A Different Way of Looking at Plus/Premier

Drew B 58

By canadian standards, the cost of the frozen alcoholic drinks is cheap at around 10 or ll dollars. You are probably looking at 10.00 for a mocktai in canada. I guess in the states drinks are cheaper.

37 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I have never bought wifi on a cruise - even with the old Best. Sale.Ever.  you could get Best2DG  so the 'value' of the wifi for us is $-0- in any package evaluation.

So, currently in the $60 PLUS - $16grats = $44 for ALL other - ALL

that's about 3 Princess pours of a decent Cab - Port day or not

I feel the same way.  Have never bought wifi and never will. So our 44 is covered by 3 drinks at Good Spirits.  Then all of the other components of the package is gravy.

2 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

By canadian standards, the cost of the frozen alcoholic drinks is cheap at around 10 or ll dollars. You are probably looking at 10.00 for a mocktai in canada. I guess in the states drinks are cheaper.

No, drinks are cheaper on Princess.  A bottle of Blue Moon or a bottle of Michelob Ultra is 7.50 on Princess.  They are both 11.00 on Celebrity and not covered by their standard drink package.

6 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

MedallionNet 1-device WiFi: $14.99

It's $24.99 now.

5 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

It doesn't matter if you do drink the limit, they have it priced so they make money regardless

Of course, they have. But it's not like I can get an alcoholic drink for less than $2 or a soda for 25 cents. And wifi isn't free even though they've paid for the equipment to provide it several times over. Therefore, IMO, what Princess really spends to provide us with those things is irrelevant. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

The free drink perk on RCI is available throughout the day from any bar or dining venue.  On Celebrity, which we haven't been on for a few years,  it was limited to the happy hour.  Like 5 to 7 pm or something like that.   The old days of having to go the a specific lounge are gone, which I think is a good thing.  

I might have a soda during the day.  Maybe two if I'm adventuresome.  I must lead a pretty boring life.  Lol.   

I haven't sailed RCI in over 20 years so I know nothing about their perk program.

2 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

You get the bar set up in your room, and you bring a bottle of wine on board, which seems like it's enough.  But, I do have two questions.  One, you said you renew supply at each port.  How is this possible?  Thought you could only bring a bottle on board at embarkation.  Or do you cruise exclusively in Europe and it's allowed on the other side of the pond.  Two, where did you come up with 140 per day when Plus would be 120 and Premier would be 160?

We sail mostly in the Caribbean where all the ports have places where you can buy wine. We just carry it back with us & bring it to our room to enjoy.

Isn't the plus package $60 right now. Adding 16% brings it to $69. Times 2 = $140 for a 10 day trip.

2 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

You need to hit 80 nights on RCI to get your four free drinks once you earn Diamond status.  And it starts on the first cruise after 80, not during the cruise you hit 80 on.  And RCI, just like Carnival have no cost saving packages.  The big two get enough cruisers without needing to have packages as a marketing ploy.

I only need 11 more points and 4 drinks a day is plenty,

6 minutes ago, 555 said:

I haven't sailed RCI in over 20 years so I know nothing about their perk program.

We sail mostly in the Caribbean where all the ports have places where you can buy wine. We just carry it back with us & bring it to our room to enjoy.

Isn't the plus package $60 right now. Adding 16% brings it to $69. Times 2 = $140 for a 10 day trip.

I only need 11 more points and 4 drinks a day is plenty,

There is no tax or gratuities on the plus and premier packages, so it's a flat 60 or 80 per day.  We're not wine drinkers, so I'm very surprised you're able to just bring a bottle back on board at a Caribbean cruise port.  You certainly can't bring back a bottle of Grey Goose.  Everything gets scanned and then you have the naughty table that you're supposed to deposit your goodies so they hold it until the last night.

We're currently 8 points shy on RCI.  Have a 7 day booked for March on the Odyssey out of Bayonne.  Frustrating that our next cruise would not let us achieve the Diamond status perks.  

44 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

There is no tax or gratuities on the plus and premier packages, so it's a flat 60 or 80 per day.  We're not wine drinkers, so I'm very surprised you're able to just bring a bottle back on board at a Caribbean cruise port.  You certainly can't bring back a bottle of Grey Goose.  Everything gets scanned and then you have the naughty table that you're supposed to deposit your goodies so they hold it until the last night.

We're currently 8 points shy on RCI.  Have a 7 day booked for March on the Odyssey out of Bayonne.  Frustrating that our next cruise would not let us achieve the Diamond status perks.  

sorry, you can't compare liquor to wine bringing on board

3 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

The discussion is not about a soda package.  It's about all of the various components of the Plus package @ 60.00.  Over 50% of the package is gratuities and wifi.  You then have medallion shipping, casual meals, and ocean now activation as three different components before you even start mentioning the drinks package.

You state that the beverages in the package are not healthy.  Is fresh squeezed OJ, an espresso or bottled water not healthy?  I can see if you only drink hot tea, hot coffee and tap water, so you'd be against the package but please don't blow smoke and imply that all of the components of the drinks package are all unhealthy.

Fresh OJ and espresso have health benefits if consumed in moderation.  If I bought a package, I would not consume them in moderation.  I would also consume sugary drinks.  Having to pay for each drink stops me from doing all of this. I will only drink the beverages that are included and won't eat any premium deserts.

I get Internet at a 50% discount since I am a platinum Captain's Circle member. I probably won't even get that.  Anything I will use the Internet for can wait until I get to into port. There are other ways people can reach me in an emergency.  

• Like 1

What I'm seeing in this thread is that different people have different math.

The package is the package, and for some people it absolutely doesn't pencil out. Some folks are used to minimizing expenditures on vacation, so they'll drink only the "included" fluids and food. Others do not need nor want WiFi. Others remove the gratuity (the less said about that, the better).

Others like to keep a buzz on when on holiday, or don't feel they've had the full experience without gourmet dining. Personally, I'm gonna have 5-6 shots of espresso per day and at least a couple of drinks, need WiFi for monitoring things back home and fielding occasional work questions, and enjoy trying out the range of dining on the ship.

Every single variation uses "the math."

AKA "you do you."

And since the price of the packages is not outrageous, it really does allow people to lower their costs when they are really not going to use that stuff. The only "gotchas" tend to be people who don't get the package, but then give in to their weaknesses (whether drinks, dining, or Instagram) after setting sail. And again, only you can determine that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacMadame said:

But it's not like I can get an alcoholic drink for less than $2

That's what they value it at with plus, but actually probably less since the drinks total includes other items.

I never said plus wasn't a good deal for those who partake of all the available drink options, but it doesn't work for us because we don't drink what they offer.

I was refuting the underlying comments from some that think everyone that isn't buying the package is somehow missing out.

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

sorry, you can't compare liquor to wine bringing on board

I was under the impression that you were allowed to bring a single bottle of wine on board on embarkation day only while cruising in the Caribbean.  Did not realize that you could bring on additional bottles via each port visit.  We don't drink wine, so it doesn't matter to us one way or another.  I know things are different with European ports.

1 hour ago, Cap-n Andy said:

Fresh OJ and espresso have health benefits if consumed in moderation.  If I bought a package, I would not consume them in moderation.  I would also consume sugary drinks.  Having to pay for each drink stops me from doing all of this. I will only drink the beverages that are included and won't eat any premium deserts.

I get Internet at a 50% discount since I am a platinum Captain's Circle member. I probably won't even get that.  Anything I will use the Internet for can wait until I get to into port. There are other ways people can reach me in an emergency.  

So basically you could possibly make the package work without consuming alcohol but if you did buy the package you would over consume on fresh OJ and espresso and you figure you can just do without.  Understand.

13 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

There is no tax or gratuities on the plus and premier packages, so it's a flat 60 or 80 per day. 

Sorry, now I'll have to give it some more thought. 

We're not wine drinkers, so I'm very surprised you're able to just bring a bottle back on board at a Caribbean cruise port.  You certainly can't bring back a bottle of Grey Goose.  Everything gets scanned and then you have the naughty table that you're supposed to deposit your goodies so they hold it until the last night.

Your suppose to check your purchases in but many people just walk right past the check-in table and go straight to their cabin.

13 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

I just got my confirmation this morning about them having my account. 😊

14 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

So basically you could possibly make the package work without consuming alcohol but if you did buy the package you would over consume on fresh OJ and espresso and you figure you can just do without.  Understand.

That is correct.  Every day I would be dong the math in my head as to whether or no I was getting my money's worth. I would consume things I did not have an appetite for just to get what I paid for. 

Several questions need to be answered before you decide whether to get a package

• Does the math make sense for what YOU plan to use
  • Will the package help you enjoy YOUR vacation more by lowering stress, containing costs, etc.
  • Do you have perks from being Platinum or Elite that are the same as the package benefits
  • Will getting the package encourage to "indulge" more than you should either in alcoholic or sugary drinks, too much time on the internet or something else that would cause your cruise to be less enjoyable or negatively impact your health

Think about those questions and then make the decision that's best for YOU.

For us, we got the package so we could pay it and forget it.  That will let US enjoy our trip more.  I seriously doubt we'll change our behavior much.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

So basically you could possibly make the package work without consuming alcohol but if you did buy the package you would over consume on fresh OJ and espresso and you figure you can just do without.

What is this concept of "over-consuming espresso" of which you speak? 😀

I think my recent cruise on the Emerald topped out at about 10 shots one day - always doubles. (At home my normal consumption is a full pot of strong, home-brewed coffee, so not far off.)

1 hour ago, PR-Texas said:

Several questions need to be answered before you decide whether to get a package

• Does the math make sense for what YOU plan to use
  • Will the package help you enjoy YOUR vacation more by lowering stress, containing costs, etc.
  • Do you have perks from being Platinum or Elite that are the same as the package benefits
  • Will getting the package encourage to "indulge" more than you should either in alcoholic or sugary drinks, too much time on the internet or something else that would cause your cruise to be less enjoyable or negatively impact your health

Think about those questions and then make the decision that's best for YOU.

For us, we got the package so we could pay it and forget it.  That will let US enjoy our trip more.  I seriously doubt we'll change our behavior much.  

My behavior always changes on vacation, whether on a ship or a plane/road trip. I drink a bit more, eat a bit more, and somehow both relax more AND adventure more. 

That's why they call it "vacation." Now, I'm not staying in 5-star hotels or drinking top-shelf, but I don't need those to enjoy myself, while I do enjoy trying a variety of food and getting an occasional slight buzz if I'm not driving.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

What is this concept of "over-consuming espresso" of which you speak? 😀

I think my recent cruise on the Emerald topped out at about 10 shots one day - always doubles. (At home my normal consumption is a full pot of strong, home-brewed coffee, so not far off.)

My behavior always changes on vacation, whether on a ship or a plane/road trip. I drink a bit more, eat a bit more, and somehow both relax more AND adventure more. 

That's why they call it "vacation." Now, I'm not staying in 5-star hotels or drinking top-shelf, but I don't need those to enjoy myself, while I do enjoy trying a variety of food and getting an occasional slight buzz if I'm not driving.

The overconsumption was based on a previous post by Cap_n Andy, who stated that he didn't like to over consume on espresso and fresh squeezed OJ.

Personally I enjoy a good double espresso, usually over ice.  But on Princess I enjoy their flat white and will consume a few over our 14 days on the Enchanted this August.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

You will note that I said I doubt our behavior changes MUCH.  This is a once in a lifetime trip so we'll plan to go home with lots of great memories but hopefully no more weight!

• Like 1