LIVE from Odyssey of the Seas Transatlantic April 21, 2024 thru May 5, 2024

Received the laundry offer today when we came back from lunch.   I might be able to get past the 1 million degree Fahrenheit wash and dry, but not sure if I can get past the washing laundry in the same load as other peoples stuff.    We have a co-op in NYC and there is communal laundry, but not laundry at the same time as others.   But not throwing the offer away, because I might get desperate for laundered clothing at some point.  The bag is like I expected from watching videos online.  We're going to hand wash in the sink for now.  

IMG_2307.thumb.JPG.b4ea59594297c1f4442b6d7b8fb7fb88.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RobInMN said:

That's why we pack a universal remote with our Firestick. Then you have access to a Source button.

Also, Odyssey has the newer interactive system (as you show). When we were on Odyssey, our experience was that we had to unplug the network cable and power cycle the TV before we could actually change the source. With the network cable plugged in, it force-launched the custom software as the top priority which usually (or used to?) prevent you from changing the source, effectively disabling all other inputs. I've had to do that in some hotels also.

but @GenSteve, my main suggestion would be to get an inexpensive universal remote and take that.

I also use a VPN. One other thing I've found is that my Firestick does not have a GPS, so that's all I need. However, if I try to watch some streaming services (like YTTV) from a device with a GPS, they will refuse to launch if the GPS is disabled, and if the GPS is enabled, it ignores the VPN for location and goes by the GPS location, allowing it to Geo-lock the content anyway 😞. I would suspect that a Roku also doesn't have a GPS.  

I was debating whether to buy a Firestick or another Roku prior to the cruise and ultimately decided on the Roku since that's what we use at home and I'm familiar with the interface.   Good to know about the universal remote.  I'm looking at the Roku remote (which I was able to get paired with the TV) and don't see a source button :classic_sad: 

We went to Chops Grille for lunch and it was really good.  We both had hamburgers and some sides.  I think we prefer the taste of the hamburger at Playmakers rather than the Chops hamburger.   The sides weren't overly hot, except for the potato bites which were warm and very tasty.    We really didn't order all this food ourselves, again some was unsolicited, so we didn't feel badly about not eating everything.   I had the warm chocolate cake was great.  I really enjoyed that.   The waiter, Mohamed, was great.  Very friendly and attentive to our needs. 

IMG_2302.thumb.JPG.4982352db287dc554bbac84c5fd6edd3.JPG

IMG_2305.thumb.JPG.7c7cda07cc8ae7ae8f248b473da60ad1.JPG

• Like 3

We ate at Giovanis for lunch. The meatball was excellent, the pizza was not much better than Sorento’s, and the desserts were great. 
Very disappointed in the pizza, i expected it to be much better, but thought I would give it a try before we get to real pizza in Rome and Naples. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Received the laundry offer today when we came back from lunch.   I might be able to get past the 1 million degree Fahrenheit wash and dry, but not sure if I can get past the washing laundry in the same load as other peoples stuff.    We have a co-op in NYC and there is communal laundry, but not laundry at the same time as others.   But not throwing the offer away, because I might get desperate for laundered clothing at some point.  The bag is like I expected from watching videos online.  We're going to hand wash in the sink for now.  

IMG_2307.thumb.JPG.b4ea59594297c1f4442b6d7b8fb7fb88.JPG

Hand washing works out pretty well. We brought some oversized zip lock bags to to laundry during our 26 night b2b.  It saved time being able to do more clothes at once.

Pro tip:  get a bunch of pool towels to roll the wet laundry in before hanging, to speed drying time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LooneyCruzer said:

We ate at Giovanis for lunch. The meatball was excellent, the pizza was not much better than Sorento’s, and the desserts were great. 
Very disappointed in the pizza, i expected it to be much better, but thought I would give it a try before we get to real pizza in Rome and Naples. 

I had the pizza last night, and agree with you, really thought that the pizza would be better than Sorrentos.  Maybe only marginally better.  Also agree that the desserts were great.  

5 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

Hand washing works out pretty well. We brought some oversized zip lock bags to to laundry during our 26 night b2b.  It saved time being able to do more clothes at once.

Pro tip:  get a bunch of pool towels to roll the wet laundry in before hanging, to speed drying time.

@3CatsInMA Thanks for the tip.  How do we get a bunch of pool towels?  We haven't be up to the pool and thought it was a check out system.  Are you able to check out a bunch of towels?  Thanks again. 

40 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Exactly!  USB-C to HDMI, like this one.   Purchased this cable from Amazon, but they might have one in the Photoshop or in Ponta Delgada if we're able to port.

IMG_2308.thumb.JPG.63624dbaac6921ff48b96483bd10111f.JPG

That explains it. I have an older iPad which doesn’t have USB-C.  

12 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

That explains it. I have an older iPad which doesn’t have USB-C.  

There are the same type of cable for lightening port to HDMI.   Like this one.  I bet you could pick one up at Ponta Delgada.  We'll still have a week remaining on the cruise, even at that point.

Amazon Lightening to HDMI

• Thanks 1

Looks like we're slowly catching up to the Oasis.  I'd love to see the Oasis at sea, would make some great photos.  The Oasis is traveling around 18 or 19 knots and we've been consistently traveling around 20 or 21 knots, so I think it's just a matter of time 😃

Screenshot2024-04-24124253.png.d65ea74b1ddb9dd3f21ad5bb18c71829.png

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

I had the pizza last night, and agree with you, really thought that the pizza would be better than Sorrentos.  Maybe only marginally better.  Also agree that the desserts were great.  

@3CatsInMA Thanks for the tip.  How do we get a bunch of pool towels?  We haven't be up to the pool and thought it was a check out system.  Are you able to check out a bunch of towels?  Thanks again. 

Yep, you need to check them out. I think I was getting 6 or 7 at a time and returning them soaking wet an hour later. Lol

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 3CatsInMA said:

Yep, you need to check them out. I think I was getting 6 or 7 at a time and returning them soaking wet an hour later. Lol

@3CatsInMA Thank you so much!  This is awesome.  I had no idea that you could check out that many towels.  We have some laundry hanging up now, but our next load we'll definitely get some towels.   Thanks again!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

@3CatsInMA Thank you so much!  This is awesome.  I had no idea that you could check out that many towels.  We have some laundry hanging up now, but our next load we'll definitely get some towels.   Thanks again!

No problem!

I'm enjoying following along with you.  It's taking me back to a year ago!

Looking forward to being on Odyssey again later this year out of Bayonne in December, and the westbound TA in October of '25.

• Like 1

When we were first planning this trip over a year ago (our first TA) we had no idea whether we'd be able to use our deck due to it being too cold at sea.  Today is a BEAUTIFUL day at sea, despite the waves and the boat rocking a bit, it's just gorgeous.   I wish there was a bit more sun on the deck, but that's okay too. 

IMG_2309.thumb.JPG.cf53306082045dcda3f8b11e75d4957f.JPG

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

Was thinking this morning that our room steward, Komang, has really been wonderful.   Very pleasant guy and so hard working.    Overall, I think that the crew has been really great and welcoming.   

Reflecting on our meals at the specialty restaurants so far, it's been a really slow dining process, but I think we just have to adjust our preferences to what happens at sea.    I see in the calendar that they've budgeted 2 hours for specialty dining reservations and it has been taking about 1 hour 45 minutes each visit.  So, they've been exceeding the expectation and getting us out "early", it's just a long time for us sitting in one place.  🤣

@Joe33472agree Komang is a great room steward. We must be on the same deck.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

Looks like we're slowly catching up to the Oasis.  I'd love to see the Oasis at sea, would make some great photos.  The Oasis is traveling around 18 or 19 knots and we've been consistently traveling around 20 or 21 knots, so I think it's just a matter of time 😃

Screenshot2024-04-24124253.png.d65ea74b1ddb9dd3f21ad5bb18c71829.png

We are gaining. This is with a 400mm lens and cropped a half hour or ao ago. I think we will catch up after dark.

5V3A1749.thumb.jpeg.1fa827452040e885944603057161749a.jpeg

Of course quite visible this morning while we both were still in Bermuda.

5V3A1585.thumb.jpeg.04a10202ce10bf2f886b985d33963c7a.jpeg

Edited by GimmeOcean
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, GimmeOcean said:

We are gaining. This is with a 400mm lens and cropped a half hour or ao ago. I think we will catch up after dark.

5V3A1749.thumb.jpeg.1fa827452040e885944603057161749a.jpeg

Of course quite visible this morning while we both were still in Bermuda.

5V3A1585.thumb.jpeg.04a10202ce10bf2f886b985d33963c7a.jpeg

Be careful with that camera, there could be some of these out there.

Good Luck on your crossing!

A ghostly yet mesmerizing image of a ship from 1900s. : r/pics

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl' Review: Original  Movie (2003)

Edited by Jimbo
  • Haha 13

We went to Solarium Bistro for a light dinner.   We enjoyed the Mediterranean fare and the format of a buffet with table service.   We particularly enjoyed the baklava and the various dipping sauces.  I took the roasted chicken and chopped it up and put it in my salad and it was fantastic.   I even tried the lamb (definitely outside my norm) which was cooked perfectly and tasted great. 

Beautiful moon tonight, it almost looks like the sun.  

IMG_2313.thumb.JPG.a822767d8e3479cbcdb365132d2ee767.JPG

Would love to see the Oasis as we pass by, but we're just wiped.  We're going to need a vacation from our vacation 😁

• Like 9

On 4/22/2024 at 7:38 AM, Joe33472 said:

The HDMI option on the TV, along with the Internet is working great.   Watching Today show using Xfinity Stream.   Slowly putting ourselves together for brunch. 

IMG_2258.thumb.jpeg.c71f58a1aa2d1e23a109627c0b9fbffd.jpeg

I really need to think about getting myself a USB to lightning cable before our September cruise. I have a very full schedule the next few days and even Amazon won’t get one here in time for our Allure sailing. I do plan to bring and try my Firestick. We’ll see how that goes.

On 4/23/2024 at 6:44 AM, Joe33472 said:

Good morning!  Ship was rocking a little last night and it's overcast and the sea has whitecaps.   

Charging my watch on the wall just makes me smile.   Not only does it save space on the desk area, it's just fun to look at.  Wonder how I could do this at home 🤣

Heading off soon to Windjammer to check it out.  

IMG_2288.thumb.JPG.6af2ec5a83e37da2f80ea3bcce054d1e.JPG

I love your watch charging on the wall! 😂 

• Like 1

Went to see The Book last night. Not sure I followed the storyline, but the music and singing were exceptional. The dancing and the whole production was fantastic. I was fully entertained and would suggest it for everyone to see at least once. 
You must have reservations. They check for them at the door, get there early as seats go very fast. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, LooneyCruzer said:

Went to see The Book last night. Not sure I followed the storyline, but the music and singing were exceptional. The dancing and the whole production was fantastic. I was fully entertained and would suggest it for everyone to see at least once. 
You must have reservations. They check for them at the door, get there early as seats go very fast. 

I don't think there really is a story line. I *think* it is about the various adventures that you can experience by reading a book. So you get unrelated segments with no actual story.

Agree about getting there early as many of the seats are very uncomfortable or have poor sight lines.

• Like 2

We decided to have breakfast in our stateroom because we are doing the galley tour at 11 a.m. and I really messed up the order.   I didn't realize that things already came in multiples so we received so much food it was bananas.  🤣 You'd think we were having breakfast for 8 people.... My girlfriend wanted 2 blueberry pancakes so I put 2, and two orders came.   I wanted 8 creamers for the coffee thinking it was those little cups you get at a restaurant and I think we received two cups of creamer.   We wanted two hashbrowns and received so many I'm not sure what I did.  

We opted for a combination of continental breakfast items and some things from the American breakfast menu.  The food was warm and similar to what's in the Windjammer. 

I'm know that we're not supposed to put the trays out in the hall, but wonder if room service knows to come and retrieve all these trays or if I need to call.  Thanks in advance.

IMG_2316.thumb.jpeg.6686bee84a61df25f938033613986a84.jpeg

IMG_2315.thumb.jpeg.4c0d120f5ed5fded8f167d4f23433a5e.jpeg

• Haha 1