Western Med on Escape vs. Italy/Greece on Epic

Which would you choose an why?  I've never been to any of the places on either itinerary, and having trouble deciding.  I'm leaning towards Italy/Greece, but would love input from the CC hive mind!  Thanks.

Oh in that case, my preference would be Italy Greece.

I did both because I am European and I think Italy Greece is more sophisticated than Spain and France for cruise itineraries. However both are huge ships and I would also prefer smaller ship. Are those available for your dates?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maanio said:

Oh in that case, my preference would be Italy Greece.

I did both because I am European and I think Italy Greece is more sophisticated than Spain and France for cruise itineraries. However both are huge ships and I would also prefer smaller ship. Are those available for your dates?

Thanks.  For the dates I am looking at, I think it is only larger ships with these itineraries.  I think the Pearl is doing a Greece Isles itinerary, but I wouldn't get the combo with Italy.  Your comment is helpful - I was leaning towards Italy/Greece, but feeling a little stuck because I want to see everything.  A lot of the Spain/France ports on the western med cruise seem more provincial beach town with less of cultural interest, although surely beautiful and relaxing.  Again, thanks for the input -  much appreciated.

Posted (edited)

don't know when you're thinking about cruising but the Norwegian Dawn has a great itinerary April 22, 2025 and it is priced reasonably

Edited by kjquilts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, garnet115 said:

Which would you choose an why?  I've never been to any of the places on either itinerary, and having trouble deciding.  I'm leaning towards Italy/Greece, but would love input from the CC hive mind!  Thanks.

It sounds like you are willing to do both itineraries and even hope to do both someday.  If that is the case, pick the ship that you like the best.

For us, that would be the Escape, hands down, over the Epic. Do Greece/Italy, but on a different ship.  Just one cruiser's opinion 

3 hours ago, garnet115 said:

If it is for the itinerary: Italy/greece.

If it is for the ship: the escape

• Like 1

4 hours ago, garnet115 said:

It depends on time of year. I would stay away mid June ot beginning of Sept. Not only is it super hot but there will be lots of kids everywhere.

Personally, having done the Med 3 times, I would do Italy/Greece especially if it has stops on some of the Greek Islands.

Also, in my opinion, the Pearl, being a smaller ship will just be more fun that a larger ship with many more passengers.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.  I am cruising solo and looking at a May cruise, so the weather and weird bathroom layout are hopefully non issues.  

The consensus seems to be that Italy/Greece is a better itinerary, so I will likely go with that one.  I'm a little wary of Epic, but on such a port intensive itinerary, I am less concerned about the ship. 

Again, many thanks for the feedback, and happy sailing to all!

Edited by garnet115
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, garnet115 said:

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.  I am cruising solo and looking at a May cruise, so the weather and weird bathroom layout are hopefully non issues.  

The consensus seems to be that Italy/Greece is a better itinerary, so I will likely go with that one.  I'm a little wary of Epic, but on such a port intensive itinerary, I am less concerned about the ship. 

Again, many thanks for the feedback, and happy sailing to all!

May is perfect. The tourist season is starting and everyone will be eager to host you. We also do our cruising in May and September.

The bathroom thing in Italy is pretty good nowadays. Most are real and not just a hole in the floor LOL

You will love the Greek Islands.

I suggest ship excursions if you are solo.

Oh and, there is some importance to the ship. It has to be comfortable to relax on and, you will have a couple sea days.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

The bathroom thing in Italy is pretty good nowadays. Most are real and not just a hole in the floor LOL

Hahaha - I was referring to the "weird bathroom thing" on Epic, not Italy generally!

Thanks for the advice.

2 minutes ago, garnet115 said:

Hahaha - I was referring to the "weird bathroom thing" on Epic, not Italy generally!

Thanks for the advice.

Sorry, never been on the Epic so I have not idea what the "weird bathroom thing"  is. 😀

Been to Italy many time, used to do business there. Have been to lots of restaurants that had porcelain holes in the floor bathrooms LOL

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Sorry, never been on the Epic so I have not idea what the "weird bathroom thing"  is. 😀

Been to Italy many time, used to do business there. Have been to lots of restaurants that had porcelain holes in the floor bathrooms LOL

The Epic has a bizarre curtain situation. If you’re dropping a deuce, everyone else inside is going to know it, and if one of your cabin mates happens to enter, well…they’ll likely know you better than ever before.

• Haha 1

I have done a 10-day cruise on the Escape combined with land stay and we went all over Italy, Malta, and 3 Greek islands. It was awesome and exhausting! 9 ports! We are going back to Italy for 2 weeks in October and then hopping on the Prima for TA back stopping in Livorno, 5 -6 places in Italy, France, Portugal, and the Azores. We found we just have to go back, so much to see!

Originally we were going to the Epic back as a TA from Rome because it was cheap and relaxing but my mom hated the bathroom and our cruise was cancelled so we rebooked on the Prima. I will say that the Epic cruise was going to be 1/3 of the Prima and had 2 ports...so now our relaxing TA just got pricer and more exciting! 

I think you'll love whatever you choose!

• Like 1