LIVE from Odyssey of the Seas Transatlantic April 21, 2024 thru May 5, 2024

1 hour ago, Joe33472 said:

We definitely making our way to Windjammer tomorrow morning, then!  Just soaking up all this ship has to offer.  

I hope you don't mind me adding my two cents to this thread. I love talking about Odyssey.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

Went to brunch and we really didn't care for what we selected.  Had both had fresh squeezed OJ and it was warm and my cappuccino was cold.  I opted for chicken and waffles and it wasn't good.   My girlfriend opted for french toast which she didn't like much.  

IMG_2261.thumb.JPG.96f85018ac85bb3f20a573c0c052858b.JPG

IMG_2263.thumb.jpeg.89cc8e80a561e77b79a434b192263ddc.jpeg

Since we didn't eat much of anything for breakfast, we decided to have a snack at Playmakers which we really enjoyed.  We split the onion ring tower and a hamburger.  Both were really great.   Had a Black and Gold cocktail, which was really tasty.   It's five o'clock somewhere, right?   We didn't finish the onion rings or the burger and fries.   Need to save some room for Wonderland tonight for an early dinner. 

IMG_2268.thumb.jpeg.4be12f02f402548420a3669d9341b6dd.jpeg

I have my meeting with my boss in about 1/2 hour, I think it will be short.  

@Joe33472 we love the onion rings but if the order is only for two people, I do think it’s too much. A half order would be terrific. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I hope you don't mind me adding my two cents to this thread. I love talking about Odyssey.

@Ocean Boy  we are hoping to cruise on the odyssey sometime soon.  We have been on the quantum (inaugural) and the anthem 3 times. Would love to know what your thoughts are regarding experience. Just based on deck plans, I would say addition of Izumi hibachi and playmakers are a plus for sure. Thanks!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Of course, the more the merrier!   We just went to Windjammer to look around and we were really impressed.  

33 minutes ago, maggieq said:

@Joe33472 we love the onion rings but if the order is only for two people, I do think it’s too much. A half order would be terrific. 

Totally agree at 1/2 order would be great.  We absolutely couldn't finish the onion rings or the burger we split.  We only ate a couple of the french fries too.   Way too much food. 

• Like 1

A little, sort of, secret that took me some time to find. Go up to deck 14, port side, all the way aft to the sky pad (big orange, kind of ugly structure). There is a stairway that brings you up to an over the water walkway. I was pretty timid walking on it the first time. Ok, I was kind of timid the second and third times too!

20230201_060122.thumb.jpg.448011b03820b9ed552093e0f9d1f15e.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just got back from dinner at Wonderland.  That was our best meal so far.   The short rib dish was tender and delicious.   We loved the World dessert.   We've seen a ton of videos online and thought the World was mostly hype, but it's actually quite good, although very sweet. 

We also had the apple dessert, which I think has a really strange consistency and wasn't overly tasty.  I had the pork, which was okay.   We also liked the deconstructed Caprese salad.   Our waiter, Mario, made for a very nice dining experience, our best service so far.   Overall, it was a great experience and we're going to keep our other reservation later in the cruise.   

As far as drinks, we started with the Cheshire Cat Cosmos and enjoyed those.  I also had the smoke rings and was pleasantly surprised.   The bourbon was very nice.   Almost like a Manhattan, but a bit more sweet.   My girlfriend followed up with a down the rabbit hole with the red pill.   She liked it good enough.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

A little, sort of, secret that took me some time to find. Go up to deck 14, port side, all the way aft to the sky pad (big orange, kind of ugly structure). There is a stairway that brings you up to an over the water walkway. I was pretty timid walking on it the first time. Ok, I kind of timid the second and third times too!

Going to look for this tomorrow!  Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maggieq said:

@Ocean Boy  we are hoping to cruise on the odyssey sometime soon.  We have been on the quantum (inaugural) and the anthem 3 times. Would love to know what your thoughts are regarding experience. Just based on deck plans, I would say addition of Izumi hibachi and playmakers are a plus for sure. Thanks!

I can't really compare Odessey to her sisters as she is the only Q class ship that I have been on. I love the V/F/O class ships. I really like Royal Pronenades and thought I would miss it. But I ended up also liking the Royal Esplanade. Odyssey has plenty of activity and also very nice places for down time. I definitely suffer from FOMO and though I love O class I find that I don't relax much as there is always something going on. I miss the Aqua Theater when on Odyssey but there is plenty that I like to make up for it. I don't think Q class entertainment matches up to O class. There are plenty of food options, I really like her Schooner Bar and Pub. The enclosed solarium comes in very handy at times. I've been in there during rain storms and sometimes just to get out of the Caribbean heat.

I think she is a very classy ship and I have really enjoyed the vibe each time that I've sailed her. And since I am a big Windjammer person, it is an area of Odyssey that I really appreciate for its design, function, and food.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Going to look for this tomorrow!  Thanks!

Another little secret...  While you are up there notice the floor panel that is made of metal. That is what replaced the glass panel that cracked.😉🙂

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I can't really compare Odessey to her sisters as she is the only Q class ship that I have been on. I love the V/F/O class ships. I really like Royal Pronenades and thought I would miss it. But I ended up also liking the Royal Esplanade. Odyssey has plenty of activity and also very nice places for down time. I definitely suffer from FOMO and though I love O class I find that I don't relax much as there is always something going on. I miss the Aqua Theater when on Odyssey but there is plenty that I like to make up for it. I don't think Q class entertainment matches up to O class. There are plenty of food options, I really like her Schooner Bar and Pub. The enclosed solarium comes in very handy at times. I've been in there during rain storms and sometimes just to get out of the Caribbean heat.

I think she is a very classy ship and I have really enjoyed the vibe each time that I've sailed her. And since I am a big Windjammer person, it is an area of Odyssey that I really appreciate for its design, function, and food.

@Ocean Boy agree on the windjammer on q class. It is set up very well  we love the oasis class best for cruising Allure #1 solely because of mama Mia. We saw it for the first time on quantum.  Oasis now for aqua 80 and  symphony for hiro.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

A little, sort of, secret that took me some time to find. Go up to deck 14, port side, all the way aft to the sky pad (big orange, kind of ugly structure). There is a stairway that brings you up to an over the water walkway. I was pretty timid walking on it the first time. Ok, I was kind of timid the second and third times too!

Thanks! Definitely going to check this out! (I call the Sky Pad “The Wart”).

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Just got back from dinner at Wonderland.  That was our best meal so far.   The short rib dish was tender and delicious.   We loved the World dessert.   We've seen a ton of videos online and thought the World was mostly hype, but it's actually quite good, although very sweet. 

We also had the apple dessert, which I think has a really strange consistency and wasn't overly tasty.  I had the pork, which was okay.   We also liked the deconstructed Caprese salad.   Our waiter, Mario, made for a very nice dining experience, our best service so far.   Overall, it was a great experience and we're going to keep our other reservation later in the cruise.   

As far as drinks, we started with the Cheshire Cat Cosmos and enjoyed those.  I also had the smoke rings and was pleasantly surprised.   The bourbon was very nice.   Almost like a Manhattan, but a bit more sweet.   My girlfriend followed up with a down the rabbit hole with the red pill.   She liked it good enough.

We had Mario too. He offered to surprise us with the appetizers and dessert and just pick the mains, we did ao and I think there were only a couple starters he didn’t serve. Standouts were the Mad Hatter’s Shrimp and the Liquid Lobster. I also had the short rib and it was very tasty. My wife had the Branzino in Cripsy Bread which was also very good. Loved the “World” dessert. Less so the Forbidden Apple.

Really liked the Smoke Rings cocktail, too.

• Like 2

I thought we'd drink a lot more today, since it was our first full day, but we only drank what we wanted and still broke even.   I think that this is only possible because the DBP was affordably priced.  If the package was $70 or $80 pppd then I think that the math wouldn't favor the package.

image.png.2afb205e0deb50988457c7b6266e5710.png

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, maggieq said:

We were just on Anthem in December so I think I have a good POV for comparison. For Odyssey, Playmakers is a big plus. May be the only place to get good beer on a Royal ship. I like El Loco Fresh in place of Johnny Rockets (though the shakes are missed). Dog Haus is missing but isn’t a big loss,IMO. I think I like Giovanni’s Kitchen over Jamie’s. I’m glad we have a couple more lunches there during this trip purchased during the various sales.

The lack of an indoor pool (the one underneath North Star is open to the elements on Odyssey, enclosed on Anthem) isn’t a problem on this cruise, but will be a bit of a downside when she’s doing winter sailings from Bayonne.

Edited by GimmeOcean
  • Like 3

Good morning!  Ship was rocking a little last night and it's overcast and the sea has whitecaps.   

Charging my watch on the wall just makes me smile.   Not only does it save space on the desk area, it's just fun to look at.  Wonder how I could do this at home 🤣

Heading off soon to Windjammer to check it out.  

IMG_2288.thumb.JPG.6af2ec5a83e37da2f80ea3bcce054d1e.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

MDR food and service has been excellent so far. WJ breakfast has been great, very well designed space. 
Hot-tubs are luke-warm at best. 
Cabin showers are great, good pressure and hot water. 
Comedian was very good. 

There are less then 200 kids on board so no issues with any of them. 
Lots of pinnacles, but not enough to kick us out of the diamond lounge, we are only having some restricted hours of the day. 
The venues are great, a few choke points when shows get out but good for people watching. 
A great cruise so far and very impressed with the Odyssey. 

• Like 2

Just wondering if there is a place on the TV that provides weather updates.  I see the cruise map channel with temperature, speed, and direction.  But was wondering about weather.    I was looking on Windy.com this morning and it looks like some wavy weather on our way to Ponta Delgada...

image.png.db063717f97132fc79551a1252284143.png

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Not so secret now! I will check it out in August. 

@Joe33472 Thanks for the live! Looking forward to being on this ship.

There was just an announcement that we're making a detour to to Bermuda for a health emergency of a crew member.  Thoughts and prayers with the crew member.    🙏

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

There was just an announcement that we're making a detour to to Bermuda for a health emergency of a crew member.  Thoughts and prayers with the crew member.    🙏

Hope everybody is fine.  we have made two emergency stops at Bermuda, both on Anthem.  We stayed out at the entry of the channel and literally anchored one time. They will most likely come out to pick up the crew member.  Be sure to be on the top deck as it is an interesting process to watch play out.  Dan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Hope everybody is fine.  we have made two emergency stops at Bermuda, both on Anthem.  We stayed out at the entry of the channel and literally anchored one time. They will most likely come out to pick up the crew member.  Be sure to be on the top deck as it is an interesting process to watch play out.  Dan

My girlfriend said that she wanted to watch the transfer, but I'm generally don't like to see things like that, but now that you say it's interesting, I'll definitely accompany her up on the top deck.  I think that they said 7:00 p.m.

• Like 2