Just back today - 3 Night MSC MAGNIFICA Cruise - Impressions & Photos

eroller

Posted (edited)
LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

eroller was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Attached below in a link to ship photos, menus, daily programs, and a few videos.  I tried to photograph most of the ship.  This cruise departed Miami on April 12, 2024 for three nights to Key West and Nassau.  MSC MAGNIFICA is a midsized ship at 95,000gt and 2550 pax (double occupancy).  She recently turned 15 years old so definitely not brand new. MSC has used her twice for world cruises and this is her first ever season in North America.  

Like all MSC ships she is very well maintained.  She is showing her age in the decor department but somehow I find it quaint, because it reminds me a little of how cruising used to be. One lounge flows into the next and there are an incredible amount of bars (17 I think).  Even a traditional disco. There are also 4 sets of elevator/stair towers spaced evenly along the length of the ship.  Ships are just not designed this way anymore and you’re lucky to have two sets of elevators/stairs on the mega ships of today.  This was a full sailing and she feels quite spacious and never a wait for an elevator.  There is a traditional promenade deck under the lifeboats and it’s wonderful, but it’s void of any seating which is unfortunate.  It’s great for strolling though and while not full 360 wrap-around it’s a horseshoe around the front. 

On this short 3-day cruise MSC puts on three full production shows and they are damn good. A big cast and some really excellent singers (more Broadway quality than cruise ship). MSC tends to excel at entertainment and puts on some great shows. Live music is prevalent as well and you literally stroll from one lounge to the next with a different genre of live music playing.  This ship is very alive at night. 

I was in cabin 10060, a standard balcony cabin.  As blue is my favorite color I absolutely loved the cabin.  If you like blue, pick on cabin on Deck 10 as they are all blue.  They will be a different color on other decks.  The cabin was cozy and nicely finished, with a standard bathroom with small shower and the dreaded shower curtain.  The balcony is quite narrow but large enough for a couple chairs and a table.  A/C worked great and I never heard anything from other cabins.  I also loved the location close to the forward elevators and my cabin stewardess Connie was excellent.  I was originally booked in an obstructed ocean view on Deck 8, but bid for an upgrade ($35 per person/$70 total) for a partial view balcony.  About 2-3 days prior to the cruise the upgrade came through, and I was assigned this great cabin with no obstruction.  I highly recommend it. 

Service was friendly and efficient and food just ok. It’s not superb but you won’t starve.  We ate in the dining room each evening and it tends to feel very busy.  I felt the buffet has improved since my previous MSC cruises. There still isn't the variety and selection like you might find on NCL or Royal Caribbean, but it was certainly adequate. As always on MSC the pizza was excellent as was the soft serve with unlimited toppings  I quite liked the burgers and fries as well. Cuisine has never been MSC’s strong suit and it still isn't, but it's catching up especially as the other mainstream lines dumb down their dining budget.  

Back to decor, MSC loves red, purple, blue, green, rust, brown, mustard, and burnt orange.  You will even find these colors on the new MSC ships.  Lots of suede and velour seating and plenty of shiny surfaces.  While not new any more, it's all very well kept. This style of decor is typical of MSC and some of it reminds me of Home Lines and the Italian Line from a bygone era.  The ship also smells like a true ship. It’s a combination of varnish, fuel, a/c, a hint of cigarette smoke, and MSC’s cleaning solution which I love. Carnival’s ships used to have a certain smell as well (that I loved) but those days are over.  

Anyway those are the highlights.  Overall a great experience on a nice ship for an inexpensive getaway. Lastly a very international passenger mix for a short cruise and very diverse. Again this is more typical of MSC.  They attract a lot of Europeans and South Americans but I was surprised to see so many on this short cruise.  Even India and the Middle East were represented. Everyone was well behaved and I witnessed none of that horrible behavior another nameless cruise line is becoming notorious for.  Just people from all walks of life enjoying themselves.   

Would I recommend this cruise?  Absolutely but you have to put your expectations in line with what you’re paying and remember it’s not a brand new ship.  Also MSC beats to its own drum and for me at least that is part of the charm. They are not NCL, Carnival, Royal, etc. They do things a bit differently and you shouldn’t expect a clone of those other lines. As the saying goes … when in Rome.

Pictures Link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eroller/albums/72177720316239370

Edited by eroller
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

On 4/15/2024 at 8:30 PM, eroller said:

Also MSC beats to its own drum and for me at least that is part of the charm. They are not NCL, Carnival, Royal, etc. They do things a bit differently and you shouldn’t expect a clone of those other lines. As the saying goes … when in Rome.

Perfectly said!

• Like 2

Currently on Magnifica, first non YC cruise since 2019. Would do it again, but the main dining non Aurea, is very crowded. Lunch in the buffet is square pizza, that was not very good, but late in the buffet they had the round very good pizza. Full sailing but doesn’t seem like it!

We are Diamond, finally got our Prosecco delivered to the room on day two, dinner tonight in specialty restaurant!

Agree with rest of review!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

Wowser!  I hope everyone clicks on your "Pictures Link" in the OP, because your photos are the best ever! 😁

Thank you!  Much appreciated.  

I just booked a 3 day (Key West and Ocean Cay) on this ship for November 1, 2024 prior to a work trip in Disney.  No YC but no biggie as we are only on for 3 days and ship is pretty small plus passenger count is low.  We did get Aurea just to try it.  

• Like 1

Great review and pics!!!  Doing our first MSC sailing on Magnifica this Friday!  Your review really helps temper our expectations.  Not sure if you’re a drinker but wondering if you remember how the bottled beer is served.  Are they regular 12 oz bottles or larger cans (Carnival serves the larger cans). Wondering for koozie planning purposes.  LOL. 

Thanks again for a great review. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 12:49 PM, cruiseboys said:

Great review and pics!!!  Doing our first MSC sailing on Magnifica this Friday!  Your review really helps temper our expectations.  Not sure if you’re a drinker but wondering if you remember how the bottled beer is served.  Are they regular 12 oz bottles or larger cans (Carnival serves the larger cans). Wondering for koozie planning purposes.  LOL. 

Thanks again for a great review. 

Glad you enjoyed the review and pics!

I do drink but not a beer drinker so can't help you.  I can tell you that a Bacardi and Diet Coke is $10.62 total including tip.  That is more than Virgin ($6) but less than most mainstream lines like Royal, NCL, and Carnival. 

Bon Voyage and enjoy your cruise!

On 4/25/2024 at 10:53 PM, eroller said:

I just got off the Magnifica - Beer was served in regular 12oz cans and bottles. I highly recommend the Easy Plus Drink Package. This package covers all beers, fruity drinks, frozen drinks, specialty coffee, bottles of  flat and sparkling water. The liquor served in theis package was brands, Tito's Vodka, Bacardi and Cap. Morgan Rum, etc....

Glad you enjoyed the review and pics!

I do drink but not a beer drinker so can't help you.  I can tell you that a Bacardi and Diet Coke is $10.62 total including tip.  That is more than Virgin ($6) but less than most mainstream lines like Royal, NCL, and Carnival. 

Bon Voyage and enjoy your cruise!