keep on walking.😀

The problem with Jamaica is that, in our experience, that doesn't work. In many cases, when you politely tell them you are not interested, they continue to harass you, even following along beside you for significant distances, getting increasingly harassing even mildly offensive when you continue to POLITELY refuse their offers. In Ocho Rios one time, we had a taxi driver get almost aggressive with us, finally saying "Why don't you like Jamaica, mon". Local vendors in many Caribbean countries can be quite the nuisance (think Coz and Cabo for example), but they usually leave you alone after a single "No thanks, not interested" NOT SO JAMAICA.

Edited by lx200gps
  • Like 1